What's new

New Series: Jump In with Phase 3! Learn more about your favorite Injustice characters.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Hey guys, I just wanted to share something with you that I've been working quite hard on. This is a series designed for Injustice players who end up liking a character and wanting to learn more about them in the world of comics. I try to show some good places to jump into their books (New 52 is a great start for most) and present it in an entertaining motion comic package.

Anything that moves or shows depth was all meticulously animated by me -- all I had were flat comic pages to work with so I hope you guys dig the effects I put in. Let me know what you think!

Episode 1 - Wonder Woman

Episode 2 - Justice League and Shazam Double Feature

As I always say, whether you've read it before or checked it out for the first time as a result of these videos, I'd really like to know what you think of these books.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Phase 3 Wonder Woman is easily one of the best DC comic books being put out right now and Playpal will tell you it is the best with certainty lol. Justice League has had it's ups and downs, but right now is getting interesting. The Shazam double feature in JL has been probably my favorite story on the DC side thus far, and is the #1 reason I keep picking up the book. It is so good, and is going to be a major part of the Trinity War series coming in the next few months.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Wow I said all that about JL to watch the video and find out you pretty much said the exact same thing. LOLOLOLOL

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Will you share some of your "likes" with me? I think you have some to spare.
I liked your post. That's the best I can do. :\

Really well done videos.
Thanks, I really appreciate it. MK fans will love a specific segment of the next vid; I manage to involve MK X-Rays. It's pretty nifty.

Phase 3 Wonder Woman is easily one of the best DC comic books being put out right now and Playpal will tell you it is the best with certainty lol. Justice League has had it's ups and downs, but right now is getting interesting. The Shazam double feature in JL has been probably my favorite story on the DC side thus far, and is the #1 reason I keep picking up the book. It is so good, and is going to be a major part of the Trinity War series coming in the next few months.
Yeah, to me, it's absolutely crazy that Shazam wasn't given his own solo book based on the quality of the series so far. I'm consistently impressed with every single issue and think it's without question one of DC's finest stories post New 52.

There were a couple issues of Justice League where I thought "honestly, this book should be tacked onto the end of Shazam instead of the other way around..."

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I liked your post. That's the best I can do. :\

Thanks, I really appreciate it. MK fans will love a specific segment of the next vid; I manage to involve MK X-Rays. It's pretty nifty.

Yeah, to me, it's absolutely crazy that Shazam wasn't given his own solo book based on the quality of the series so far. I'm consistently impressed with every single issue and think it's without question one of DC's finest stories post New 52.

There were a couple issues of Justice League where I thought "honestly, this book should be tacked onto the end of Shazam instead of the other way around..."
Lol Shazam should be getting his own series after JL #21 if I'm not mistaken, and I think JL#21 is going to be a full on Shazam special anyway where they finish the fight between him and Black Adam. I'm really excited for it! Hopefully Johns and Frank stay with it as well, that would be great. Yeah that story with Cheetah before Throne of Atlantis where I was just like...C'MAAAANNNN!!! Great videos though man, very informative for those who are trying to get into comics. :)

Obviously. Honestly, I can't count the number of times I've called Wonder Woman the best DC book currently.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Obviously. Honestly, I can't count the number of times I've called Wonder Woman the best DC book currently.
Yeah, Azzarello's work on the series is outstanding. His changes to the traditional canon are all welcome in my opinion, and only serve to make the conflicts much more personal/interesting.

Yeah, Azzarello's work on the series is outstanding. His changes to the traditional canon are all welcome in my opinion, and only serve to make the conflicts much more personal/interesting.
That Cliff Chiang art is no joke either. Second only to Francis Manapul's Flash imo. Too bad Manapul isn't a very good writer.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
That Cliff Chiang art is no joke either. Second only to Francis Manapul's Flash imo. Too bad Manapul isn't a very good writer.
I've thought Flash is one of the better books tbh. The Grodd story was extended a little too much, but for the most part I've really enjoyed the story.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
A couple of my personal favorite artists in the New 52 are Gary Frank (the way he captures every nuance of emotion in facial expressions is just remarkably impressive) and JH Williams III. His stellar work and imaginative paneling really raise the bar for artists everywhere. I might just be talking more about that in an upcoming episode of Jump In haha...

JH3 is another stellar artist but his batwoman is so damn boring. If your name is Batwoman, you have a lot to live up to since you're not robin or batgirl or batboy. Unfortunately, his book makes me think Batwoman is simply a milking of the Bat cow.

I've heard good things about Greg Rucka's Batwoman during Batman r.i.p. though.

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
JH3 is another stellar artist but his batwoman is so damn boring. If your name is Batwoman, you have a lot to live up to since you're not robin or batgirl or batboy. Unfortunately, his book makes me think Batwoman is simply a milking of the Bat cow.
Perhaps Episode 3 might sway your opinion a little. #spoilers

I actually think Kate is a very well handled character, but I don't want to say too much because you'll hear it all soon haha.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Unfortunately, his book makes me think Batwoman is simply a milking of the Bat cow.
Actually, Bat Cow is it's own thing:

Nah but seriously Batwoman has so little to do with Batman, and that's what makes it great. She doesn't interact all that much with the Bat-family, she has far too much of her own stuff going on to deal with theirs. For instance in all the big Bat-book crossovers like Death of The Family & Night/Court of Owls she doesn't really feature. At all.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Actually, Bat Cow is it's own thing:

Nah but seriously Batwoman has so little to do with Batman, and that's what makes it great. She doesn't interact all that much with the Bat-family, she has far too much of her own stuff going on to deal with theirs. For instance in all the big Bat-book crossovers like Death of The Family & Night/Court of Owls she doesn't really feature. At all.
Too bad it's still so awful. ;__;

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Whaaaaa...? I'm curious, why don't you like it? I like the layout and the art, story is pretty good too, loved the story arc with Wonder Woman in as well.
The art is awesome I agree. I honestly think you just have to be a fan of Batwoman to enjoy it. They were continuing the story they already had and I found it boring and just way too wordy at times. I could understand why people like it I guess but I couldn't stand it.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I'm very much familiar with bat cow.

Batwoman just isn't a very compelling character. Or maybe it's just the writer. Either way, I didn't have much fun reading her book. It certainly didn't help either when I had such high expectations for it. I mean, for a book to be called Batwoman, the female equivalent of Batman, you do expect her to be similar to Batman. A couple of parallels between the two characters. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many. The book seems to focus a lot on personal drama. Mom's dead, hates dad, pisses off side-kick, feels guilty, side-kick gets her ass whupped, something about a girlfriend, yada yada. The plot conflict and villains weren't very interesting either (nor did the book seem to focus very heavily on it/them). I had doubts initially about a character named Batwoman, but I thought maybe I should give it the benefit of the doubt. I mean, how can you hate anything Batman-related (aside from Red Hood)? I also thought that a story about a lesbian would be interesting. A few issues in though, I just didn't see why I should continue to read it. Even the sex scene felt very fan service-y.

I'd like to keep my criticisms mainly on the book, however, and not on the character. I used to hate Hawkeye until I read his solo book.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I'd like to keep my criticisms mainly on the book, however, and not on the character. I used to hate Hawkeye until I read his solo book.
Yeah his solo is an entirely different species of hero comic book IMO. Matt Fraction has done well on that. I don't know about Batwoman, I like her as a character, I like that the fact that she is a lesbian doesn't create the typical "sexy lesbian times" thing that usually occurs in comics. I find that she is like Batman, but without the ridiculous plot armor, she isn't this crazy-perfect has a plan and gadget for every situation kind of character, and that's okay for me.

But I can see why others might not be into her, and I find the book to be crazy wordy at times, but so are Swamp Thing and Animal and I love that shit!

Phase 3

Feels Good Man
Wow, awesome discussion guys -- I can't wait to release episode 3 and see what you think.

Actually, this discussion is horrifyingly painful to me because I have 3+ minutes of reasons why I genuinely love the book that I'd love to type, but as I said, you'll see it all early next week. What I will say is this, beyond the art I feel Kate is a very human character and it's her authenticity that makes her so compelling. Not having a strong connection to Bruce is a valid complaint for someone who genuinely appreciates the family dynamic of Bruce's extended network; however I've always happened to appreciate that Batwoman acts as the black sheep and her tales often tip into a purely supernatural territory that Batman typically avoids.

With all that said, please don't think I'm saying "once you see the vid you'll have to like Batwoman!" -- I'd never make a statement like that or assume my views on comics were righteous or anything like that. I understand that some books simply aren't for everyone. I could see how many people wouldn't get sucked into a dozen books I happen to like (Animal Man, etc.), but I do hope the video does a good job explaining why exactly I feel many people appreciate the character.