What's new

New Character "Vega" Trailer

Noob
The issues people are having with the graphics have nothing to do with performance and everything to do with art. Vega's hair looks terrible. Ken's hair looks terrible. It's not that the physics are terrible, it's the texture work and that horrid shader Capcom is in love with.
im gonna assume you didnt read my post, and know little of game development... because i explained all that in my post

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
im gonna assume you didnt read my post, and know little of game development... because i explained all that in my post
I did read your post. It doesn't actually make sense. The art, specifically the art choices and terrible shader, has nothing to do with perf (unless the shader is murdering frames, but that doesn't seem to be the case). If the art had to deal with fewer draw calls or triangles or the physics were a mess you might be on to something. That's not the problem. The problems are decisions and not implementation. The art team presumably knows that they're using UE4 and what limitations they are likely going to have, so having a character's head look like it's topped with fondant isn't the engineering team's fault.

As far as not understanding gamedev, you got me there. I'm frequently reminded of how little I know when I'm forced to sit in on damn server team meetings as the design liaison. If there's one thing I don't care about, it's rpc bandwidth optimization. I just want them to make the game faster. Jeez.

Where do you work? Maybe you could teach me a little about gamdev and when/where the graphics tightening takes place.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
Sheeew that face.

Vega is supposed to be beautiful.
I wish he was more slender and sleek looking instead of buffed up.

Oh well. Glad to see him.

Noob
I did read your post. It doesn't actually make sense. The art, specifically the art choices and terrible shader, has nothing to do with perf (unless the shader is murdering frames, but that doesn't seem to be the case). If the art had to deal with fewer draw calls or triangles or the physics were a mess you might be on to something. That's not the problem. The problems are decisions and not implementation. The art team presumably knows that they're using UE4 and what limitations they are likely going to have, so having a character's head look like it's topped with fondant isn't the engineering team's fault.

As far as not understanding gamedev, you got me there. I'm frequently reminded of how little I know when I'm forced to sit in on damn server team meetings as the design liaison. If there's one thing I don't care about, it's rpc bandwidth optimization. I just want them to make the game faster. Jeez.

Where do you work? Maybe you could teach me a little about gamdev and when/where the graphics tightening takes place.
Well you are Right on some points, the Shader they are using, is the art devs call, if someone doesnt like it, well then, not much can be done about that, its just what youd call different tastes... you say you like it, someone will say it looks liek shit, such is life... As of right now i dunno in what clear stages of dev they are so i can only draw from what they say and to the extent of the information we have, and they seem to still be ironing out a lot of the performance issues to make the online solid, if this is the case the very low polygonal hair and models might be the only poly budget they can work with at this time... you might be right and due to the strain the good online performance puts on the machine they might not even be able to increase their budget and thus you pruve me wrong and the shitty hair and models remain as is.. But i surely hope thats not the case, as i dont see this current gen machines not being able to handle both a high online performance and very detailed models, specially in the hair... As for the faces you comented on in your first post, i jsut have not excuse to give you, as a Character Designer/Modeler thats straight up their art choise and the modellers doing what they are shown as reference so yeah... gotta deal with it, im pretty sure its quite unanimous that pretty much all the faces aside from Chun and Ryu are looking like crap

Noob
Sheeew that face.

Vega is supposed to be beautiful.
I wish he was more slender and sleek looking instead of buffed up.

Oh well. Glad to see him.
Yeah... Since SFIV Vega has been looking more and more buffed, i mean almost everyone has even the girls... Cammy used to look muscular but still very female like.. in SFV those Arms are looking hideous... as for Vega, i also prefer the Sleek look more, than the Overly buffed up variation we have atm...

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
At least they finally redesigned someone (assuming that's his default costume) That new target move he has looks interesting, like he throws something at you before hitting you.

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
At least they finally redesigned someone (assuming that's his default costume) That new target move he has looks interesting, like he throws something at you before hitting you.
Agreed. I actually really like his costume design. Glad he's blonde too. I hated brunette Vega. :p

Noob
its a rose MKF30, its his V trigger if i recall correctly. he Tosses a rose at the opponent, if it hits, he will follow up with the attack you see in the vid

EDIT: also his backflip dodge move from SFIV has been reworked, you can see it also in the vid but its to fast to notice, he will do a parry like move/animation where you can decide to do a quick counter attack of just evade backwards... Pretty cool in my opinion

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Agreed. I actually really like his costume design. Glad he's blonde too. I hated brunette Vega. :p
Yeah lol I used to like oldschool Vega but noticed over time his hair got lighter lol. It's cool though to see him not in tights for once lol.

its a rose MKF30, its his V trigger if i recall correctly. he Tosses a rose at the opponent, if it hits, he will follow up with the attack you see in the vid

EDIT: also his backflip dodge move from SFIV has been reworked, you can see it also in the vid but its to fast to notice, he will do a parry like move/animation where you can decide to do a quick counter attack of just evade backwards... Pretty cool in my opinion
Ah cool, cool. Thanks, haha a rose huh? That's fitting. More of an MK guy than SF but when I do play SF I always liked Vega lol That's cool, good update. RedHood, cool character too ;)

Reactions: 14K

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Wanted to say to anyone worrying about the graphics, Capcom has been making graphical changes since chun and ryu were announced. You can look at early announce footage to E3 and already see improvements all over. I'm sure the game will look amazing come release. Especially with everyone talkin about Ken's banana hair.