What's new

Discussion NRS Patching - Genuine Balance or Mere Tier Shifting?

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I think NRS cares, they are just really bad at balancing their games. Sales are definitely their number one priority, but the competitive scene is very important to them. They clearly see the appeal of eSports.

Hopefully they will get better advice on balance from some of the competitive players they've hired lately.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
From my perspective, nerfing the targets is justice.

It only hurts the tier whores. For everyone else, it brings relief.

I hope they nerf Alien so bad that players don't even see it when selecting - or they have to pause to mourn it's passing.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
It only hurts the tier whores.
The reality is that most high level players are "tier whores" across all fighting games. Few players place top 8 with mid and low tier characters. Almost none win major tournaments like CEO and EVO. In Street Fighter V, Infiltration wins with Nash, who is top 5. In Marvel, Chris G. wins with Morrigan, who is top 5. In Mortal Kombat X, Sonic Fox wins with Alien, who is top 5. In Tekken 7, Knee wins with Bryan, who is top 5. Etc.

Destroying Alien will do nothing but create unbalances. High level players will simply pick the next top tier character and win. The community will get fed up and complain and thus another cycle begins. The game would be much better off if Alien were normalized slightly. We have already seen a hundred times by now that excessive negative changes never work out for NRS.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
The reality is that most high level players are "tier whores" across all fighting games. Few players place top 8 with mid and low tier characters. Almost none win major tournaments like CEO and EVO. In Street Fighter V, Infiltration wins with Nash, who is top 5. In Marvel, Chris G. wins with Morrigan, who is top 5. In Mortal Kombat X, Sonic Fox wins with Alien, who is top 5. In Tekken 7, Knee wins with Bryan, who is top 5. Etc.

Destroying Alien will do nothing but create unbalances. High level players will simply pick the next top tier character and win. The community will get fed up and complain and thus another cycle begins. The game would be much better off if Alien were normalized slightly. We have already seen a hundred times by now that excessive negative changes never work out for NRS.
I never blame any top player for using a top tier, but when casuals do it - its tier whoring, IMO.

I'm just so fed up with Alien. You know how many bums think they're actually good playing Acidic? There are a lot.

I know that you're right, but I want Alien's blood at this point. I just don't wanna see it anymore.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3

Can you confirm that i'm not a tier whore?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I feel like what's really ruining it for game balance is the lack of any rules or standards whatsoever. Tools are not really defined as balancing factors, hitbox size does not yield different balance changes and so on. Better respected fighting games such as soul calibur or tekken have their own rules like every character has a poke of the same speed and/or size means damage and reach which in turn affects speed.