What's new

Match-up Discussion Noob vs Smoke

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I don't understand where I want to be in this match-up, because it seems like Smoke was MADE to be a counter-pick for NS. If I try to zone, I'll eventually get Shaken the fuck down. Trying to rush will get Smoke playing keep-away and I'll eat a smoke bomb and die.

Right now the best option I've had is trying to play an aggressive footsies and pushing Smoke into the corner(where he's dead without meter) without putting myself in there as well, but this proves really difficult sometimes. Is there any general strategy I should follow when playing mid-screen?

Also, as an extra question; can Smoke be hit out of his EX Tele-punch in the first hit animation?

Phanatic

RM Phanatic
When i play against smoke and try to out zone him i tend to blend in my teleports with my shadows to keep him guessing also. Let him shake if he wants he will eat a teleport and run away smokes will just put themselves in the corner which is where noob wants the majority of characters to be anyway and if smoke tele-punch just block it cause it cant be more obvious when he's about to do it.

I don't understand where I want to be in this match-up, because it seems like Smoke was MADE to be a counter-pick for NS. If I try to zone, I'll eventually get Shaken the fuck down. Trying to rush will get Smoke playing keep-away and I'll eat a smoke bomb and die.

Right now the best option I've had is trying to play an aggressive footsies and pushing Smoke into the corner(where he's dead without meter) without putting myself in there as well, but this proves really difficult sometimes. Is there any general strategy I should follow when playing mid-screen?

Also, as an extra question; can Smoke be hit out of his EX Tele-punch in the first hit animation?
the trick to a rushdown game in this matchup is to catch smoke in the corner. make sure to stuff his tele with a physical and start your corner game. this is a very patient match, and it's really bad for noob, but it's doable if you catch him once per round and dont get caught by his gimmicks. (this is all what i gathered from watching madzin vs gross this weekend, i no longer play either noob or smoke)
if he telepunches just block it, you get free damage (though gross seems to have secret tech that he telepunches but stops just short on the first hit, it's very strange and he was pissing off a tired and distracted Pig Of The Hut with it).

RYX

BIG PUSHER
I spam low pokes in this MU whenever I'm in range, does that help?

Also the question was about a gimmick I've been trying to work out, I haven't been able to stuff an EX Telepunch quickly enough but I can do it with the meterless one and it traps him in a portal. It works on Raiden too. :D

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
bait telepunches and shakes with portals behind or in front . punish specials with teleslam . abuse upknee

ABUSE upknee. Although it takes solid reactions, you can teleslam smoke bombs on reaction, making him respect your answer to smoke bomb while pushing him to the corner. You can throw shadows in jump distance to whiff punish a lot of smoke's effort to get pressure going. In the corner, Upknee will stuff smoke's teleport on reaction, where you can D1-> upknee and carry him from there. Other than that, just sustain good spacing and don't fall victim to his rushdown. Heavy footsies match.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Grolar I love you, thanks for the help. Smoke should be a lot easier for me to handle now.

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Teleslam when he smoke balls on reaction. Be smart about how you use D4 on his wakeup game. Don't eat the overhead. Save meter if he decides to do his guaranteed reset. Don't use projectiles for zoning use them for spacing. Make sure you no farther than Midscreen. Tough MU tbh

If you want to waste meter both EX tackle and slide count as physical moves not projectiles. Id be careful with his though.

InFlames

dead
You can do 12 or Up Knee while they are in Smoke Away, crouching whiffs all his wake-ups for a good punish. Just rush down and try to keep them close. The best thing to do at full-screen is try to bait a Shake into Tele. In certain traps Smoke has no real way out except EX moves which is worth it since you don't want to deal with resets.

Or just counter-pick. :3