What's new

Whiff Cancel Options to stuff wakeup tactics

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Does that mean Grundy can option select WC for wake-up attacks all day?

and also:
Somebody please add this video to the OP. It should be there.

Been playing with this a lot. It's nice. With Catwoman I'll dash up and do standing 3 F3 cancel.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Been doing this with frost week one. Good stuff bro. Didn't know everyone could do it. It's super dirty with frost lol. Once I condition them to block the meaty, I can go for 50/50s

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
MK9 players are familiar with this since it's been in MK9. I see it be used with armored b/f3 and parries. Another question: does it remove wake-up invincibility if the meaty hits?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I'm confuset's ground breaking? :confused:
Its not ground breaking really. I know quite a few people who has been doing it since week one, me being one of Em. Plus, this was in MK as well.

It's good to get it out to the rest of the community tho. Maybe they didn't know about it. It could change the game up quite a bit.

MK9 players are familiar with this since it's been in MK9. I see it be used with armored b/f3 and parries. Another question: does it remove wake-up invincibility if the meaty hits?
i think thats the point of it. and i personally think this sucks, wake-ups are weak enough already.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Its not ground breaking really. I know quite a few people who has been doing it since week one, me being one of Em. Plus, this was in MK as well.

It's good to get it out to the rest of the community tho. Maybe they didn't know about it. It could change the game up quite a bit.
I could only skim because it's late, I'm tired and on a tablet, but it's something about option selecting on wake up yeah? I think I've been doing this, though, lol.

But this is still something to be aware of. Good stuff doubleperfect

jaym7018

Noob
Options selects beat 2 or more options with one exchange. If one were to find a situation that safely keeps pressure going whether the opponent gets up blocking or decides to wake up attack, that would be an option select.
Therecis no need for the normal though. In your vid you do d1 flip which obviously would get punished if they blocked instead of a wakeup. You punished the scoop with flip but the d1 before hand served no purpose.Doing a normal into armor b3 also serves no purpose it doesnt do anything a naked mb b3 wouldnt do. If you found a move that stuffed a wake up and was safe on block you wouldnt need to do a normal for it to work.

jaym7018

Noob
Aris got me with that edit obviously you arent newxto fighting games. Never the less nothing ive seen described or in your vid is an option select.

Aris

Noob
Therecis no need for the normal though. In your vid you do d1 flip which obviously would get punished if they blocked instead of a wakeup. You punished the scoop with flip but the d1 before hand served no purpose.Doing a normal into armor b3 also serves no purpose it doesnt do anything a naked mb b3 wouldnt do. If you found a move that stuffed a wake up and was safe on block you wouldnt need to do a normal for it to work.
How about if Ares wakes up with a wake up attack teleport, and Deathstroke wakes him up with d+1 xx Sword Spin. Is that a option select?

HungryforPasta

Come and Get it!
What if superman just blocks?
the jab hits and the air throw comes out... I don't seem to understand the revolutionary utility here..

Does it seem to anybody else that the expo showing how this technique works with super, was borderline pointless?

If one does a low jab and prebuffers into super on the hope that the opponent simple wakes up invincibly reversal, wouldn't the super come out if they simply blocked? If that's the case then why not just raw super instead? if the super comes out whether or not they do an invincible reversal or not, what's the point?

Is backdashing the only option that this technique actually 'option-selects' against? if that's the case then I'm having trouble with seeing the value in this, what am I missing? :(

HungryforPasta

Come and Get it!
If this option select made it so that the armor wall bounce/super were to come out ONLY if the opponent woke up with an invincible attack and would NOT come out if they simply woke up blocking, then it would be something that would merit the opening statement of this article.

jaym7018

Noob
If this option select made it so that the armor wall bounce/super were to come out ONLY if the opponent woke up with an invincible attack and would NOT come out if they simply woke up blocking, then it would be something that would merit the opening statement of this article.
This is correct. If this occured it would be game breaking and need to be fixed.