What's new

New Basement Arcade (Pic Heavy)

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
Hey guys and gals. For the last 10 years or so, I've been living in my quiet little 'starter' home with nearly 30 arcade machines scattered between 2 bedrooms, 1 dining room, 1 friend's house, and my sister's house. I finally reached a point in my life where I was able to purchase a new home with a basement big enough for all my machines. There is a bit of backstory first.

So the person I purchased the home from built it and when he finished the basement, he put up two non-load bearing walls to add a second living area and storage area within the main living area. I asked him if he would be willing to knock down the two walls so it would all be one big open area again, I'd pay his asking price. He said "Sure, no problem," So I went ahead with the deal, he called me and told me the place was move-in ready and everything was done. As you can see from the pics below, it was not. He knocked down the walls as agreed, but he left the basement in the condition you see below. From that last message, I never heard from him again. I'm an easy-going person and I knew that if I tried to track him down and make him do something about it, it would take forever and I just wanted to get it all fixed up because I was anxious to get my arcade up and running.

So I did everything myself. Got it all done for under $200. With the back story told, here are all the pics, complete with a final video at the end of how it all is at this moment, with all the spoils I got from the recent GGA Kombat Kon. First though, teaser of the "Kombat Section/Lair." Just wanted to share this because I know there are a handful of guys here who like the arcade scene as well as the home console stuff. Thanks - Mike

YourMKArcadeSource

I changed things up a bit for the video to give myself some space to add a few more if I want to. On the lookout for a Frogger and a Tetris currently...

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Wow, wow man .... so many flashbacks! I had 1993-2003 all over again in my head. There is life all over the Arcades. It more then just mashing buttons. IMO that was really breaking era. Where I lived and played I was the youngest one. I was in may early 20's. Most of the guys where at least 7-8 years older then me. They were at Arcades almost every day after work. Friends, rivals... people traveled to play, from Arcade to Arcade, from city to city to conquer. Those were not kids...sometimes the play was no joke.... the feeling when your opponent just wont quit, the satisfaction .... he keeps breaking down his cash and all of a sudden he pops .... then he pushes you over and either you walk away or you take it outside ha hah a ....

That approach had strong influence on some of us ...

@YourMKArcadeSource

You got all emotional now. If I knew that in hell they would have such a collection i'd stop going to Church to by my ticket to heaven xD

I have a favor to ask, if You dont mind. I would like clear shot of that black n white JC photo for a friend of mine. I would really ap[appreciate that

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Looks like you have yourself a bonafide hobby. It's pretty intense. I can't imagine this was easy or inexpensive to put together.

Do you have to deal with repairs much?

YourMKArcadeSource

Looks like you have yourself a bonafide hobby. It's pretty intense. I can't imagine this was easy or inexpensive to put together.

Do you have to deal with repairs much?
Not really. I do all the repairs myself (monitors, PCBs, etc). Minus the three pinball machines, I didn't pay more than $1000 for any machine you see. They aren't that expensive, if you know what they are worth. These guys buying the cheap multiboards and trying to make a $2000 profit drive me crazy. And people pay that because they don't research to find out what they are actually worth.

YourMKArcadeSource

Wow, wow man .... so many flashbacks! I had 1993-2003 all over again in my head. There is life all over the Arcades. It more then just mashing buttons. IMO that was really breaking era. Where I lived and played I was the youngest one. I was in may early 20's. Most of the guys where at least 7-8 years older then me. They were at Arcades almost every day after work. Friends, rivals... people traveled to play, from Arcade to Arcade, from city to city to conquer. Those were not kids...sometimes the play was no joke.... the feeling when your opponent just wont quit, the satisfaction .... he keeps breaking down his cash and all of a sudden he pops .... then he pushes you over and either you walk away or you take it outside ha hah a ....

That approach had strong influence on some of us ...

@YourMKArcadeSource

You got all emotional now. If I knew that in hell they would have such a collection i'd stop going to Church to by my ticket to heaven xD

I have a favor to ask, if You dont mind. I would like clear shot of that black n white JC photo for a friend of mine. I would really ap[appreciate that
Thanks for the kinds words. These ok?...