What's new

New to MK9 and TYM

Hey everyone.. just joined the forums today to try and get some advice. I am new to MK9..

I am looking for some input on who you would suggest me maining.. characters I am interested in, in no special order are : ermac, cage, jax, kitanna, sektor, rain and scorpion. I first was interested in ermac but then was quickly told that he was complete shit and very difficult to play. Can you guys go over what each character is / does and your thoughts on maining them with no MK experience?

Xbox Live : Vertikai
PSN : expioit-

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Hey everyone.. just joined the forums today to try and get some advice. I am new to MK9..

I am looking for some input on who you would suggest me maining.. characters I am interested in, in no special order are : ermac, cage, jax, kitanna, sektor, rain and scorpion. I first was interested in ermac but then was quickly told that he was complete shit and very difficult to play. Can you guys go over what each character is / does and your thoughts on maining them with no MK experience?

Thanks for Joining, and welcome!

First thing first, 1=x, 2=y, 3=a, 4=b on the Xbox controller and same for PS3 just not letters. f=fwd, b=back, d= down, u=up.

Ermac: Who ever told you he is complete shit was wrong. Sure, he isnt top 10, but he's good. He has mid tier rush down and high tier zoning. This is a well rounded fighter and possibly not fully explored at the moment.

Cage: All Cage is, is f3 mashing, and nut punch. I have heard he is fun to use, but far from fun to fight. There is somewhat of a "Cage bandwagon" going on right now. He is all rushdown. Top 10.

Jax: Jax is all around a great fighter. Good rush down, good mix-up, good zoning, GREAT corner game. This fighter does quite a bit of dmg, but not out of combos. Out of what just happens to hit you, and the kind of dmg he gets in the corner. Top 5. Won the last 2 major MK9 tourny's.

Kitana: A loved fighter in this community. Even by me, and I hate fighting the bitch. She has great zoning do to her air fans, and good mix-up/pressure. And when she does dmg, its gunna hurt. She will get 30% off of 1 air fan and no bars. Almost 40% with 1 bar. And for no bars, almost 50% off of a full combo. Top 10 and potential top 5.

Sektor: Very versatile. He can zone, mix-up and rushdown all fairly well. High dmg output, fast (as hell) normals. Best lethal tele in the game. Potential top 10.

Rain: This communtity has mixed feeling about Rain at the moment. We can't make up our mind on wether he is really good or really mediocore. I personally feel like he is a great fighter. At some point he maybe even be able to reach top 10, who knows. He builds meter super fast and can take yours away everytime he touch's you. One big mix-up game with a lot of dmg and at the same time, happily draining all of your meter. Top 15.

Scorpion: Probably the worst out of all the fighters you listed. But don't let that scare you, this fighter has what is called a "vortex" which pretty much means he can put you in a situation where, if you guess wrong, you get put in the same situation again, but with 30% less health. And this goes on until you guess right, and even then, he usually still has adv. He goes even with the majority of the cast as well. IMO he is number 15 out of the cast, give or take a few.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Also, if youplay Xbox, I'd be glad to spar with you sometime. But be warned, this site has a lack of noobs at this game so if you feel like your not to great at it, you probably wont get far against most of us. But we still love to help you get to the proper level.

My GT is RampaginDragon

Good luck!

Any character in this game can win if played right with good performance, you should choose your favorite character and play with him/her.

Well, I would like to point out Ermac is not complete shit nor is he difficult to play. He is a solid character in many aspects, though he lacks any armored EN moves. He ,as verstande said, is possible to win with, as is any character. Just pick your favorite and learn them. That'll make the game far more enjoyable.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
i would like to add in here that Jax is an amazing character to play and watch. Unfortunately he takes strong fundamentals to play properly and is very lax in the hands of someone who doesnt possess that.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Rain is very good, but very hard to play :|

He will teach you how to be good though, if you like a trial by fire style of learning. He requires spacing, cancels, footsies, and whiff punishing. Reading, mix ups, and hard kombos too.

He is top 12 easily.

Of your list, I'd recommend learning Johnny Cage unless you really want to learn your favorite and not just an amzing character that's not too hard to pick up.

Thanks for all of the responses so far guys! Great to get some quick feedback :) RD.. thanks for the detailed and very informative post. I will add you tomorrow. My gamer tag is Vertikai so you know who it is that's adding you, and my PSN account im currently racking up the losses on is expioit-

Please feel free to add me if you are up for showing me a bit. I think I am going to take on learning ermac and jax first. Since I am not too sure if I like jax i may end up going with someone else.. not sure.

Reasons I really don't want to play JC is because I have been told that he is very over played and I'm more of someone who likes to play something that isn't as often seen.

Any suggestions, as far as who to stay away from? I know sheeva is one of them but anyone else? And why? thanks in advance :)

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Thanks for all of the responses so far guys! Great to get some quick feedback :) RD.. thanks for the detailed and very informative post. I will add you tomorrow. My gamer tag is Vertikai so you know who it is that's adding you, and my PSN account im currently racking up the losses on is expioit-

Please feel free to add me if you are up for showing me a bit. I think I am going to take on learning ermac and jax first. Since I am not too sure if I like jax i may end up going with someone else.. not sure.

Reasons I really don't want to play JC is because I have been told that he is very over played and I'm more of someone who likes to play something that isn't as often seen.

Any suggestions, as far as who to stay away from? I know sheeva is one of them but anyone else? And why? thanks in advance :)
Good choices. Fighters to stay away from just because they are "bad" would prob be Kano, Sheeva anddddd... Ya, thats about it. Though other fighters, such as Jade, CSZ, Baraka, Scorp, and some other superbly mid-tier fighters are still viable, just don't expect to beat the top 10 on a regualr bases.

For some reason, Liu is really annoying to me. I have really no interest in him. I wouldn't mind picking up sonya or something down the road when looking for a rush down type character

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
For some reason, Liu is really annoying to me. I have really no interest in him. I wouldn't mind picking up sonya or something down the road when looking for a rush down type character
Sonya is VERY good. But requires high execution, great reactions and great fundamentals to really be good with her.

Sonya is VERY good. But requires high execution, great reactions and great fundamentals to really be good with her.
So if I'm not huge on Liu and JC.. and Sonya is pretty hard to play.. who would you suggest next for a rush down? Hopefully though at that point I'll be good enough with fundamentals that I'll maybe be able to pick up one of them without too much difficulty.

A-Train

Noob
Welcome! Out of the ones you mentioned above, Rain is my favorite, and he's who I've been working with for the past few months. Not the easiest character to use effectively, but very fun to play as, in my opinion, once you learn what he has to offer (high damage output and great armor, for example).

Like someone else mentioned above, though, don't restrict yourself on which characters you'll try. Give 'em all a shot and see who suits your playstyle. Good luck!

So if I'm not huge on Liu and JC.. and Sonya is pretty hard to play.. who would you suggest next for a rush down? Hopefully though at that point I'll be good enough with fundamentals that I'll maybe be able to pick up one of them without too much difficulty.
Having great fundamentals improves your game with any characters, same for reactions. The execution is harder for some than others like Kabal/Skarlet have hard execution ,while say Ermac is far easier to execute a jumpkick to teleport to push.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Your options for purly rushdown orientaded fighters are JC, Liu, Sonya, Kung Lao, Rain. That is for fighters that exell at rush down, and not so much at anything else. You could also try CSZ, Sektor, Reptile, Shang or Jax. Those are fighters that are above avg at rushdown, but have a little extra on the side, more so then the first few fighters I listed. For instence Sonya ( my main ) is a rushdown monster, dealing high damage along with superb mix-up and pressure. CSZ, I just like him and he is also a rishdown fighter. Just not nearly as good as Sonya. My Sektor is a mix of rushdown and zoning. I try to rushdown as much as possible, but I cant deny his great zoning, though his zoning is not similar to most forms of zoning. And Shang is great at zoning and rushdown, but lacks a wake up game or a way to effectivly get out of pressure. Once cornered, Shang is dead. I chose Sonya and CSZ because they are my favorites in the actually game. I like them for more than just their playstyle, I like their charecter. I actualy don't like Shang that much in the story, nor Sektor, but I like to play as them.

Do you have fighters that you like on a general bases? And what would you say your playstyle is? Like specificly, not just rushdown or zoning, maybe I can give you a specific fighter or two that can match the playstyle well.

I like Kitana because her fans are badass and her character in the story is pretty awesome, I hate JC because of his character in the story. Ermac I like because he seems like he can just lay down a big "fuck you" by taking away control of your character. Idk I guess I never really thought about picking a main because of their "character" rather than their appeal and types of moves. Rain to me is mostly appealing because of how his abilities look and videos of combos I have seen with him look pretty awesome. He seems like he has a bit more versatility than someone like smoke.. I could be wrong but that is just what streams and youtube videos have shown me.

*edit* I guess after re-reading my previous posts.. I have kinda came off like I have completely turned away from anyone like JC or Liu. And that isn't the case at all. While I would like to eventually become well rounded and know how to at least "hold my own" with a variety of characters, right now I think it is best for me to learn just one or two characters and focus more on fundamentals and get an overall concept of my character and their counters and what they can and can't do against opponent "X".

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
I like Kitana because her fans are badass and her character in the story is pretty awesome, I hate JC because of his character in the story. Ermac I like because he seems like he can just lay down a big "fuck you" by taking away control of your character. Idk I guess I never really thought about picking a main because of their "character" rather than their appeal and types of moves. Rain to me is mostly appealing because of how his abilities look and videos of combos I have seen with him look pretty awesome. He seems like he has a bit more versatility than someone like smoke.. I could be wrong but that is just what streams and youtube videos have shown me.

*edit* I guess after re-reading my previous posts.. I have kinda came off like I have completely turned away from anyone like JC or Liu. And that isn't the case at all. While I would like to eventually become well rounded and know how to at least "hold my own" with a variety of characters, right now I think it is best for me to learn just one or two characters and focus more on fundamentals and get an overall concept of my character and their counters and what they can and can't do against opponent "X".
Ya you might not want to settle for a main just at the begining. Give it some time andgrow. I started with Sub zero. He's a good fighter to start off with, but you wont level up you rundamentals very well with him. I hear Jax is a good starter and helps you level quick.

I'm online right now on xbox.. GT is Vertikai if anyone maybe wants to spar or show me some things.. I've been in training with jax..idk if its the 360 controller or what but I have a hard time getting specials to work.. Even ground slams