What's new

Nightwolf General Questions Thread!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ok guys if you don't watch the show you should tonight because NW is the character of the night. And I'm so excited I get to be the guest on the show! Silent asked me to get on and show how I use him and why. I'll be answering questions about the character and match ups. You can't miss it!

I can't wait so please make it HYPE!

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1

i love the new theme of the STBL show where they have special guests. You are a great player LordOfTheFly and i will come up with as many questions for you to tackle. i will try to make them specific so you can showcase your vast knowledge of nightwolf .

The show was good, but it reinforced my feeling that Nightwolf may be the most underrated and under-appreciated character in the game. And the fact that there hasn't been a post in this forum for 3 days seems like further evidence. Honestly, I don't know whether to be upset or pleased by that, since I enjoy playing a lesser-played character who is actually really good.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Ok guys if you don't watch the show you should tonight because NW is the character of the night. And I'm so excited I get to be the guest on the show! Silent asked me to get on and show how I use him and why. I'll be answering questions about the character and match ups. You can't miss it!

I can't wait so please make it HYPE!

http://www.justin.tv/s1lent1[/quote]A little bit late question.............What is the best combo after landing En lightning? What i go for is dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dásh 1 dash 122 showder charge. Is there something better? Thanks in advance[/url].

Roko1985

What is the best combo after landing En lightning? What i go for is dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 122 showder charge. Is ther something better? Thanks in advance!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
If your close enough do b2axe 1,1,122shoulder =33%

Check my NW competition guide and all my combos with and without meter are in there

Roko1985

If your close enough do b2axe 1,1,122shoulder =33%

Check my NW competition guide and all my combos with and without meter are in there
We are talking about when you land En lightning after the uppercut. I am checking your guide very often......i was just wondering if you have something new. Thanks for replaying. I will go look at it again.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
We are talking about when you land En lightning after the uppercut. I am checking your guide very often......i was just wondering if you have something new. Thanks for replaying. I will go look at it again.
After an uppercut you might on,y be close enough for what you said originally. You can dash in after an uppercut before eh lightning but it depends on how many hits you did before the uppercut. The more hits the less yu can dash.

Tolkeen

/wrists
2 questions:
1) Does EXHatchet have armor?
2) What size is Nightwolf's hitbox? Is he gonna get abused by jax's f4 shenanigans, and or Kung Lao's instant 3 tele shenanigans?

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
2 questions:
1) Does EXHatchet have armor?
2) What size is Nightwolf's hitbox? Is he gonna get abused by jax's f4 shenanigans, and or Kung Lao's instant 3 tele shenanigans?
1) no armor....but great invincibility on wakeup if opponent tries to pressure.
2) medium large. F41 cannot be ducked and punished, skarlet f212 string cannot be ducked, Lao instant 3 can be ducked and uppercutted easily though.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I noticed that doing anything after a whiffed or blocked shoulder makes NW switch stances automatically. Just cool.

NKZero

Noob
I am aware this is directed @ LOTF but hopefully I can help you as well. I'm sure you are aware that shoulder can be neutral crouched and on whiff is punishable or at the very least poked out of. EX shoulder can be hit out of before the second hit. If you are too predicable with them then that is why your opponent is not afraid to neutral crouch and either poke out or throw. The shoulder should be used sparingly either to make your opponent respect it (which then allows you to get free advances into throws, low pokes, F3 or even grabs and jump-ins) or to punish when it cannot be done with a normal. When you're opponent then least expects it, then you can start using it again. You can also take a risk and go for lightning/EX lightning (for a combo opportunity). Once they are afraid to remain grounded shoulder can be a lot more effective as well.

Hope this helps :)

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Prob sounds very noobish but here goes.

I like Nightwolf & id like to pick him for a bit of fun but find him pretty useless unless you can connect with the standing 111111 like all you good players do. I can only do about 2 or 3 then start whiffing.

You got any tips? & you got any decent block strings, cos I find that if your opponent does a standing block, im useless.

NKZero

Noob
Prob sounds very noobish but here goes.

I like Nightwolf & id like to pick him for a bit of fun but find him pretty useless unless you can connect with the standing 111111 like all you good players do. I can only do about 2 or 3 then start whiffing.

You got any tips? & you got any decent block strings, cos I find that if your opponent does a standing block, im useless.
yeah you really need to juggle those 1's in combos so all it takes is practice. Nightwolf's best strings are 1221 and F31. You can do 122-axe swing/F31-axe swing and you are only at -6 (only punishable by Reptile maybe) or just do 1221 or F312 to be extra safe. Nightwolf really isn't about high vs low mix-ups or whatever so you're right in that the opponent can just stand block (at least you have D3/D4 to try gain advantage). In any case I recommend you check out Fly's guide in these forums. Really good for explaining everything from the basics of each special/normal/poke to advanced strategies. That's all I can say...

Big D

Relevant In An Irrelevant Time
Deadly Torcher Its all about the big damage combos when concerning this character. With the limited amount of tools that NW has, you HAVE to be able to maximize damage at every chance you get. So practice the juggling and experiment with block strings.

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Cheers for the advice, been doin the 122 then mixing up between charge, arrow & hatchet just incase the 122 is blocked. Still struggling with the 1111111 tho.

ps. how cool would he be if the f3 was a low hit just like Jax has.

Sometimes i catch an opponent off guard with an axe lift after landing a couple of down pokes. It doesn't hurt to mix that in when you are in between strings.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
This is how I learned it. Try doing 1 dash 1 dash 1 once you find the rhythm you can speed it up. You don't need to do anymore than 4 so don't be hard on it.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
The combo string LOF provided is the most punishing. I mean even if you just land a 1 1 dash at the end its like 34%

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
So I know f312, 1221, and b22 are his best strings. Do his other strings like 114, 234, b111 have anything special about them? Are they strictly situational or what? Take b111 for example, there doesn't seem to be any reason to use this string at all.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Ok so as for block strings I like 1221 the best. If people try to dash in it sometimes hits towards the end as its range is deceptive. But on block it gives you pushback. You don't always want to be right up on someone. So after 1221 I'll either do shoulder, dash in for f3 pressure, lightning if they sit back, or sit back and axe if they approach.

The axe hits if they try to dash in and attack or jump, if they try to duck shoulder you can dash in f3 or lightning, sometimes shoulder keeps them blocking once they respect the other options.

As for other strings I like f312, 114, and b1111.

F312 keeps me close and let's me jump for crossover since its neutral on block or d3 axe.

114 sets up eh lightning very well on hit. It also sets you up for f3 at the perfect range. Plus 11 on hit gives you time to dash in for another string.

B1 is great because of its range. Use it for wiff punishes when spacing out your opponent. Plus it builds great meter due to its many hits on block and if they let go of block early you can link to axe for a combo.

As for making shoulder less duckable, be more patient and if they just sit there and crouch, dash in and out to make them uncomfortable, throw arrows or lightnings out randomly. They will eventually jump when they expect a lightning then AA with 1 or axe and start again.

He is a high low character also. His d3 is plus ten on crouch hit. It they are going to stand block you have d4 all day as well as shoulder all day. Don't forget to grab them. They have to duck anyways to avoid shoulder so when they do start lightning or block strings. Nw isn't all about the shoulder.

Breaker

~AKUMA~
Cheers, i'll try for 4 & leave it there, do you choke or charge after the 4?
After the 4th jab I finish with a 122 shoulder charge. L0rdoftheFLY got the most damaging combo string but the easiest combo string with a little less damage is, f31 axe/axe 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 1 dash 122 into shoulder charge and I think it's like 35% or something ad a jump punch to it and its like 38%