What's new

On forums I usually just lurk and almost never post, but I figured I'd make an intro thread anyway. I'm relatively new to fighting games in general, and only started playing them last year when I bought Mortal Kombat. Despite the fact that I was pretty bad at the game, I had a lot of fun with it, and it made me interested in checking out more games from this genre. I recently got IGAU (ultimate edition), and I've had a blast trying out the different characters on the roster and figuring out which ones I liked the most.

Fighting online, I lose the majority of the matches I get into, but I feel like I'm getting a little better. My execution is awful, my timing's all wrong and I can never pull off any of the monster combos I see posted, but hopefully with time my skills will improve and I can be a bit more competitive.

Despite hearing a lot of bad things in the past about the FGC, the people here seem pretty friendly, so hopefully I'll fit in okay and be able to learn a few things about how to up my game.

Fred Marvel

It's actually Freddy Marvel
On forums I usually just lurk and almost never post, but I figured I'd make an intro thread anyway. I'm relatively new to fighting games in general, and only started playing them last year when I bought Mortal Kombat. Despite the fact that I was pretty bad at the game, I had a lot of fun with it, and it made me interested in checking out more games from this genre. I recently got IGAU (ultimate edition), and I've had a blast trying out the different characters on the roster and figuring out which ones I liked the most.

Fighting online, I lose the majority of the matches I get into, but I feel like I'm getting a little better. My execution is awful, my timing's all wrong and I can never pull off any of the monster combos I see posted, but hopefully with time my skills will improve and I can be a bit more competitive.

Despite hearing a lot of bad things in the past about the FGC, the people here seem pretty friendly, so hopefully I'll fit in okay and be able to learn a few things about how to up my game.
dont worry about it man i was the same way just keep playing
tbh i bought MK a year ago and only tried to get good because i couldnt beat the story made and got washed online lol and i didnt even know what the fgc was until then. then i got IGAU when it came out and have been playing since, now im pretty good just havent gone to a tournament yet but ive played good players online and held my own so just keep playing and youll get there.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You're starting exactly where I started; I got whomped by all kinds of people at first in MK9 and the things I saw on videos looked next to impossible. Then I started to learn about frame data, counterpoking, spacing, anti-airing, footsies, yomi, setups etc. and the tables started to turn. Now regular players are easy cannon fodder, and I'm am going through it all again on another level to be able to beat much more experienced FGC members.

Welcome to TYM -- there are no shortage of people to play against and learn from here. There's some good and bad in every community; but if you learn what to ignore you'll be able to get the benefit of the good stuff.

Best of luck :)

Lilith

Baebality
That game has been bodied more than sasha grey, and I bought it again on XBL cause I couldn't resist....WELCOME STRANGER WHATYA BUYIN'? okay i am done. :D Welcome to TYM

I don't mind the jokes. RE4's one of my favorite games of all time, and I still like replaying it even though I 100% completed everything in it a long time ago. It's why I chose this as a username. :D

You're starting exactly where I started; I got whomped by all kinds of people at first in MK9 and the things I saw on videos looked next to impossible. Then I started to learn about frame data, counterpoking, spacing, anti-airing, footsies, yomi, setups etc. and the tables started to turn. Now regular players are easy cannon fodder, and I'm am going through it all again on another level to be able to beat much more experienced FGC members.

Welcome to TYM -- there are no shortage of people to play against and learn from here. There's some good and bad in every community; but if you learn what to ignore you'll be able to get the benefit of the good stuff.

Best of luck :)
Thanks man. I know I've got a ton of stuff to learn and a long way to go, but I'm really loving it and probably won't have trouble sticking with it.

None of my friends are into fighting games though, so I'm pretty much stuck playing random people. If anyone on PSN is willing to fight me and show me what I should be doing, I'd be grateful. My ID is TheHeroOfKvatch (I put this down in my profile details, but for some reason it's not showing up below my avatar like it does with other people).

Welcome @The Merchant what area do you play at? Could find a local scene to practice with.
I'm in SoCal, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a local scene pretty close to where I live. But unfortunately I'm pretty short on money and already have to spend a lot on gas every week just to drive to and from school, so unless it's really close, I don't think I'd be able to make the trip.

WW. Raven, and Bane huh? We'll get along juuuuust fine.

Welcome to the site!
Thanks!

Justice

Noob
I'm in SoCal, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a local scene pretty close to where I live. But unfortunately I'm pretty short on money and already have to spend a lot on gas every week just to drive to and from school, so unless it's really close, I don't think I'd be able to make the trip.

Thanks!
Yep. There is a huge scene near you. Check out the Regional Matchmaking boards for more info.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
Welcome to the site!

Best advice to offer you is to not rely on ranked to level up. Most people there aren't that good and won't give you good MU experience. Playing people from TYM is the best way to level up. Don't be afraid to ask for help either