What's new

New Revision Discovered!!

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Hey guys. I was turned onto an Ebay auction for an MK2 main board that was labeled revision "4.1." by a friend...

4.1 is not a known revision of MK2. Here is a list of known revisions...

http://www.mksecrets.net/mk2/eng/mk2-arcade.php

...anyway, I snagged the board because the price wasn't bad and I wanted to preserve this unknown revision if it WAS indeed 4.1. Well, is was NOT 4.1. It was something called "X2." This is even stranger. I dumped the roms and used them to overwrite the 3.1 revision roms so I can show you guys what's up. I have played the game straight through a few times with different characters and the ONLY difference I can see between this "X2" and 3.1 is X2 has fast uppercut like Challenger, but that's it.

Regardless, it's now preserved and we have yet another new MK2 revision to mess around with. Here's a quick video of it in action. Thoughts?...

Very cool find. I'm assuming you will keep searching to see if anything else has been changed or do you think the uppercut is all there is to it?

Edit : BTW, did you notice that during the Reptile fight, Reptile was switching to the Sub Zero fighting stance? Is this a known animation glitch? First time I've ever seen that.

YourMKArcadeSource

Thanks Tim. Ciber, I did not notice that, but you are correct. Not sure if it's a glitch or not, but still interesting. I'll play it some more and see what I can find. NONE of the 4.2 hack stuff works on this X2 version, so I'm not sure what the purpose of it is.

YourMKArcadeSource

That would be crazy if they made an entire hack just to make the uppercuts a little faster lol. Good find and thanks for sharing.

(Maybe this is the revision with Kano to the of the "?" that I saw about 20 years ago)
Not sure what you mean, but it's still Jade at the "?"

YourMKArcadeSource

I played on a cabinet at a bowling alley (about 5 mins from where I lived) back in the day and there was a Kano avatar next to the Jade "?".
Here is a pic that I made of it a while back:

Now, I can't remember where the avatar was. It could have been to the right of all of the other character avatars, or to the left of where "your" chosen character was displayed. I asked one of the regulars there and he said that nobody knew how to do anything else with it.

I've asked around about it for years, but everyone just assumes I am being a dick about it or that it could have been an early revision, or a rare hack that everyone has now forgotten about. Too bad there weren't any cameraphones back then.

Well, I can tell you that there's no Kano Avatar and the "?" is regular Jade.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
that's pretty crazy ZAQ. you're a very reputable source, so I wonder what the heck version that was.
as for this version here... keep playing around with it and let us know what else you find!

Reactions: ZAQ