What's new

New characters confirmed

ZAQ

Noob
They also say that a comic will be included in the "limited edition" of the game and it will be illustrated by John Tobias.
:(

I do agree that it can only be a good thing that he is working with him though.

Tobias is probably like "what is this hair-in-a-can fucker up to now?"

7h30n

Noob
So to summarize we have on MK side: Liu Kang, Scorpion, Shang Tsung, Sonya Blade, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Jax and ?

This means only one kombatant left, it can't be Johnny Cage (since this game takes place between MK2 and 3) so I guess it has to be Rayden or Reptile ...
Now what kind of MK is without Rayden but then again a MK game without Reptile ...
Or maybe there will be some other kombatant ...

Tim Static

Adminerator
So to summarize we have on MK side: Liu Kang, Scorpion, Shang Tsung, Sonya Blade, Sub-Zero, Kitana, Jax and ?

This means only one kombatant left, it can't be Johnny Cage (since this game takes place between MK2 and 3) so I guess it has to be Rayden or Reptile ...
Now what kind of MK is without Rayden but then again a MK game without Reptile ...
Or maybe there will be some other kombatant ...
My money is on Raiden & Wonder Woman to be added next.

They really need to consider making it at least 12 per side, with Reptile & Kabal added to MK side.

It will probably be Raiden.

At least it really should be and makes the most sense.
Hopefully it is Rayden, I miss playing as him. Also, wasn't there a trailer with him in it at some point? This game would be better if there was around 20-25 characters, oppose to 16. There's just so many MK characters that are good and that should be used.

dubson

Noob
That was a fake trailer, actually.

and his name is spelled Raiden ya noobs lol.

He just makes the most sense to me to be included in the game.

The dude can teleport and shoot lightning at people for cryin out loud.

That was a fake trailer, actually.

and his name is spelled Raiden ya noobs lol.

He just makes the most sense to me to be included in the game.

The dude can teleport and shoot lightning at people for cryin out loud.
Oh, I just remembered a trailer didn't know it was fake.

Well, I spell his name according to the MKT N64 version and that is spelled "Rayden".

EDIT: Also, in MK2 it's spelled "Rayden"

dubson

Noob
Well, I spell his name according to the MKT N64 version and that is spelled "Rayden".
EDIT: Also, in MK2 it's spelled "Rayden"
That makes perfect sense to spell his name the way it was spelled in two versions of Moral Kombat out of 10+ games that:

1) Noone takes serious

2) Were a rushed ports, and

3) they misspelled his name.

You are the man.

That makes perfect sense to spell his name the way it was spelled in two versions of Moral Kombat out of 10+ games that:

1) Noone takes serious

2) Were a rushed ports, and

3) they misspelled his name.

You are the man.
Well it was the game I played most as a kid, and the game I've always liked the most out of all the MK games. I've just always spelled it like that because of that game. And I didn't know they misspelled his name in the 2 games they did, and both games are the only ones I played growing up (MKT N64, and SNES MK2). But honestly, does it really matter how it's spelled...?

EDIT: Anywho, hope Rayden/Raiden is the character who's in this game. Either him or Ermac, and Ermac doesn't seem likely to happen.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Home versions, Raiden was spelled with a Y to avoid a lawsuit from another game company that has use of that name in the home market. Something like that, I think the shooter Raiden to be specific.

Tim Static

Adminerator
I never played the SNES or Genesis versions of any of the MK's, so I wouldnt have known.

Correction. I played MK1 & MK2 ONCE on the SNES last year for about 5 minutes total.

dubson

Noob
I think it also had to do with this Raiden, an SNK character who originated in the Fatal Fury games...

It might not be related, but the first Fatal Fury game did come out before the first Mortal Kombat game...

7h30n

Noob
You got it, here is direct from wikipedia:
Raiden's name was spelled as is in all of the original MK arcade versions, and in every game released since MK4. The console ports released up until then, along with both movies and the comic book series, changed the name to "Rayden." This was allegedly because of copyright issues regarding the Raiden series of arcade games, or possibly to prevent confusion with a playable character named Raiden from the Fatal Fury series.

So as someone said, I also think that the 2 remaining are Wonder Woman and Raiden (lol Rayden looks cooler to me, and Rayden is my favorite since my first MK2 fight at my neighbour's ... ah those were the times)

Edit: Oh and Rayden was really inspired by that movie: "Raiden's appearance and mastery of electricity appears to have been inspired by the villain "Lightning" from the 1986 John Carpenter film Big Trouble in Little China. As if referencing the influence, Lightning's prominently large straw hat is available alongside Raiden's smaller hat as usable parts in Armageddon's Kreate-a-Fighter mode."

Big Trouble in Little China was few days ago on TV, it's ok movie but the resemblance of Rayden and Lightning is huge

dubson

Noob
You got it, here is direct from wikipedia:
Raiden's name was spelled as is in all of the original MK arcade versions, and in every game released since MK4. The console ports released up until then, along with both movies and the comic book series, changed the name to "Rayden." This was allegedly because of copyright issues regarding the Raiden series of arcade games, or possibly to prevent confusion with a playable character named Raiden from the Fatal Fury series.

So as someone said, I also think that the 2 remaining are Wonder Woman and Raiden (lol Rayden looks cooler to me, and Rayden is my favorite since my first MK2 fight at my neighbour's ... ah those were the times)

Edit: Oh and Rayden was really inspired by that movie: "Raiden's appearance and mastery of electricity appears to have been inspired by the villain "Lightning" from the 1986 John Carpenter film Big Trouble in Little China. As if referencing the influence, Lightning's prominently large straw hat is available alongside Raiden's smaller hat as usable parts in Armageddon's Kreate-a-Fighter mode."

Big Trouble in Little China was few days ago on TV, it's ok movie but the resemblance of Rayden and Lightning is huge
I agree in that I think his name should be spelled Rayden, with how his name is pronounced.

But yeah its completely obvious they created his character based off "Lightning" off of Big Trouble in Little China.

I would be very suprised if Wonder Woman is not in this game, seeing as I think they want at least 2 female characters on both the MK and DC side, and she is the most popular female DC superhero by far.

Goofart

Mr. Sexy Pants
To avoid any confusion and copyright infringement midway should have dressed him in pink spandex and named him Gayden instead

Just Noticed, there's only one "bad guy" from the MK series so far (Shang Tsung) so I'd like Someone like Kano or Baraka as the final guy.

Scorpion is "neutral" as he's (according to the plotlines we're aware of) only searching for a way out of hell, seing as he's killed the original Sub-Zero, and is currently protector of the "new" Sub-Zero who IIRC was a good guy in MK2/3