What's new

Nightwolf vs. Cyrax...HELP!!!

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
Okay so last night I was at CEO Winterfest and I managed to get in a few casual games with Noobe (Ozzie). His Cyrax is absolutely incredible and I have no idea how to beat it. He totally annihilated my Nightwolf lol Once the video is up I will post it in this thread. I did what I could but I had no clue how to punish him. Any help will be greatly appreciated since I will be working on this match up for Final Round.

Thank you!

Big D

He had his rushdown moments for sure. Btw, good stuff on the online matches!

Well I don't know much about Nightwolf tbh but just looking at that video I think part of the problem is bad use of meter.

You did some EN shoulders and EN lightning that seemed desperate or just random. No matter what character you pick, you should probably keep all your meter for breakers vs Cyrax lol. Unless you're Quan Chi or something. But that's just my opinion.

Karnage

Ancestors give me Strength!!
yeah pretty much what vulcan said about the meter. its just with cyrax since his damage is insane, save it for breakers.

ex shoulder is awesome, but i think there were a few times you shouldn't have used it, especially on wakeup since you get some invincibility on it.

also dont be afraid to be at a distance with cyrax, and try not to hold block -
- far bomb answer with lightning
-net reflect obviously which you did
-close/medium bombs can all be shouldered

its a pain in the arse to fight cyrax, be patient and react well. i have casuals with mustard on a weekly basis..feel sorry for me!!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Yes meter management is huge here...I play the match with building meter as my main concern and I always try to keep the life lead.

You used meter on ex shoulder but I prefer to use meter on breakers and absorb. I use absorb and reflect to build life lead/meter and make cyrax not throw out as many nets and more bombs.

When nets are less of a threat yu can trade arrow or lightning with bombs because yu should still be able to move out of the way before they explode.

You also tried lightning traps on wakeup. Against cyrax you cannot do this. His air grab gets hm out with minimal risk. When yu are up close to him yu need to bait the air grab and uppercut. You didn't punish it at all and yu jumped too much. Stay patient and react to him.

You need to punish every teleport he does with standing 1. It will hit him in the air and you can juggle him for mid 20 damage. You just let his pressure get to you but tons of it is unsafe.

Main points:
Meter management
Maintain life lead
Punish air grab with uppercut
Punish teleport with standing 1
Don't use lightning traps on wakeup
Turtle him out.

Eh SnOwY

PC FGC
Not bad NW, looks to me that you got outplayed by his rushdown. and yeah dont waste too many bars on lightnings, otherwise good :p

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Yes meter management is huge here...I play the match with building meter as my main concern and I always try to keep the life lead.

You used meter on ex shoulder but I prefer to use meter on breakers and absorb. I use absorb and reflect to build life lead/meter and make cyrax not throw out as many nets and more bombs.

When nets are less of a threat yu can trade arrow or lightning with bombs because yu should still be able to move out of the way before they explode.

You also tried lightning traps on wakeup. Against cyrax you cannot do this. His air grab gets hm out with minimal risk. When yu are up close to him yu need to bait the air grab and uppercut. You didn't punish it at all and yu jumped too much. Stay patient and react to him.

You need to punish every teleport he does with standing 1. It will hit him in the air and you can juggle him for mid 20 damage. You just let his pressure get to you but tons of it is unsafe.

Main points:
Meter management
Maintain life lead
Punish air grab with uppercut
Punish teleport with standing 1
Don't use lightning traps on wakeup
Turtle him out.
All this.

And only break Cyrax's combo after the player uses an EX bomb. That way you at least trade two of your bars for one of Cyrax's.

jdhelvick

GET SCALPED
Yeah meter management and punish everything. Personally I rarely even go for lightning "traps". Also when mid screen try ending combos in choke or my personal favorite f3 b4, to keep cyrax close and the pressure on him. I noticed you ended one of your combos with choke but didn't follow it up. You could have shouldered to close the distance then d1 axe pressure to catch him out of the air grab for 20+% percent.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
D1 axe won't work on air grab. Invincibility frames get him out of everything on wakeup. I would shoulder in then bait air grab for uppercut

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
first off congrats on your tourny win,its great to see nightwolf getting repped.i think the one thing i noticed the most in this video is that he was getting alot of free jump ins,into 21 net stupid damage combo which was mainly because i saw you duck blocking a few too many times when it looked like you could of just aa him with standing 1 into combo. nightwolfs standing 1 is one of the best antiair moves in the game but i dont need to tell you that,your nightwolf is a million times better than mine so i'll stfu now for my opinion doesnt really matter seeing as im not a top level player.

jdhelvick

GET SCALPED
I'm not saying d1 the very instant you close the distance. But once he is air born you can still d1 axe for 20+% similar to how you can still uppercut once hes in the air. Same frame speed. much better damage output.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
Okay so last night I was at CEO Winterfest and I managed to get in a few casual games with Noobe (Ozzie). His Cyrax is absolutely incredible and I have no idea how to beat it. He totally annihilated my Nightwolf lol Once the video is up I will post it in this thread. I did what I could but I had no clue how to punish him. Any help will be greatly appreciated since I will be working on this match up for Final Round.

Thank you!
If you have an Xbox I'd gladly play your nightwolf, my cyrax plays a lot like his but mine is a bit more rush down oriented. I also have a good connection :p.

Big D

Ok well I just want to start off and say thank you all for your advice. After reading all of your comments and then watching the video, I am starting to see how I need to change my tactics with Cyrax. I will definitely be good at this match up for FR. As for "A L E X," I do play xbox lol. Go ahead and send me a request. My GT is KEYxMExBRAH

OFF TOPIC...but...

I am also having HUGE troubles against good Kabals; and seeing as I hear REO is going to be at FR, I could really use some help with that. Thanks a bunch! :)

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
All nw are screwed with reos Kabal. That's why I am training raiden. Iaf are terrible for nw.

If anyone has real answers I am interested to know how they would fight Kabal. I can beat all other kabals except michaelangelos and reos. It's been a while since I fought those matchups(evo) but I'm prepared for the worst.

Big D

:eek: I guess Im learning a new character for those matches (thats if I get that far at FR lol)

Big D

Thank you! I believe I played you online not too long ago as well. Your GT is familiar lol (classic GT btw). I know Ermac and SZ really well but I dont think either stand a chance against REOs Kabal either. Thinking about Smoke atm...

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ermac isn't bad against kabal. His fire ball lowers his hitbox under iaf, he has a 6frame d1 for interrupting dash cancelling, but lacks armor.

I thnk that might be 5-5. There is some nw tech I might try against kabal but I don't get the matchup in ATL so I need to play Detroit online or something.

Big D

Ok let me know how it goes. I guess I'll work with Ermac a bit more since I know him A LOT more than Smoke lol