What's new

Nightwolf Bad Matchup Questions..

Paul Santoro

Pro Gamer / Commentator
Im working on a new nightwolf and the only way i see this man flaws would be against teleporting characters like Tom Brady using Raiden..IYO how should Nightwolf deal with characters like cyrax and raiden?

Einhander

Unknown
Im working on a new nightwolf and the only way i see this man flaws would be against teleporting characters like Tom Brady using Raiden..IYO how should Nightwolf deal with characters like cyrax and raiden?
If thats his only worry then he'll really have no "bad" matchups. All characters will have the same issues vs teleport characters even other teleport characters. Its however more possible he can be easily out zoned. His ranged attacks decent but slow. So at far range he can be zoned hard. Although proper shoulder usage should close that gap easily.

All around I think Nightwolf is a balanced character until we discover otherwise.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
If thats his only worry then he'll really have no "bad" matchups. All characters will have the same issues vs teleport characters even other teleport characters. Its however more possible he can be easily out zoned. His ranged attacks decent but slow. So at far range he can be zoned hard. Although proper shoulder usage should close that gap easily.

All around I think Nightwolf is a balanced character until we discover otherwise.
You are very very wrong my friend. Nightwolf's reflector completely stops zoning (Minus Ermac's and Smoke and Noob)

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I think his lightning alone makes him fantastic for zoning. Like the guide says, creates annoying 50/50s. I do agree w/the first post, it's quite annoying to be attempting to zone and here comes Raiden behind me lol

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Ok, starting to see some real problems vs Raiden. It seems his string is not only safe, but it's adv on block. I have no clue when to attack. Teleport is too powerful, so I'm always cautious of lightning/superman

Tips?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Playing Kano, I haven't had much trouble with Nightwolf. He can reflect knives, but not balls, just FYI for you Nightwolf players!

Oddly...Kratos' reflect/parry does reflect knives and it parries balls. Pretty dumb there.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Playing Kano, I haven't had much trouble with Nightwolf. He can reflect knives, but not balls, just FYI for you Nightwolf players!

Oddly...Kratos' reflect/parry does reflect knives and it parries balls. Pretty dumb there.
I don't think you've fought a Nightwolf like Nori's or mine yet, so don't get comfy in that match up. Especially since Nw's highest punish is 38-49% depending on where he is on screen.

"Ok, starting to see some real problems vs Raiden. It seems his string is not only safe, but it's adv on block. I have no clue when to attack. Teleport is too powerful, so I'm always cautious of lightning/superman

Tips? "

What string? 334 teleport? I can usually hit him out of the teleport with D+3 or F+3 if I see the teleport coming. I haven't played a good one yet to know how to actually deal with it, but I don't think it's that bad yet.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
DaiHuu said:
What string? 334 teleport? I can usually hit him out of the teleport with D+3 or F+3 if I see the teleport coming. I haven't played a good one yet to know how to actually deal with it, but I don't think it's that bad yet.
Perhaps he means b+3,1,2, which is not a "tight" string. Nightwolf's X-Ray has the ability to interrupt the "1" and the "2". d+3 also works when you're crouching, but it really isn't worth the effort.

I agree with DaiHuu. Use d+3 against teleports. d+3 does 1% of damage but is very advantageous on block and hit. d+3, d+1 doesn't combo, but it's a tight string up close. You can try throwing Raiden. Occasionally, you can also jump forward and do a deep jump kick. Deep jump kicks give free throw attempts if your opponent blocks them standing. Should a deep jump kick hit, you get to perform a combo. Raiden's AA game isn't very good.

Teleport aside, the match up is basic otherwise. I feel Nightwolf can keep Raiden at bay fairly easily. He can't threaten Nightwolf at any distance but up close because his fireball is worthless in this match up. On the other hand, Nightwolf can threaten him at much larger distances. Make him afraid to approach you by using Shoulder Rams. Be sure to dash forward and just block to see how your opponent reacts to Shoulder Rams. Lightning can be used as well, but use it wisely or you'll die. It can actually catch Raiden before he has a chance to teleport behind you. Keep mashing QCB while doing an occasional d+3 and pay attention to how your opponent reacts full screen away. Don't do Arrows. Good Raiden players will simply teleport behind you on reaction.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I got 3rd today in a tournament, and when I lost, I lost BADLY. I got all the way to winners finals, got rocked hard by a Reptile and then I played Fubarduck who got 4th at Nationals (plays Raiden). I won't say this matchup is REALLY bad, but against a good Raiden, you certainly have to earn every victory. I won't both talking about the matches I won, cause obviously I won lol but I will post the vids when they are up where I lost a best of 5 quickly and badly so I get some some outside critique. My zoning today was great IMO but I dropped lots of combos:(

This is me vs Fubarduck in casuals pre tourney

http://www.justin.tv/alamogaming/b/286373670

I have a question about a matchup. How do you approach a fight when facing Kitana? Defensively or offensively? I found myself facing a highly skilled Kitana player that I lost a boatload of matches to. I only won 3 matches, and in all 3 I won because I luckily had a corner advantage, but getting her there was mission impossible. I had a hard time rushing down Kitana. The big shoulder was rendered useless with Kitana's low knife pokes. Everytime I tried rushing her down she would start tossing fans then proceed to use her air move and fly over to my other side. From up close I had a hard time pressuring her mid screen, her strings were all over the place and too fast to punish. I also couldn't punish her air move when she landed, I tried with hatchet and uppercuting but they kept whiffing leaving me open to some major punishment. The only move I managed to punish effectivle was her fan toss :facepalm: Any tips on how to approach or fight Kitana? Thanks in advance.

mhtdtr

Ancestors, give me strength!
I have a question about a matchup. How do you approach a fight when facing Kitana? Defensively or offensively? I found myself facing a highly skilled Kitana player that I lost a boatload of matches to. I only won 3 matches, and in all 3 I won because I luckily had a corner advantage, but getting her there was mission impossible. I had a hard time rushing down Kitana. The big shoulder was rendered useless with Kitana's low knife pokes. Everytime I tried rushing her down she would start tossing fans then proceed to use her air move and fly over to my other side. From up close I had a hard time pressuring her mid screen, her strings were all over the place and too fast to punish. I also couldn't punish her air move when she landed, I tried with hatchet and uppercuting but they kept whiffing leaving me open to some major punishment. The only move I managed to punish effectivle was her fan toss :facepalm: Any tips on how to approach or fight Kitana? Thanks in advance.
i think that against kitana is better to play defense. kitana cant do anything from a long range cause NW can deflect his fans and she needs to come to deal somo damage. i think if you can do this kitana is easily punished when she tries to aprouch you either jumping, dashing or with her specials. the x-ray is deflectable also so let her come to you and use the tools of NW to punish her mistakes and to rushdown her when she is close

i think that against kitana is better to play defense. kitana cant do anything from a long range cause NW can deflect his fans and she needs to come to deal somo damage. i think if you can do this kitana is easily punished when she tries to aprouch you either jumping, dashing or with her specials. the x-ray is deflectable also so let her come to you and use the tools of NW to punish her mistakes and to rushdown her when she is close
I'm going to try to play against her more defensively. WOW! I never knew her xray fan toss was delfectable. Thanks alot for the advice amigo, much appreciated.