What's new

NEW TO MKXL! Help needed!

Reece

Noob
I'd like help, any tips and tricks are welcome. I'd like to know what the top tier characters are and the most fun ones to play as, I know all the basics and have played other fighting games. I'm mostly looking for a main top tier character and a secondary character to use for fun. In advance I'd like to say, thank you.

Last edited:

Reece

Noob
I appreciate that but still, I'd rather know what characters are top tier. I'm used to street fighter and DOA and I'm relatively good. I have the time to learn the character I'd choose from the list. Even if you think I'm not going to be good enough I have experience MK9 I was a great Sub-Zero player. Is he a good character? Even if it isn't a top tier what are FUN characters.

Noob
I appreciate that but still, I'd rather know what characters are top tier. I'm used to street fighter and DOA and I'm relatively good. I have the time to learn the character I'd choose from the list. Even if you think I'm not going to be good enough I have experience MK9 I was a great Sub-Zero player. Is he a good character? Even if it isn't a top tier what are FUN characters.
Ay, did you play Hayabusa in DOA?

I'd do sub zero + smoke + sektor

Top Tier and Fun to play as.

Reece

Noob
Thanks! I'll try that, cyber or regular subzero? Whigh variant if n9t cyber sub. Also, I played Ayane. Whilst waiting for responses I've been messing with Cassie Cage (Hollywood and Brawler seem good).

Last edited:

Noob
Thanks! I'll try that, cyber or regular subzero? Whigh variant if n9t cyber sub. Also, I played Ayane. Whilst waiting for responses I've been messing with Cassie Cage (Hollywood and Brawler seem good).
Regular Sub, Cyber sub is pretty bad. He is only fun to play with when you don't want to play serious.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I'd like help, any tips and tricks are welcome. I'd like to know what the top tier characters are and the most fun ones to play as, I know all the basics and have played other fighting games. I'm mostly looking for a main top tier character and a secondary character to use for fun. In advance I'd like to say, thank you.
While characters are as fun as you make them and unless you're going full competitive you're not obligated to play top tiers, here's some frame of reference:

- Characters that are pretty good: Shinnok, Sub-Zero, Mileena, Sonya Blade (Demolition mostly), Jason, Kitana, Sektor, Ermac, Kung Lao. To be honest 90% of variations in this game fall into the category of 'good' and even the remaining 10% aren't that bad.

- Characters that are quite fun to play (in my opinion): Cyber Sub-Zero, Goro, Raiden, Quan Chi. Again though, characters are only as fun as you make them. I find most characters in this game to be pretty fun to play.

If you just go with your gut and pick a character that you like the design of, most of the time you'll be just fine. Happy fighting!

Last edited:

Cashual

PSN: Cansuela
Cmon now, cyber sub isn't terrible, he's definitely better than cyrax, balanced kenshi, lackey, and several more variations.

At least csz game plan is straightforward on a basic level and effective in the current meta.

He can machine gun a capture move with next to 0 recovery and shuts down almost all other zoners as he wins every trade (mournful, pyro, and maybe pretty lady do ok I would guess not sure), not to mention the ex ice blast that catches jumps and eats projectiles, a half screen near true 50/50, some of the best mobility in the game, etc.

Yeah damage sucks, weird combos, nerfed corner game, but he ain't as bad as this site makes him out to be.

Op, play grand master sub, try mileena, and maybe jason depending on what play style you like. or maybe kitana.

Reece

Noob
Thank you all for the responses. Dutch guy thanks for that. I appreciate it and you're right 've been messing around for a few hours now and I'd say characters I click with are Cassie cage (brawler), sub-zero (grandmaster). Venomous D'vorah feels good and has some dangerous unlockable damage with the poison. I'm definitely gonna work on Sub-Zero as an old favourite. Cassie cage as fun and probably take D'Vorah as my main.

RUN-CANCELS: They're a pain in the ass, tips?

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
Thank you all for the responses. Dutch guy thanks for that. I appreciate it and you're right 've been messing around for a few hours now and I'd say characters I click with are Cassie cage (brawler), sub-zero (grandmaster). Venomous D'vorah feels good and has some dangerous unlockable damage with the poison. I'm definitely gonna work on Sub-Zero as an old favourite. Cassie cage as fun and probably take D'Vorah as my main.

RUN-CANCELS: They're a pain in the ass, tips?
practice. Thumbs hate you for a while when you're getting used to run cancels

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
If your first question when starting a fighting game is who the top tiers are, you'll probably not enjoy the game, especially a game as frustrating as mkx can be sometimes.

Test each character, see which one appeals more to you in terms of design and/or playstyle, then work on him/her.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
If your first question when starting a fighting game is who the top tiers are, you'll probably not enjoy the game, especially a game as frustrating as mkx can be sometimes.
Or you could let him enjoy the game on his own terms, there are plenty of people who enjoy playing top tiers, or at least like to have one as a backup character.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Or you could let him enjoy the game on his own terms, there are plenty of people who enjoy playing top tiers, or at least like to have one as a backup character.
Just my thoughts, he's free to take his own path of course.
But I know many "top tier whores" and in the end most confess they have not enjoyed the game jumping from top tier to top tier.

Reece

Noob

Test each character, see which one appeals more to you in terms of design and/or playstyle, then work on him/her.
Thank up you. I agree with you on the not enjoying it, it's probably a better question if I ask what are the most favourites so I can learn counters to them etc. I've stuck with Cassie I'm really enjoying her. Fast, quick rush in with a decent projectile.

Reece

Noob
Just my thoughts, he's free to take his own path of course.
But I know many "top tier whores" and in the end most confess they have not enjoyed the game jumping from top tier to top tier.
Why use the best stuff and get bored because its repetitive? I'll have my main and then whatever random select bestows upon me