What's new

New 52: What would you replace?

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Generally when the New 52 was initially announced the most speculation was around what the 52 titles would be. Then since it's creation there have been many titles that have been dropped and others that have been created in their place.

So, the question is: If you could cancel any New 52 books and replace them with a new one, what would they be? Mine are below, state your reasons for cancelling/explanations of you new titles.

Batman: The Dark Knight --> Gotham Central
It doesn't have a bad story or anything, it's just there are to many Batman-centric books. You have Batman, Batman & Robin, Detective Comics, Batman/Superman coming soon. Gotham Central was great because it focused on the human side of having to live in Gotham, having to deal with the horrendous corruption and offers a different perspective on Batman). It would also be a great way of reintroducing certain characters who have disappeared since the New 52 started (looking at you Renee Montoya). Gotham Central is one of the best book I've read and it's a shame it ended, especially as there is some focus on criminal empires in Detective Comics.

Savage Hawkman --> Secret Six or other Villain related title
Why Hawkman? Because I personally find it dull as hell, I don't like the character so this one is obviously a personal point. Why Secret Six? Because the original was such a great line-up of characters who I find interesting and sorely miss. Could easily tie-in with Suicide Squad if needs be. Basically I want a comic based on villains doing their villain thing, less focused on vs. heroes and more on fighting for control/survival in general. Loads of possible villains to use who are thus far absent from the New 52 world. Suicide Squad is villains under Waller's control, I'd rather seem them out on their own or alternatively about being in super-prisons like Iron Heights/Blackgate/Arkham/Belle Reve.

Justice League of America --> Checkmate
I like the new Justice League of America and it's spin-off titles that are forming, and it seems to be leading up to the Trinity War event. But after it's done, are you really going to need two Justice League books still? I doubt it, as one team will be defeated or they will merge, JL will have the classic moment it always has after such events: round-table of who will be in the new JL. So, to fill the void, why not Checkmate? It was an interesting title and I always liked the idea/structure of the Checkmate organization, could easily be linked to many titles and existing organizations in the comics such as ARGUS. Potential for new and old favorite characters to return is pretty high. Would make sense if the "government-sanctioned" Justice League ends up merged/disbanded after Trinity War.

EDIT: Also cancel something like Katana to make way for a Cyborg title, why? Justice League members who don't have their own comic: Cyborg.

Batman The Dark Knight-> Lobo: Haven't picked up this series yet but I heard it serves no purpose and is one of the worst in the New 52. So why not give the Main Man some love

Red Lanterns->Secret Six: Red Lanterns is up there with the worst titles New 52 has to offer. Secret Six would be an awesome chance to give a lot of villains some spotlight

Legion of Super Heroes-> Booster Gold

Also make SHAZAM and Manhunter standalone titles and for gods sake fix the writing in Catwoman and Green Arrow because they're easily the worst N52 titles

EGGXI

Scary Bat
ICE_C0LD_ZERO
Lobo: I'd be down for it for sure. TDK isn't so much bad as it is redundant. Only issue is that the Lobo introduced in Deathstroke was so fraggin' bad they would have to do some serious retconning. Would love it if he turned up in Threshold though, he'd fit right in.
Booster: I'd feel bad for Legion fans, but I don't really care, Booster was one of my favorite titles and I prefer him in his solo books over his team appearances.
Secret Six: At this point I would axe pretty much anything to get Secret Six or a prison/villain title.

I think someone somewhere mentioned that Shazam is getting his own thing after Trinity? I love his story in JL so far. But I wouldn't cancel Green Arrow for it, it's just started getting good!

Lobo also recently appeared as a Stormwatch villain and they seem to have done his design justice this time. I also read that Deathstroke story arc and man I wanted to puke. Glad Deathstroke was cancelled, it had a great start but afterwards it became really lame

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Blame Liefeld. Always blame Liefeld.

Was Lobo in Stormwatch?! I must not be paying enough attention... I know whatsherface (I want to say Fatality but I know that's wrong, she wears red and has swords but I can't remember her name!) turned up in Stormwatch, and she was originally hunting Lobo in that terrible arc we mentioned, but I can't remember Lobo...

EGGXI

Scary Bat
I just remembered what's happened in Stormwatch and as much as I like Lobo I won't be picking up that title anymore. They literally rebooted a reboot. Not only this, but they basically just threw out the new storyline and new designs, which I quite liked, and basically went back to a 90's design and story. Waaaay to be progressive.

Definitely be bringing back Gotham Central. It was a really great series. Makes me sad not having Montoya in the New 52, since she became one of my favorite character in the Pre52.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Definitely be bringing back Gotham Central. It was a really great series. Makes me sad not having Montoya in the New 52, since she became one of my favorite character in the Pre52.
Re-reading "52" the series specifically for more Renee Montoya. But yeah, I only read Gotham Central recently on a friend's recommendation and the whole idea of cops having to deal with all the Gotham crazies/metas/corruption was amazing. It's sort of why I liked New 52 Batwing as well as the level of corruption David had to put up with as a cop in africa was like Gotham x 100

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Batman The Dark Knight-> Lobo: Haven't picked up this series yet but I heard it serves no purpose and is one of the worst in the New 52. So why not give the Main Man some love

Red Lanterns->Secret Six: Red Lanterns is up there with the worst titles New 52 has to offer. Secret Six would be an awesome chance to give a lot of villains some spotlight

Legion of Super Heroes-> Booster Gold

Also make SHAZAM and Manhunter standalone titles and for gods sake fix the writing in Catwoman and Green Arrow because they're easily the worst N52 titles
Have you read any of Jeff Lemire's Green Arrow yet? Green Arrow is much better now...trust me on that. Shazam is getting his own stand alone title btw, so no worries there. We will both be satisfied on that one lol.

Yeah, 52 was great just to see Montoya's storyline. That probably was one of my favorite parts of 52. That and Black Adam. Flashpoint was one that I thought was okay. It was good but just okay. Though, I did enjoy the Flashpoint Batman mini. That was pretty awesome.

Thinking bout going back and rereading Identity Crisis. That's been one of my favorites for the longest time. I'm hoping that they'll eventually decide to make it into an animated film.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Anything ---> A childrens book about starro's efforts to dominate the universe.
I can see that happening, I'm sure they'll cancel all the Batman & Superman titles to make sure everyone focuses on Starro: my little conqueror

Much though I would love the Starro book we all secretly agreed that if Dark Knight got cancelled we'd give it to Secret Six or Gotham Central. WE ALL AGREED! ALL OF US!
but... but... starro would be all fluffy and stuff... well gooey.

Scarlett Viper

Let's begin the witching hour.
Replace World's Finest with a GOOD Powergirl/Huntress book.
Dark Knight with Gotham Central/Sirens
Batman and *guest* with a Black Bat/Spoiler book
the Green Team: Zatanna,Sword of Sorcery or Dr Fate.

EGGXI

Scary Bat
Replace World's Finest with a GOOD Powergirl/Huntress book.
World's Finest is the first book to make me interested in either of their characters so: OH NO YOU DI'INT!

Dark Knight with Gotham Central/Sirens
Mmmmm yes...YES!

Batman and *guest* with a Black Bat/Spoiler book
If I didn't love Robin/Batman interactions so much I would... but I would love a female Robins book: Carrie Kelley has made her appearance, then add Steph & Cass and then throw in Harper Lee as well and you have a solid book. Hell, make them the New Birds of Prey!

The Green Team: Zatanna,Sword of Sorcery or Dr Fate.
Don't knock in til you've tried it? I'm skeptical too, but let's give it a chance... I wanna cancel The Movement but I'll give it a few more issues.
But yeah, I really like Sword of Sorcery, especially some of their back-up stories! Zat is doing okay in JLD and Fate is a main in a relatively small cast in Earth 2.

Scarlett Viper

World's Finest is the first book to make me interested in either of their characters so: OH NO YOU DI'INT!

Mmmmm yes...YES!

If I didn't love Robin/Batman interactions so much I would... but I would love a female Robins book: Carrie Kelley has made her appearance, then add Steph & Cass and then throw in Harper Lee as well and you have a solid book. Hell, make them the New Birds of Prey!

Don't knock in til you've tried it? I'm skeptical too, but let's give it a chance... I wanna cancel The Movement but I'll give it a few more issues.
But yeah, I really like Sword of Sorcery, especially some of their back-up stories! Zat is doing okay in JLD and Fate is a main in a relatively small cast in Earth 2.
I just heard it's not good maybe It's good IDK
I aim to please:D
Robin's dead now though the series should've ended then I mean Batman's cool but Bruce doesn't need 5-6 books and fans have been begging for Cass and Steph.
It just seems like it'll be canned soon after it's release, so Zatanna get's plenty of screentime in JLD And I didn't know Fate was in Earth 2 sweet! And yeah good heroine books are a must here's hoping Pandora isn't garbage.

Scarlett Viper

Mmmmm yes...YES!

I just heard it's not good maybe It's good IDK
I aim to please:D
Robin's dead now though the series should've ended then I mean Batman's cool but Bruce doesn't need 5-6 books and fans have been begging for Cass and Steph.
It just seems like it'll be canned soon after it's release, so Zatanna get's plenty of screentime in JLD And I didn't know Fate was in Earth 2 sweet! And yeah good heroine books are a must here's hoping Pandora isn't garbage.

Reedoms

Noob
It's a real vocal minority. Stephanies Batgirl run was one of the worst selling Batgirl books ever.