What's new

Nightwolf Guide Feedback

NIGHTWOLF:

BEST NORMALS:
*:fp:bp:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:H,M,M(overhead),M(overhead) - 4 hit jab string that gives Nightwolf big advantage on hit and leaves the opponent standing right in front of you. safe on block. the last 2 hits are both overhead attacks so both hits must be blocked standing.

*:l+:bp:bp:fpHIT LEVEL:M,M(overhead),M(overhead) - 3 hit string that gives Nightwolf big advantage on hit and leaves the opponent standing right in front of you. safe on block. the last 2 hits are both overhead attacks so both hits must be blocked standing.

*:r+:fk:fpHIT LEVEL:M,M - 2 hit string. safe on block. has a big natural looking delay even though the string isnt being delayed.

SPECIALS:
*Shoulder:)r:r+:bk)HIT LEVEL:H - classic shoulder ram. cant be punished by uppercut if crouch blocked and punished by full combos if crouched without block.

*Hatchet:)d:r+:fp)HIT LEVEL:M - safe mid launcher. UMK3 revisited.

*Arrow:)d:l+:fp)HIT LEVEL:H - high projectile. is safe on stand block even up close. if crouched or crouched blocked can be punished.

*Reflect:)d:l+:bp)HIT LEVEL:N/A - reflects most projectiles back to the opponent. will not work on some :en projectiles such as Sub-Zero :en freeze or KL :en hat throw. will not work vs some normal projectiles such as any of Noob's, Cyrax net, etc.. when reflecting moves like Noob's projectiles, while you wont send the projectile back at him, you will gain meter for doing the reflect while not taking damage from the projectile.

*Lightning:)d:l+:fk)HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - unblockable lightning bolt that causes a knock down. must be jumped to avoid. if jumped Nightwolf can be punished from almost full screen.

:en MOVES:
*:en Shoulder:)r:r+:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H,M - 2 hit shoulder rush. safe on block but you can uppercut before the second hit comes out of you crouch the first hit.

*:en Hatchet:)d:r+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M,M - safe mid double hatchet launcher. used to extend combos.

*:en Arrow:)d:l+:fp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:H,M,M at the same time - 3 hit projectile shooting 3 arrows out at once.

*:en Reflect:)d:l+:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - does not reflect but instead absorbs and give Nightwolf back some health. will absorb any projectile including :en freeze.

*:en Lightning:)d:l+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:Unblockable - unblockable lightning bolt that launches and has a bigger hit box. must be jumped to avoid. if jumped Nightwolf can be punished from almost full screen.

STRATEGY:

Random Shoulders:
yup, still good. great way to get ppl so stop moving and do nothing but crouch or crouch block.

Lightning and :en Lightning:
when you get players committing to crouch or crouch block to counter shoulders you can use lightning. VERY hard to react to standard lighting from crouch or crouch block and its IMPOSSIBLE to react to :en lightning from the same position. most of the time opponents kinda have to pick their poison, you either eat shoulders or :en lightning launchers.

:en Reflect:
because of this, trying to close Nightwolf out with zoning when he has meter is useless because all that happens is he will gain health back.

:fp:bp:bp:fp and :l:bp:bp:fp:
on block these strings build meter well. you can cancel either of these strings on the second to last hit with any special.

:r+:fk:fp String:
this is Nightwolf's best normal attack. the :r+:fk goes to the ground so it will actually otg players choosing to remain grounded. next is the natural delay the string has. :r+:fk:fp has such a great natural delay that you can mix up between the first or second hit with a throw or looping the string. you can also cancel with hatchet after the second hit and you can slightly delay an already natural delayed hatchet allowing you to throw or loop the string again even after both hits are blocked. besides throwing or looping the string as a mix up you can also poke with the string then cross up jump in and if the opponent tries a last second interrupt, you will get a free jump in combo. even if the jump in is blocked you can still poke with the string again. you can also hit confirm the string then link in hatchet.

Hatchet:
once you get the move on the screen and its in its green frames(when it turns green) the actual hatchet is invincible and acts as a shield. you can use this as anti air if you get it on screen early. hatchet is also good because of its range. dash hatchet so it makes contact at max range is a great tactic because it will out range attacks and catch players jumping/dashing forward or backward.

:en Lightning Set Up:
after shoulder hits :en lighting is guaranteed unless the opponent has an advancing invincible wake up attack.

Wake Up:
when you wake up attack your :en hatchet, :en command throw, and shoulder are invincible. even if someone tries to defend vs those options you can then wake up :en lightning, and while you wont be invincible on the lightning, its used as a mix up for players trying to avoid your other wake up options. vs players trying to pressure you on wake up with zoning you can wake up with reflect.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. :en lightning, uppercut/shoulder

2. :en lightning, hatchet, dash :fp:fp~arrow/:en arrow, shoulder

3. :en lightning, hatchet, dash :bp~hatchet, shoulder

4. :en lightning, hatchet, dash :bp~:en hatchet, :l+:bp:bp~shoulder

5. :fp:bp:bp:fp/:l+:bp:bp:fp: :en lightning, hatchet, dash :fp:fp~arrow/:en arrow, shoulder

6. :fp:bp:bp:fp/:l+:bp:bp:fp: :en lightning, hatchet, dash :bp~hatchet, shoulder

7. :fp:bp:bp:fp/:l+:bp:bp:fp: :en lightning, hatchet, dash :bp~:en hatchet, :l+:bp:bp~shoulder

8. hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, dash :fp:fp~arrow/:en arrow, shoulder

9. hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, dash :bp~hatchet, shoulder

10. hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, dash :bp~:en hatchet, :l:bp:bp~shoulder

11. (opponent in corner) hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, :bp~hatchet, :d+:fp~command throw/:en command throw

12. (opponent in corner) hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, :bp~:en hatchet, :l:bp:bp~command throw/:en command throw

:x COMBOS:
1. hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: :x

2. hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, :l+:bp:bp~:x

3. (opponent in corner) hatchet/:r+:fk:fp~hatchet/:l:bp:bp~hatchet/:fp:bp:bp~hatchet: hatchet, :bp~hatchet, :d+:fp~:x

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
Hatchet, :l+:bp~hatchet, shoulder/:enshoulder

Hatchet, dash :fp, :l+:bp~command throw/:en command throw

Hatchet, :l+:bp~:enhatchet, :l+:bp:bp~shoulder/:enshoulder

Hatchet, :l+:bp:x

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Hatchet, :l:bp~hatchet, dash :fp:bp:bp~shoulder
Hatchet, :l:bp~:enhatchet, :fp dash :fp:bp:bp~shoulder

hatchet, :l:bp~hatchet, dash :fp:bp~:x

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
The negative edge for his :fp:bp:bp~Hatchet is pretty annoying.
i usually just do :bp:fk~hatchet

Gemini Knight

Astaroth needs Fatalities
Hatchet, Hatchet, Dash :fp, :l:bp:bp~shoulder
Hatchet, Hatchet, Dash :fp:fp~arrow, shoulder
Hatchet, Hatchet, Dash :fp, Dash :fp, Dash :fp:bp:bp~shoulder
Hatchet, Hatchet, Dash :fp, :l:bp~:x

Corner combo:
Hatchet, Hatchet, :fp, :r:fk:fp:bp, :fp:bp:bp~Shoulder/:enShoulder/:x
Hatchet, :l:bp~Hatchet, :r:fk:fp:bp, :fp:bp:bp~Shoulder/:enShoulder
Hatchet, :l:bp~Hatchet, :r:fk:fp:bp, :fp:fp:x

Plus, check did a vid on Nightwolf combos with some nasty corner combos.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
Was messing around with him yesterday and the negative edge just killed him for me. NRS needs to limit the window imo

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Messed around with nightwolf for a couple hours and came up with some pretty good stuff it doesn't look like much of them are listed on here but they may spark some ideas for some people. Some really good corner juggles meter and meter less, openfield x-rays and some wall carry.

My psn has obviously been down so if there where any on the fly patches that came out that might negate some of these combos I am sorry.

If anyone wants to interpret the commands if there is anything of use please feel free.
http://youtu.be/atezRqLOcqg

Nightwolf needs a combo video thread btw.

Messed around with nightwolf for a couple hours and came up with some pretty good stuff it doesn't look like much of them are listed on here but they may spark some ideas for some people. Some really good corner juggles meter and meter less, openfield x-rays and some wall carry.

My psn has obviously been down so if there where any on the fly patches that came out that might negate some of these combos I am sorry.

If anyone wants to interpret the commands if there is anything of use please feel free.
http://youtu.be/atezRqLOcqg

Nightwolf needs a combo video thread btw.
Nice video, I've been working on a few combos that I haven't seen here and will be posting them after I've had a chance to wring the most out of them.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Right on thanks thanks man, I wish I would of saw checks video first I would of had so much more inspiration but it is what it is. Can't wait to see what you come up with bro.

Griefa

Noob
This is either a 40 or 43% midscreen depending on if you jump in or not. Also it requires one EX bar, unfortunately:

3,1, hatchet, <--2, 2, tomahawk, dash, 1,2, strangle.

I love to finish with strangle because the wakeup is perfectly timed for a lightning which forces them either to jump or wakeup attack.

Another one I like a lot that is 2-3% lower than the standard double hatchet arrow charge is:

3,2,hatchet,1, dash, 1,2, strangle.

Again, the strangle sets up a perfect lightning, or ex lightning charge combo followup.

Lt.Blade

Noob
Well I'm guessing this is the Combo thread as well judging by posts ^_^ here are a couple of combo videos I have.

Great guide Tom! I also picked up Nightwolf since he was my main in UMK3. He really fits my aggressive playstyle so I might end up maining him. :)

Small vid I just made after hitting the lab with Nightwolf:

I know there's also a 45% or more midscreen that's possible but I can't do it. Is it character specific? I also can't seem to land a neutral jump :bp after 2, 1, 1 xx Axe in the corner.

d3c0yBoY

Noob
Great guide Tom! I also picked up Nightwolf since he was my main in UMK3. He really fits my aggressive playstyle so I might end up maining him. :)

Small vid I just made after hitting the lab with Nightwolf:

I know there's also a 45% or more midscreen that's possible but I can't do it. Is it character specific? I also can't seem to land a neutral jump :bp after 2, 1, 1 xx Axe in the corner.
Great job. Give us more.

Jay9k

Noob
Midscreen BnBs:
j1 > 122 > hatchet > 1 > hatchet > dash > 1 > dash > 122 > shoulder (37%)

j1 >122 > hatchet > 1 > dash > 1 > dash > 1 > dash > 2 > choke grab (35%)

you can replace the 122 with f+31 or b+122 at the start up i really like nightwolf not sure if i wanna main him but hes a beast for sure