What's new

New and looking to move up

So, I have a PS4 and a copy of MKX that I can't touch until Christmas. I haven't had to wait to actually touch a present for Christimas since I was 8, but it is what it is.

I really want to get into MKX, and potentially on a competitive level. Problem is, I've never played a 2D game competitively. I've only taken part of one fighting game tourney and it was for Tekken 6, which I was pretty good at.

I primarily have three questions:

1. Is the game balanced pretty well?
2. How important are resets vs full combos in competitive play?
3. If I'm the type of player who likes distance characters who can still do combos (prefer with a Low and Mid combo starter) as a good method of keepaway, who should I be looking at?

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
First of all,your questions will be answered when you learn the game well,first of all get into it,and then you ll find the answers, the only thing I can tell you is that you can't zone in this game as you did in mk9

KrstffrMunk

Bane/Black Manta/Captain Cold
1. Better balance than its predecessors, a few characters' gimmicks might be a bit strong atm.
2. Depends on the character.
3. Quan Chi, I guess.

shmatka

How much 1 could a 112 if a 11212?
The game is balanced very well. Even low tier characters in the right hands aren't at a huge disadvantage to the top of the cast. You'll notice patterns pretty quickly after picking the game up of which characters are better or worse.

As you start out, full combos are definitely the way to begin learning. You want to be able to maximize damage for a comeback factor, or to close out a round. Once you get comfortable with basic bnbs, start looking into resets and safety strings. They are great ways to keep your offense going, and to keep your opponent afraid to press a button.

If you like keep away characters, I would recommend Predator, Quan chi, or Takeda. Predator and Quan have (arguably) the best zoning in the game with good full-screen presence, but also good rush down pressure options. Takeda flourishes in the mid screen. His normals reach a considerably longer distance than most of the rest of the cast, so he gets his kicks out of OH/low midscreen mixups. He has a pretty fun spacing game

Hope any of that helps.

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Best way to get better is to find locals near you and play there chances are if you are new the players would be more than happy to teach you anything you want to know and help you grow as a player