What's new

New to MK9. Play lots of Injustice. Who to main?

AlphaGypsy

I can't block.
In Injustice my main is either GL or, recently, Doomsday. With GL I like being able to zone (if completely necessary) and get in easily. Usually I play beat down, like I do with Doomsday. Lots of combos for me. Don't wanna zone. So who would a good character be for me?

AlphaGypsy

I can't block.
I've seen plenty of hate on Kabal though. And I'm not so sure about his play style. A lot of jumping backwards and shooting balls and throwing things from his legs. LEL. I guess I will try him out then. Any other suggestions?

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
I've seen plenty of hate on Kabal though. And I'm not so sure about his play style. A lot of jumping backwards and shooting balls and throwing things from his legs. LEL. I guess I will try him out then. Any other suggestions?
Kabal can do anything. AAAAANYTHING...

But if you wanna "beat down", Johnny Cage would be a good choice. He has OK zoning too, but that's not what he's about.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
Kabal's pressure is godlike dude!!!

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
Liu Kang or Johnny Cage.

Liu Kang is a jack of all trades, yet a king of none. Probably your best bet, since he can zone, counter-zone and keep a great offense. However, Cage is broken once he gets in. Frame-traps all day son. Both are very easy to pick up.

Minh Giang

Liu Kang or Johnny Cage.

Liu Kang is a jack of all trades, yet a king of none. Probably your best bet, since he can zone, counter-zone and keep a great offense. However, Cage is broken once he gets in. Frame-traps all day son. Both are very easy to pick up.
agree with this, Cage is very easy, just reset and frame trap, Liu Kang is like Ryu with better pressure. And i think Kung Lao is not really hard to use too.

AlphaGypsy

I can't block.
You should try everyone you have an interest in too, not just the suggestions we all gave :).
Well I haven't ever played any MK before so I'm not sure who I'm really interested in. Injustice was my first fighting game. So I'll try all the suggestions. Wait, scratch what I first said. I have had a little interest in Cyrax, watching DJT win at EVO. But I tried playing some and he seems difficult. At least for my first character.

Spinky

Neutral Skipper
Well I haven't ever played any MK before so I'm not sure who I'm really interested in. Injustice was my first fighting game. So I'll try all the suggestions. Wait, scratch what I first said. I have had a little interest in Cyrax, watching DJT win at EVO. But I tried playing some and he seems difficult. At least for my first character.
If you don't want a difficult character then you should stay far away from Kabal and try Cage or Liu Kang.

sgZick

Noob
Or just do it like with any other fighting game, beat the ladder with every charachter (even on easy with one round if time is of the essence) to get an idea which one might work. Normally a couple of them just click and you get some stuff done intuitively. Those closer candidates you can take to the lab and have them kick your ass as hard AI to show what is doable.

I normally tend to play different kind of charachters in different fighting games, since I like their playstyle in the given game mechanics. Approaching char selection from a "i would like to play someone that plays like a guy in this other game I played" never worked for me. (Xiaoya in Tekken Tag Tournament, Siegfried in Soul Calibur 2, Mavado in MK Deadly Alliance, Honda in SF4, Raiden/Kitana in MK9 now Green Lantern in Injustice.)

As a GL player, he is a jack of all trades, good at almost everything (except wake-up and mobility), but master of none. If you like the lift and reset stuff, maybe Ermac would be be worth a try. As others mentioned, Cage is a good alrounder that is can handle most of the cast decently from all positions.

Minh Giang

What's your main in Injustice???

Minh Giang

Lantern/Doomsday. And no I don't Supernova spam with DD, I do combos.
Ermac and Jax would be good for you. Ermac is GL of MK.
It's hard to choose a character that is played like DD in MK lol, but i think Jax's groundpound and dashpunch reminds me of DD :p.

Minh Giang

I still think Liu Kang is the best choice for a new player like you, the guy is very easy and solid, shit, i love his low fireball so much, you can duck right after it so you can beat iafb, also EX version give you huge advantage on hit, if opponents are close and get hit by it, you can use f3 (overhead), or b321 (low combo starter), or 50/50 mixup with 213/21 x low ex fireball -> repeat it.

In Injustice my main is either GL or, recently, Doomsday. With GL I like being able to zone (if completely necessary) and get in easily. Usually I play beat down, like I do with Doomsday. Lots of combos for me. Don't wanna zone. So who would a good character be for me?
Try Sonya and Skarlet. If you like easy wins then pick cage, raiden, kung lao or reptile.

AlphaGypsy

I can't block.
I still think Liu Kang is the best choice for a new player like you, the guy is very easy and solid, shit, i love his low fireball so much, you can duck right after it so you can beat iafb, also EX version give you huge advantage on hit, if opponents are close and get hit by it, you can use f3 (overhead), or b321 (low combo starter), or 50/50 mixup with 213/21 x low ex fireball -> repeat it.
I don't wanna be the scrub who plays the easy characters though. I don't wanna be the Batman of MK9. Lol. I realize that I can play the story and get use to the mechanics and then choose. I've actually gotten pretty good at Injustice so I have faith that I don't have to play the easy characters. I know they're not the same, but they're similar enough yo have some skill transfer over.