What's new

Question - Sonya Blade Normals beating x-ray bug?

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®

I was fighting this guy and Kung Jin's NJP beat Sonya's x-ray. Since Sonya's x-ray is a parry, this isn't supposed to happen, right??

Tested with a few other characters too. Her x-ray loses to:

Alien b3
Takeda Shirai Ryu s2, b1, b2
BRC Bartitsu d4
Leatherface d4
Predator d4
Ferra/Torr NJP
Tremor d4
Tanya Dragon Naginata b2, b1, ud2(1), ud2(3), diagonal db2
D'vorah f2
Probably others too...

I guess long-range normals beat her x-ray. Is this a bug?

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
Not a bug, X-Parries (Sonya, Sub-Zero and Tri-Borg Sub-Zero) are different than regular parries in that some attacks that normally ignore regular parries (like projectiles) are still affected if the opponent is close enough. If he's still too far it won't be parried. For example Cryo Sub-Zero Hammer won't be affected from max range IIRC but it will be parried if he is too close.

Mykal NS

Demolition Sonya Main / Downplayer
This only happens when normals are outside the hitbox of the xray. All rays that parry have an aoe that registers when an opponent is near. If the normal is outside the hitbox then the X Ray loses since Sonya doesn't have armor on her parry. One of the ways to balance her xray. If it had armor too OMG. Lol. But yeah. This is normal.

Edit: I mean normals that don't have a close hitbox when approaching the X Ray. If the njp was closer then it would lose. Spaced out it wins. That's why those other listed normals lose.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I don't like this with normals and specials. With projectiles from a certain distance it makes sense, but making a read of aliens b3 for example and it beats the x ray seems silly to me.

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
I just feel like it's strange that a normal beats a parry x-ray. I tested this on Sub and CSZ's x-rays. They at least have armor on start-up, but the result is the same. However, they can cancel out of their x-rays. Sonya just gets blown up by a normal, which I think is silly.

Shaikhuzzaman

magicmeerkatman
I just feel like it's strange that a normal beats a parry x-ray. I tested this on Sub and CSZ's x-rays. They at least have armor on start-up, but the result is the same. However, they can cancel out of their x-rays. Sonya just gets blown up by a normal, which I think is silly.
How long do you think Sonyas arms are

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
She doesn't need armor on her xray because it has 2f startup, and the first frame is probably invincible. And her xray has much much less recovery too

scarsunseen

Miley Cyrax®
She doesn't need armor on her xray because it has 2f startup, and the first frame is probably invincible. And her xray has much much less recovery too
Very true. I suppose I was just surprised when I saw an NJP beat Sonya's x-Ray. After playing the game for a year, I've NEVER seen any normals beat her x-ray. Thanks for contributing to this conversation, guys. Case closed, I guess!