What's new

Strategy - Sub-Zero No variation

boba_buster

Noob saibot
I love no variation , no extra unsafe moves to use when I shouldn't. Less options means less thing to thing about. Gives me excuses to use throws that I never use , I feel like I have way more breathing room. Am I the only one who actually does better with no variation?!?

boba_buster

Noob saibot
It just seems like I make better decisions without all the extras, with gm I'm always trying to get them to the corner , with cryo Im always going for the mix up and unbreakable I'm always wasting time putting up aura just to smash it for an extra 2% damage , with no variation I just focus on winning

boba_buster

Noob saibot
But he's not missing anything needed. Been playing no variation again for 3 days now and I do better than with variations lol. Got sum good hate mail yesterday.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I worry about his pressure. He doesn't have much in the way of strings besides f33, and even that's -3. The only way to get pressure out of that is to read a response and ex frost bomb through it, or maybe back dash > whiff punish.

Stand 1 and stand 4 are neutral on block, but they're both high and only hit once. I do occasionally catch blocking opponents with stagger stand 1, 1, 123 but that's gimmicky and gets bopped by every panic low poke out there. I honestly use it for the slight extra meter gain over pressure and it just so happens to hit.

Do you "need" safe, reliable pressure? Well I guess it depends on what the opponent has. No variation SZ does well enough, but I think he's missing some elements. Which is to say most of his variations are missing those elements as well.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
That's my point , none of his variations give him any necessities that he doesn't already have
"Need" is kind of a strange term. No character needs anything really, one attack and some movement and you've got a fighting game. But it's MK, not Dive Kick. Having a variation is basically like having the option to buff your character. You can still play no variation style, but then decide to throw a hammer in someone's face after a hit confirm :p

Lokheit

Noob
I mean... you can pick a variation and not use the variation stuff, but being able to use it is still better than not having options at all.

No variation Sub loses to any other Sub. If it's a mindset problem, just stop trying too hard the stuff you said when you play a variation and just follow the game's flow.

For example, you said with Cryo you're always going for the mixup, when Cryo should be about patience and keeping your opponent one step away to be able to react with anything. Play Cryo like you play no variation Sub and you will be better as your EX freeze combos are now more damaging EX hammer combos always ended on hard knockdowns thanks to coldblooded into normal hammer.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Lol the funny thing is I slaughter gm's and cryo's online all the time with no variation. But to be fair I have been playing since release so I'm sure it would be harder against other experienced sub mains

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
Just playing like you do no variation and only using a Clone when its safe and you got plus frames in the corner, or every now and again just randomly surprising your opponent with it in the neutral, and bam.

Sub is cool with his variations. They all just "add" different buffs or tools to the character without changing him fundamentally, unlike say Kenshi. If you get super comfortable playing with no variation, your neutral game will be really insane and adding to it by ramping your damage up, or never taking chip damage, or having corner jail, could only do wonders. Stick with no variation as long as you want, but once you are super comfortable I'd switch variation.

PS Cryo doesn't really add anything very unsafe, so if thats your worry you could always play him. As Lokheit said, it sounds like the added tools are making you PLAY unsafely, which is really unnecessary - play like you normally would and just take your extra 15% on combos :D The only change youd really need to work into your neutral is EX-Hammer for armouring through pokes or whatever else.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Yeah man, I'm gonna be on tonight for a while. Just message me when you're online and we'll have GG's.

EDIT: Anyone who reads is invited as well. PS4, tag is Ree301.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Played around with unbreakable and gm last night , but every time I run cancel into b12xxdb1 it comes out as b1xxdb2
Drives me nuts

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
It just seems like I make better decisions without all the extras, with gm I'm always trying to get them to the corner , with cryo Im always going for the mix up and unbreakable I'm always wasting time putting up aura just to smash it for an extra 2% damage , with no variation I just focus on winning
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't playing without a variation only an option in practice mode? I'm just not understanding what decisions would be made in practice mode.

Playing no variation would be a good way to troll someone, but there isn't a character in the game that would benefit from playing this way over even their shittiest variation. I'm just not sure what the point of this thread is.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Point of the thread is if no variation option of a character does not loose anything actully needed for any MU's then it's just as viable without the extra options of moves , sub zero in perticular has everything he needs without a variation . Started the thread because I realized I play better without the extra moves.