What's new

No Robert Englund? Fail.

Ulturas

Noob
Completely agree with the OP Freddy was the best when Englund played him and I really hoped it would've been the original skin for Freddy. Not to take from Jackie Earle Hayleys performance in the 2010 remake he was the only good actor on the movie lol... NRS have gone a weird and awkward path in the MK series now it brings about questions about what other surprise characters are in stall for us further down the track. But yea with that said I for one am looking forward to what kinda things Freddy is capable of in MK9 :).

Kwon

---->----
NRS have gone a weird and awkward path in the MK series now it brings about questions about what other surprise characters are in stall for us further down the track.
As long as we don't have to see Voldemort, Popeye, Yoda, Barney, Edward Scissorhands or Lil Wayne in the future, it's all good!

Looking forward to future DLCs!

eks

Noob
Exactly what would they change aside from the face and gloves to be a classic costume for him? The reason I ask is because I don't see them doing either. They would have to pay Englund likeness rights if they used his face and removing a claw doesn't seem like it would be enough for an alt outfit. Are there any other major differences from MK Freddy's appearance and the one from the old movies?

And sorry, Kwon, but I would absolutely LOVE doing Noob's Wishbone on Lil Wayne. The ony bad part is that I wouldn't be able to do it IRL.

As long as we don't have to see Voldemort, Popeye, Yoda, Barney, Edward Scissorhands or Lil Wayne in the future, it's all good!

Slippery Slope Fallacy:

Based on the idea that an object placed at the top of a slippery slope will slide all the way to the bottom if given even a small nudge, the Slippery Slope fallacy is arguing that even a small step taken in one direction will lead to some drastic consequence. This argument usually ignores the individual connections between events in favour of simply linking one event inevitably to another.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1748#comic

tl;dr: you're not being witty. You're actually coming off like a bad TV Troper.

Ulturas

Noob

I don't know why but when you said Edward Scissorhands I immediately thought of the Headless Horseman from Sleepy Hollow, guess I'm connecting the dots of Tim Burton movies lol... but the Headless Horseman would actually be pretty epic as a character haha xD.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
While Englund was awesome, I doubt they could get the rights to him since I read WB had no interest in using him for the reboot movie...which means getting him would be an issue. Would be cool though to see him as an alternate costume.

Kwon

---->----
I don't know why but when you said Edward Scissorhands I immediately thought of the Headless Horseman from Sleepy Hollow, guess I'm connecting the dots of Tim Burton movies lol... but the Headless Horseman would actually be pretty epic as a character haha xD.
Now, Headless Horseman is a COMPLETELY different beast than Eddie Scissorfingers! :D

While Englund was awesome, I doubt they could get the rights to him since I read WB had no interest in using him for the reboot movie...which means getting him would be an issue. Would be cool though to see him as an alternate costume.
Where did you read that? The reason he didn't come back was because he was too old to play Freddy, and officially retired from the role by his own admission.

The New Nightmare version would be wicked. That was a much darker side to Krueger that would be an excellent fit for MK.

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
The New Nightmare version would be wicked. That was a much darker side to Krueger that would be an excellent fit for MK.
A number of the fans of the NOES series have ritualistically dogged on that installment but I absolutely loved it. I personally believe that Freddy never looked better. That would have been a nice happy medium but as other members have pointed out, this is most likely a plug for the upcoming installment. It makes sense, but as a fan of the original series that design would have bumped Freddy at least three notches up.

Haley's performance has been compared to Englund's during the infancy of the series but I have to differ in that I believe Englund at his darkest was still a very animated Freddy whereas Haley was rather stale. Not bad, just not the same.

I just stumbled in from the bar so I'm really hoping I'm in the correct thread. Somebody here apparently holds NOES 2 in high regard. Whoever you are, watch the movie again and tell me with a straight face that the movie isn't riddled with homosexual innuendos. I'm not a phobe but seriously, that movie's very suspect. Still awesome when held up against 4 and beyond, but still questionable.

Ulturas

Noob
A number of the fans of the NOES series have ritualistically dogged on that installment but I absolutely loved it. I personally believe that Freddy never looked better. That would have been a nice happy medium but as other members have pointed out, this is most likely a plug for the upcoming installment. It makes sense, but as a fan of the original series that design would have bumped Freddy at least three notches up.

Haley's performance has been compared to Englund's during the infancy of the series but I have to differ in that I believe Englund at his darkest was still a very animated Freddy whereas Haley was rather stale. Not bad, just not the same.

I just stumbled in from the bar so I'm really hoping I'm in the correct thread. Somebody here apparently holds NOES 2 in high regard. Whoever you are, watch the movie again and tell me with a straight face that the movie isn't riddled with homosexual innuendos. I'm not a phobe but seriously, that movie's very suspect. Still awesome when held up against 4 and beyond, but still questionable.
New Nightmare was the first Freddy Krueger movie I ever saw and I thought it was brilliant as well xD. Was really dark and twisted in comparison to the NOES movies in a good way, reminded me of the first few Hellraiser movies :D. Man I'm actually going to watch it again tonight haha haven't seen it in years!

Haley to me just seemed like he was still playing Rorschach from Watchmen not Freddy Krueger so I agree the performance was bland in comparison to Englunds performance on every Nightmare movie.

LMFAO all I gotta say to your last paragraph xD. Absolutely cracked me up I might watch NOES 2 and act homophobic just to see what you mean hahaha.

CrashLand

Ready for Freddy
No reason to be suspicious, I'm pretty sure the writer flat-out admitted he filled the movie with gay overtones on purpose.

Ulturas

Noob
Now, Headless Horseman is a COMPLETELY different beast than Eddie Scissorfingers! :D
Would be such an epic character to have as well! Purely because Sleepy Hollow is based on actual Folklore xD. And he looked like he knew how to fight pretty well in the movie haha.

wolfe

Noob
i agree in that robert englund wouldve been better.

the thing about the new nightmare movie is its a remake of hte first, where robert englund was the least vocal, the least humorous as well of the rest. They tried to emulate taht with the new nightmare but...honsetly...i think it fell a bit flat. too much 3d graphics not enough low tech stuff like puppetry/animotronics. remember the cloth wall in the original noes where he sticks his face in? that was freaking creepy. the 3d wall? /snore

No reason to be suspicious, I'm pretty sure the writer flat-out admitted he filled the movie with gay overtones on purpose.
The director later went on to do some minor LGBT films, and the actor who played the lead is openly gay.

So, yeah, I'd be hard pressed to believe it wasn't deliberate.

Still... as a gay guy, even I have to say: NOES2? Please tone it down a little.

Englund would sue the pants off of WB if they used his image/characterization. Last interview I saw with him he was pretty salty about the reboot, considering this was the only thing he ever had going for him. If he's not allowed to portray the character in his own way anymore, then WB shouldn't portray the character with his persona. Though I do believe he is the definitive Freddy.

Englund would sue the pants off of WB if they used his image/characterization. Last interview I saw with him he was pretty salty about the reboot, considering this was the only thing he ever had going for him. If he's not allowed to portray the character in his own way anymore, then WB shouldn't portray the character with his persona. Though I do believe he is the definitive Freddy.
Really now?

Really now?

Heh, so I guess he isn't as salty as I thought I had read. Still, from his interviews about the remake, he seems pleased with the cast and is fine with the fact that it was remade (there are only so many stories out there), but from this panel he didn't seem entirely pleased (almost let down) with the direction the film took and its 'benign' use of CG. Regardless of how he feels, WB is pretty much dead set on continuing the 'new Freddy'. Its their character now, so I doubt we'll ever see the original Freddy in a new medium.