What's new

Need some advice/help on a main

Caine

Noob
I'm fairly new to the whole fighting community, MK9 being my introduction. I've spent a lot of time on the game since. I need some advice on characters geared towards my play style. I've spent most of my time on Sub and KL, which are get characters, but not my style.

I like playing mind game characters, like Sub, but I feel like he lacks a bit on unique tools. Seems to rely to much on corner game as well.

KL is to rush down for me.

I have played a ton of characters so far though, such as Liu, JC, Ermac, Smoke, Noob, Kano, Kabal, Shang, and Raiden so I have some experience with all the different styles.

I'm wondering what are some characters that have some good mind games but are solid as well. I also like avoiding overplayed characters AKA Sub/Scorp.
Been looking at Cyrax and Reptile, are they solid choices?

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Cyrax. Is. Fucking. Awesome. Learn him without resets. I don't see those big combos sticking around much longer.

SZSR

Noob
Cyrax. Is. Fucking. Awesome. Learn him without resets. I don't see those big combos sticking around much longer.
QFT.

If you like mind games and if you're patient, Smoke can probably be your guy, but you have to be just as active with Smoke as you are with any rushdown character since he really depends on spacing. Johnny Cage is pretty good, he's just an all around fun guy to use even if you're not a fan of rushdown. Liu Kang is also a solid choice as well as Kabal.

TBH, we can help you with our character forums, but it really depends on your personal taste. You should try out everyone in Arcade mode a few times to see who you really like.

Caine

Noob
QFT.

If you like mind games and if you're patient, Smoke can probably be your guy, but you have to be just as active with Smoke as you are with any rushdown character since he really depends on spacing. Johnny Cage is pretty good, he's just an all around fun guy to use even if you're not a fan of rushdown. Liu Kang is also a solid choice as well as Kabal.

TBH, we can help you with our character forums, but it really depends on your personal taste. You should try out everyone in Arcade mode a few times to see who you really like.
Played a TON of smoke and got pretty good. But I really disliked his mixup options.

Something doesn't click with sektor, I just tried him for awhile.

Definitely interested in this thread. Mained Smoke for a bit but stopped due to bad mixups/closeup game, and am currently working on Reptile, though I'm still not sure if he's the best option for me.

More recommendations for speedy mind-game/trickster characters would be awesome.

Caine

Noob
Cyrax is working well for me so far. Has some awesome mixups with his standard throw, command throw, overheads, and bombs. His combos into nets can really catch you off guard.

Sektor was pretty sick to, awesome mixups. I'm suprised hes so underplayed.