What's new

New to Mk9

Hi, i'm new to mk9 and i was wondering,what are some good characters for me to get used to the game.And get good with that wont be to complicated right out of the gate????

Your late to the party my dude lol but pick up a couple of the following.. kabal, sonya, reptile, kenshi, johnny cage, kung Lao, sektor, cyrax, all those characters are really good. Have fun with mk! :)

Rokinlobster

Nightwolf of the galaxy
Liu kang. His combos are basic, but teach timing, and movement during.a combo. His strings and dragon stance will teach you the importance of mix ups, and where moves hit. His parry will teach you to react to slower stuff, his fireballs will teach you to mix up zoning.

ty guys i was gonna go with raiden but none of his tele port in his combos work right for me lol so ima give liu kang a try im pretty good with sub zero but he feels so slow

Lazoruz

Closer to the coffin, but still kicking..!
yea i pick up games when prices go down n such since im on a budget so lol but ty
If you wold have waited till Injustice comes out the prices will only be about $14.oo according to Game Stop. ;)
Also, as motioned above, You might as well play Tier whore characters until Injustice comes out, then it's likely you wont see a lot of competitive players on-line anymore.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Well I would say try Mileena, but she may be a lil to wild for you right now (then again she was my first choice and just can't leave her alone since release date) Liu Kang and Scorpion I would say are perfect for beginners and they will help teach the basic mechanics of the game easily. Also check out the separate char. forums on here there is a plethora on any and all char. in the game to help guide you from the realm of scrub and into the world kick assery.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
Go Liu Kang, learn fundamentals then try someone else. Are you in PSN or XBL, you can ask someone here to coach you.

And no, you're not "late to the party", MK still has a lot going for it.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
216...hmmm...Cleveland player???

Probably the best character to get you used to the game would be Liu Kang. He'll teach you pretty much everything you need to know about MK9, such as the spacing, footsies, advancing, and how to deal with pressure.

You just have to wait a little bit after Raiden's teleport. Rather than going with the f2 (forward Y on 360, forward triangle on PS3), I would just go with a 1 (X/Square) a vicinity blast or his special grab.

I've heard Liu Kang is a good character to teach you a lot of the basics in the game properly. Welcome, and don't feel bad about being late. I was late too :)

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Welcome! Yea, Liu Kang is your best bet, I swear he was built for beginners, he can get people salty too. ;)

like honostly im pretty beast with sub but online i can't get his combos going i keep dropping em offline i can nail em lol

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Hi, i'm new to mk9 and i was wondering,what are some good characters for me to get used to the game.And get good with that wont be to complicated right out of the gate????
What type of style do you prefer in fighting games? I would probably try to pick some characters that fit your style the best and see which one feels the best.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Easiest to pick up and improve fast with: Kung Lao, Kenshi
Godmode at the cost of a lot of work: Kabal, Cyrax
Alternatives that take work: Sonya, Jax

Kung Lao is a mobility rushdown character that pressures the opponent with a flexible use of superior tools. This means that you can literally just throw out most of his stuff and beat out the opponent unless they are using armor or know how to shut each tool down. I consider him third from the top on this game, but he shares that position with Cyrax.

Kenshi is a zoner, capable of keeping opponents out and dealing damage across the screen while remaining unpunishable by most other characters. His game consists of baiting, punishing and distant pressure. He's the second most broken character in the game by far, his worst matchup being Kabal and Lao, and literally destroying 30 characters with them having next to no chance of getting in on him let alone dealing considerable damage.

Kabal is the ultimate godmode. You need to understand how he works and every information you can get but this character is broken beyond repair, making even the others suffer by simply there being nothing this character cannot do. He can zone just about anybody with instant air projectile barrage and low saw to stop their advance, and his dash cancel makes him top notch in rushdown. All at the cost of having to put in hours of practice to make your execution of him seamless.

Cyrax is the combo king. It's easy to fight Cyrax because if he catches you in the net, you can just put down your controller and go grab a drink. 100% combo anyone? He does take work to learn and even more to master, but he's one of those characters that went wrong with MK9.

Sonya is a spacing and rushdown character, requiring excellent fundamentals and flawless timing as well as understanding your opponent's options. Her instant divekick destroys pokes and her armored cartwheel leads to high damage, that paired with her flexible mixups and overheads, she's capable of bringing any of the boys to their knees. *whip noise*

Jax excels in the corner but his amazing normals and armored overhead aren't enough, so he has fast projectiles and the unblockable ground pound which leads to high damage and keeps the opponent guessing as well as needing to constantly be on the move, lest they get caught in a GP>1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,DashPunch for about the third of their lives. This is stupidly effective in the corner where he can do 100% damage if he has bars to enhance his ground pound.

Just pick Kabal and learn his gimmicks so you don't even have to pay attention to what's happening. You can learn how to be effective with kenshi in about five minutes of practice, too. I wouldn't pick Liu Kang tbh. It will make you think you can just keep dialing combos with every character.

You could also always just pick Cyrax and learn one combo, then just spend your entire match trying toland one hit. If your opponent makes a single mistake, congrats, you win.

That's how I'd go about it now, since yo're going to be pretty unfamiliar with what hits high and what hits low until you learn what every character does.

Godmode at the cot of alot of work? haha. Cyrax is F'ing easy.