What's new

Question - Erron Black Need help with the basics

lDlDub

Noob
Guys,
I know im a noob and im sorry for posting this because im sure most of you are far beyond where im at right now. I'm literally losing to every character in the game online. It seems like all the practice I do learning Erron's combos goes completely to waste against people online. I can tell the people I'm losing to are guys who just learn a certain character's specials and mix them up a lot. I know I'm really missing something here. I know it's a lot to ask, but if I posted a video of my gameplay, would anyone care to enlighten me on what im doing wrong? Or perhaps someone could post their gameplay with Erron so I could see how it's done. Remember, im not SonicFox so if ur really really good at this game then me watching u play is gonna be hard for me to learn from lol. Thanks guys

(P.S. my gt is LDLDUB if anyone wants to lab. And no, im not some annoying 16 yr old kid)

Guys,
I know im a noob and im sorry for posting this because im sure most of you are far beyond where im at right now. I'm literally losing to every character in the game online. It seems like all the practice I do learning Erron's combos goes completely to waste against people online. I can tell the people I'm losing to are guys who just learn a certain character's specials and mix them up a lot. I know I'm really missing something here. I know it's a lot to ask, but if I posted a video of my gameplay, would anyone care to enlighten me on what im doing wrong? Or perhaps someone could post their gameplay with Erron so I could see how it's done. Remember, im not SonicFox so if ur really really good at this game then me watching u play is gonna be hard for me to learn from lol. Thanks guys

(P.S. my gt is LDLDUB if anyone wants to lab. And no, im not some annoying 16 yr old kid)
Hey man. It is always okay to post noob questions. This forum is here for you to level up your playstyle. I don't play Erron, but basic mechanics are global so a link to you fighting would be great.

If this is the first fighting game you play I'd advise starting with an easier character (like venomous D'Vorah or cut throath Kano) aside from that having a footage of you playing online would sure help (I'm by no means a good enough player but maybe I can help).

lDlDub

Noob
Hey man. It is always okay to post noob questions. This forum is here for you to level up your playstyle. I don't play Erron, but basic mechanics are global so a link to you fighting would be great.
Thanks Ares. I will get the video up soon. Gonna go eat some dinner and recharge to ol' batteries. I appreciate it man

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
By all means do indeed drop some gameplay footage in the appropriate Erron Black video thread.

I encourage all folk to do this as it's the fastest way you can get relevant and accurate advise.

Be sure to check the Match up thread too!

Jimbo

Noob
d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 when they block use a string. Just mash d1. This game is such a pile of shit lmao. Dead in no time. especially with the netcode being trash. It had a chance but nrs is making money off nostalgia. No need to spend extra $$$ to make things work right when they are making bank as is. If you buy a pile of shit they'll keep selling you piles of shit with dlc turds to add to your pile of shit.

d1 d1 d1 d1 d1 when they block use a string. Just mash d1. This game is such a pile of shit lmao. Dead in no time. especially with the netcode being trash. It had a chance but nrs is making money off nostalgia. No need to spend extra $$$ to make things work right when they are making bank as is. If you buy a pile of shit they'll keep selling you piles of shit with dlc turds to add to your pile of shit.
Standing ovation. And the award for the saltiest player of all time goes to.....

This guy that I just quoted.

*hORRAAY AND THE CROWD GOES WILD*

:DOGE

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Finding a training partner is good. When you learn how to behave and think against a human being, your skills will improve. Learning how to block and punish is more important than learning how to do 30~40% combos online right away. I've found a partner who is a noob just like me and has Scorpion as his main, and I've improved greatly! Noobs of the outworld, unite!

lDlDub

Noob
Ok guys. Here's my gameplay. Any and all advice is much appreciated. The second match against Kano really made me salty lol

Your basics look decent. You keep getting an overhead but you never convert it to a combo. I don't know enough about EB to say much more though unfortunately :/ I'm sure someone else will chime in after I give you this bump.

lDlDub

Noob
I just feel like all that pressure Kano was sending my way was nothing special. I just couldn;t figure out a way to counter it for some reason

InFlames

dead
what

Houndovhell

Subby-Z is my Main Man, the Man that I Main
I just feel like all that pressure Kano was sending my way was nothing special. I just couldn;t figure out a way to counter it for some reason
I didn't look at the gameplay, mainly because I can't see straight right now so itd do no good xD but I noticed youre on xb, so if I ever have free time we can scrim :p going to be working on streaming soon
But anyways, if you're having trouble punishing, go into training mode with the character you're having trouble with (kano in this instance) and learn his mixups and 50/50's and fakeout mixups. Learn what they look like, learn which ones lead to combos, learn the best way to block and then work on specials.
First is punishing, work on jumping over his knives and trying to get in close (cOUGH ex slide) Once you're in, don't let him win. ;D dat rhyme doe. Anyways, learn how to punish raw specials, then learn which ones to look out for at the end of strings, like sonic did. He conditioned Dizzy to expect a throw after one string, then BAM, SLIDE FROM LEFT FIELD KNOCKING DOWN ALL THE CHILDRENS AND PENGUINS ON THE BASEBALL FIELDDD
Any more help, just ask ^_^

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
I'm Reptile player, but this is what I can say from what you've shown

Against mileena: You block too much, even when you get chances to start combos. You shouldn't use caltrops so far from the corner, because many of erron black's send the enemy flying. You spammed the slide for mobility, and against a character that can easily hit you with low projectiles.

Against Kano: you block too much and you use short combos instead of better, longer combos. You even tried one in the corner, but he used a breaker. You had many chances to start combos and to poke Kano. You even had good chances to grab him and make him feel unsafe about blocking.

Against Shinnok: you did a good job with the rolling sand grenades. You keep using that overhead/low combo to get low blocking players into the corner, and got punished for being predictable. Avoid losing oportunities to punish crouching opponents and whiffing attacks hoping they won't punish you before you can reach them, like you did in the 2nd round. Don't be bitch slapped by gods with spooky, scary, skeleton hands(11:55). You're not using the Tarkatan Stab to end your combos and you forgot you could chip out shinnok in the end of the third round.

Against D'vorah: you shouldn't stay blocking and crouching when d'vorah is tossing her insect thingy. You always try to send people to the corner instead of doing better, more damaging combos mid screen. Don't start combos with sand toss, it's extremely unsafe. Good wake up choice.

Now that I've listed the problems, here's what you did right: You are good at blocking overheads and lows. You are good at punishing crouching opponents with overhead combos. You baited them into blocking low so you could get your overhead combo. You judge well when it's good or bad to wake up with ex slide.

I even want to talk about combos, but because I'm not too familiar with Erron black, here's what I'd to you with my reptile. I'd hit you overhead with B2 everytime you started crouching like that. I would zone you with my acid spit, because you are always trying to get closer. If you used your slide to get closer to me, and if it didn't hit me, I'd punish as soon as you started blocking again. . I 'd use throws all the time as soon as I realized you are sometimes afraid to capitalize on the chances you get.

I hope I've helped you showing your flaws and poiting to what could be improved. I hope a good erron black will show you the best combos. All I can really say is that you should be using F1,2,df2 instead of F1,2,2. It's a ~10% damage difference, it's easy and it will keep the enemies close so you.

Last edited:

lDlDub

Noob
I'm Reptile player, but this is what I can say from what you've shown

Against mileena: You block too much, even when you get chances to start combos. You shouldn't use caltrops so far from the corner, because many of erron black's send the enemy flying. You spammed the slide for mobility, and against a character that can easily hit you with low projectiles.

Against Kano: you block too much and you use short combos instead of better, longer combos. You even tried one in the corner, but he used a breaker. You had many chances to start combos and to poke Kano. You even had good chances to grab him and make him feel unsafe about blocking.

Against Shinnok: you did a good job with the rolling sand grenades. You keep using that overhead/low combo to get low blocking players into the corner, and got punished for being predictable. Avoid losing oportunities to punish crouching opponents and whiffing attacks hoping they won't punish you before you can reach them, like you did in the 2nd round. Don't be bitch slapped by gods with spooky, scary, skeleton hands(11:55). You're not using the Tarkatan Stab to end your combos and you forgot you could chip out shinnok in the end of the third round.

Against D'vorah: you shouldn't stay blocking and crouching when d'vorah is tossing her insect thingy. You always try to send people to the corner instead of doing better, more damaging combos mid screen. Don't start combos with sand toss, it's extremely unsafe. Good wake up choice.

Now that I've listed the problems, here's what you did right: You are good at blocking overheads and lows. You are good at punishing crouching opponents with overhead combos. You baited them into blocking low so you could get your overhead combo. You judge well when it's good or bad to wake up with ex slide.

I even want to talk about combos, but because I'm not too familiar with Erron black, here's what I'd to you with my reptile. I'd hit you overhead with B2 everytime you started crouching like that. I would zone you with my acid spit, because you are always trying to get closer. If you used your slide to get closer to me, and if it didn't hit me, I'd punish as soon as you started blocking again. . I 'd use throws all the time as soon as I realized you are sometimes afraid to capitalize on the chances you get.

I hope I've helped you showing your flaws and poiting to what could be improved. I hope a good erron black will show you the best combos. All I can really say is that you should be using F1,2,df2 instead of F1,2,2. It's a ~10% damage difference, it's easy and it will keep the enemies close so you.
Awesome stuff man. I really appreciate the advice. Im really hesitant to punish because im not sure when I CAN punish. Is it just knowing other character.s moves and when a certain string ends or is there some sort of tell I can go off of?

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Well, there's the frame data. Some moves are negative on block, so if they hit you while you're blockign they'll enter a stagger state. Most of the time you can tell if a guy is staggered by the way he behaves when he hits you. Like when you blocked mileena's low ball. You saw she was just spinning, harmless, and you punched her. Some characters get stuck in the animation, some take like half a second to return to their original position. The best way to know if a attack is punishable is training with the character a bit, but you don't really have to remember much of what you see. Some characters, like erron black and kenshi take longer to attack (like 14 or 15 frames), and that makes some of your attacks that otherwise would be unsafe, safe(many erron black strings are -10 on block, so kenshi can't do much about you even if you forget your best, safest combo starters) . Some characters are extremely unsafe, like Mileena, Kotal Khan and so on. When you're fighting against them it's a pretty safe bet that the little animation they get stuck into is a good window to punish them. And because most players tend to use the same combos, it's easier to remember what is punishable and what is not. I still have a hard time punishing Scorpion and Jax because they seem so safe, but there are ways.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I'm a Kano main. He is very easy to beat if you get in on him. Well depending on the person using him but you do have to learn how to punish him. Kano has no true over head and depending on the variation's up ball would be the only wake up to worry about. One overall thing you did was you seemed to run out of gas. What i mean is you started your combos and a few you finished but there was no added pressure. No follow ups. Where's your grabs and pokes? Do this little by little on at a time all the while studying your game play and it will come together. You did fine in your matches but take as much advice from everyone too but you did fine IDIDub.

One lil tip though and it also goes as a reminder for me. Learn a little to a lot of other different characters. You don't have to master them but spending a day in the lab with a different one each day vastly improves for basics, skills, knowledge, dexterity and confidence.

Black is a very good character to learn. Your on your way with him so I think you did good asking questions and figuring out things by asking for help. You already got most of the basics. What you need to do now is execute it properly when the times are right and scale back and punish them when they make a mistake. Try to make them play YOUR game. YOUR play styles and to YOUR advantage. Frustrate them. If some one jumps in 2-3 times in 20 seconds of game time in 1 round then they'll do it the whole match. Punish them with a love tap at first them build your punishments up. Make them think twice. Then You go on the offensive but don't make the same mistakes as them. Be kool and stick with what you know. Draw them out to keep repeating the same mistakes your punishing them for. Get in their head. It's kinda difficult at first to learn because this is a mental thing I'm talking about but it's important to know this because when you do do this, Those hours and work you put in in the lab would naturally come out on its own when you can create the match ups in your favor and punish them with what you have practiced. Win. Lose. Go to the lab. Rinse and repeat. Build on what you've learned and ask for help.

This is how I was taught many moons ago with my brother and myself back in the days of arcades. Just throwing in my nickel of experience from when I had to learn. Mind you. MKX is a brand new game so you should feel proud you got this far on your own in only the 6 or so weeks this games been out.

Ask if you want any more questions. I'm on X1 too.
Good Luck.

lDlDub

Noob
Hmmm ok. I need to really start reading up on some stuff on that so I can really grasp the concept of it. Thanks for all your help BatHorse and VillanousMonk. This community is really awesome. I am pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Last edited:

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Awesome stuff man. I really appreciate the advice. Im really hesitant to punish because im not sure when I CAN punish. Is it just knowing other character.s moves and when a certain string ends or is there some sort of tell I can go off of?

there's 2 things you need to have in order to be succesful at fgs. frame data knowledge and critical thinking skills. everything else comes after that you can easily get down with practice but these 2 things are the foundation. knowing frame data means knowing when and what button to push.

now, i was halfway done writing a huge post about frame datae when i realized i could prob just find a video to explain so here's this:

Dwarfmp

Enthusiast
Why do you only use sand toss in the corner? You almost always use the same string, f132, it makes you very predictable, while Erron Black's has got some of the best 50/50s. You block a lot, you're not pressuring your opponent, so you're giving them chances and helping them build confidence. You do block well, and you can punish, you just don't use a full combo to do so. That 112 is I think a good punish, but you don't extend it, you can run and land another string on them.

As has been said above, you use low pokes to make your opponent block low, then do your overhead string, that's smart, so if you use sand toss with it, you will do a lot more damage (f13+sand toss). If you switch to the low string, b32u1, your opponent really has to guess.

But it just comes down to practice really, and building up your confidence.

ManBatHorse

Syzoth of the Devil Reef
Monk, your tips were really useful. I'll keep them in mind the next time I face Kano.

How to beat reptile:
He's got no true antiair, his combos are easy to drop if the player gets nervous and his damage is not so good. Don't jump too much when you're far from him, because he'll use his acid balls to launch you and start a combo. Jump when you're near and use attacks that are safe if he tries to uppercut. The jumping kick is usually good against him. Put him in the corner and block his reptilian dash move(the one he uses to switch sides). If you do, he might get a little desperate, and even if he starts a combo, he might just drop it. Erron Black is one of the best characters to keep someone in the corner, always use that to your advantage.

lDlDub

Noob
Why do you only use sand toss in the corner? You almost always use the same string, f132, it makes you very predictable, while Erron Black's has got some of the best 50/50s. You block a lot, you're not pressuring your opponent, so you're giving them chances and helping them build confidence. You do block well, and you can punish, you just don't use a full combo to do so. That 112 is I think a good punish, but you don't extend it, you can run and land another string on them.

As has been said above, you use low pokes to make your opponent block low, then do your overhead string, that's smart, so if you use sand toss with it, you will do a lot more damage (f13+sand toss). If you switch to the low string, b32u1, your opponent really has to guess.

But it just comes down to practice really, and building up your confidence.
Confidence is definitely something I lack. And the tip about running in after the 112 string is crucial. I guess I never realized you could do that but I think I could easily add that with some practice. Thank you sir