What's new

Need Some Character Help

NHDR

Noob
I'm a SF player taking MK seriously for the first time. I like the following in a character:

+Good AA
+Safe
+Simple to understand
+Basic execution

So far I've been using Kotal Kahn (War God). He fits my criteria except he's a tad bit sluggish/slow. Still, I'm getting used to him and the game in general. Once I "figure" the game out I'd like to give more attention to Kano (Cybernetic) and Kenshi (Balanced). My initial plan was to main Kenshi immediately but I'd rather master rush down first before zoning.

Are there any characters I'm missing that fit my criteria? I was giving a look at Ferra/Torr, is he a fit?

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
If you think Kotal is a bit too sluggish Ferra/Torr will probably fall in the same category. I like them a lot but they're definitely not quick. Maybe Lackey variation since that's more rushdown oriented but that's the variation I have the least time with.

NHDR

Noob
Thanks for the help! I've spent time with Ferra/Torr and you're definitely right. Not my style. Anyone else, please? I've been sticking with Kotal and Kano since this post.

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
I come from SF and have been playing Commando Kano exclusively. He has a few tricky combos for dmg but for the most part he's all about footsies and command grabs, and his corner combos are relatively simple. That would be the only thing that would take a while to get down, since the input for command grabs in this game is weird. Took me a week and a half or so to get the motion down consistently.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
All around good character imo would be like liu kang and kano. Kung Lao fits the criteria really nicely but he's all about risk and over loading your opponent even if it's unsafe.

Reptile is good too your anti air game is sorta week too

NHDR

Noob
I come from SF and have been playing Commando Kano exclusively. He has a few tricky combos for dmg but for the most part he's all about footsies and command grabs, and his corner combos are relatively simple. That would be the only thing that would take a while to get down, since the input for command grabs in this game is weird. Took me a week and a half or so to get the motion down consistently.
Yeah, I've been using Cybernetic Kano. I feel totally comfortable using him but I'm still trying to learn a rushdown character. I'm just not feeling zoning as the strongest archetype in this game, hence my desire to learn Kotal.

Do command grabs work the same way as in SF? As in, poke (pause) and then go into cmd?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'd recommend full-auto Jacqui. Her anti-air (Up Missile) leads to full-screen meterless 31% conversions. Her combos also require very basic and easy-to-connect run cancels, which will allow you to more easily get used to other characters with tighter or more complicated/strict run cancels. Overall she's a basic character with some great tools.

...or just pick Kung Jin...

FlappyDaniel

Yeah, I've been using Cybernetic Kano. I feel totally comfortable using him but I'm still trying to learn a rushdown character. I'm just not feeling zoning as the strongest archetype in this game, hence my desire to learn Kotal.

Do command grabs work the same way as in SF? As in, poke (pause) and then go into cmd?
yeah, you scare them with pokes so they just block, then hit them with a command grab before they can react. There are tick throws as well for blocking opponents, as well as his parry which can be used to interrupt some strings vs characters or try to disrupt pressure. You can also combo into command grab in juggles.

Kevin 7

The bad boy scout
Kung Jin. He has every tool imaginable in the game. From what people have told me is extremely easy to pickup.

FlappyDaniel

Try Cutthroat if you feel like cyber is too catered towards zoning for some reason. He has an improved Oki/rushdown game because of the OH he has for B1...of course he loses his godlike B1 from the other 2 variations but he's got some relatively simple combos as well. Plus knives are no slouch in the other 2 variations.