What's new

Need help with my PC

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So, my PC is ridiculously slow. When I'm on youtube, I can't have many tabs open because the vid will lag. I can barely watch streams at anything higher than 360p and only go fullscreen at 240p. If I load up one huge site like memebase then my PC freezes for about 2 mins till it can load the page.

My main interest is playing a game called Runescape. I used to play it as a kid 7 years ago but, as it gets updated, my PC can no longer run it. I choose the lowest settings and still have 9 fps tops, I click on something and watch as my click appears a second later and very slowly. My biggest problem is that when I see the requirements, it's pretty obvious to me that I should be able to run it on max settings flawlessly.

Here's the CanIrunIt analysis.

CPU SPEED - Minimum 1.5 GHz processor - You have 2.8 GHz

RAM - Minimum 256 MB - You have 1 GB

VIDEO CARD - Minimum NVIDIA GEFORCE 3 or equivalent - You have GEFORCE 6200

Minimum attributes of your video card

Pixel Shader version required 1.1 - You have 3.0

Vertex shader version same as above

Video RAM required 64mb - You have 649MB

Hardware T&L required: Yes - You have: Yes

So, what's the problem? What's the minimum budget to fix something like this? PC's really slow as hell. I'm also on Windows 7

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I am wondering if your hard drive is going. If it is, you will notice that EVERYTHING gets slow. It will take a long time to open things as well.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I am wondering if your hard drive is going. If it is, you will notice that EVERYTHING gets slow. It will take a long time to open things as well.
When I'm on campus, opening a page takes a second or so, in my normal pc I need to open it and wait 3-4 seconds for it to open, that's fast for my PC's standards

Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Your PC is fairly old. I'd suggest that you update your graphics card drivers. Since you have a low amount of RAM, you should try to shut down any programs that may take up RAM via the task manager. Despite that, Runescape is written in shitty Java which is not friendly to old hardware

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
Probably the reason for everything else, but ican't see why i wouldnt be able to run a game with so low requirements.
It could be more than one thing. Do you have any anti-virus? Is it an internet issue or does your computer lag when starting programs up too?

Sasuga

Noob
You should try closing/uninstalling as much as stuff as possible you don't need or go for a complete reinstall. Your PC should be fast enough to run it.

cpmd4

Slaughter is the Best Medicine
You should try closing/uninstalling as much as stuff as possible you don't need or go for a complete reinstall. Your PC should be fast enough to run it.
This. Your 1GB of RAM is a low amount if you have a lot of background stuff running. Lots of programs will run things in the background, even when you aren't using them. Uninstall everything you don't need and check your task manager to see if any programs are using up memory when you don't need them.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Is this a desktop or a laptop?

Your PC is fairly old. I'd suggest that you update your graphics card drivers. Since you have a low amount of RAM, you should try to shut down any programs that may take up RAM via the task manager. Despite that, Runescape is written in shitty Java which is not friendly to old hardware
It could be more than one thing. Do you have any anti-virus? Is it an internet issue or does your computer lag when starting programs up too?

It's a desktop with only the essentials, no downloaded games, no uneeded apps, just the bare minimums. It lags when starting up programs too. Only thing I see in the task manager is multiple chromes when I only have one open, they don't take up any space except the one that's open.

How would I go fixing this and how much is the minimum budget for doing so?

Sasuga

Noob
You should not need a new pc for a 7 year old game. Maybe you can try running it in compatibility mode. right click on the game executable and see the 'compatibility' tab. Playing around with the settings may improve the performance.

It's a desktop with only the essentials, no downloaded games, no uneeded apps, just the bare minimums. It lags when starting up programs too. Only thing I see in the task manager is multiple chromes when I only have one open, they don't take up any space except the one that's open.

How would I go fixing this and how much is the minimum budget for doing so?
Chrome always glitched in my laptop and did some weird things like the one you mention. You should better unistall it and try Firefox

And tbh, I don't think you should bother fixing it. Just open it up and clean off the dust, then format your PC. If the problem persists then you should buy a new one

Sasuga

Noob
What else you can try is making a dual boot. Reinstall it with windows XP, after that install windows 7. Then you can use both versions. Your game should run fine under Win XP. XP may be the better choice for your PC anyway.

It's a bit tricky to install windows XP after you have installed Win 7 but it's not impossible.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You should not need a new pc for a 7 year old game. Maybe you can try running it in compatibility mode. right click on the game executable and see the 'compatibility' tab. Playing around with the settings may improve the performance.
game has been updated plenty in terms of graphics, its also a browser game

Sasuga

Noob
Your PC has the bare minimum to run windows 7. You should look into upgrading your RAM if you don't want to do a reinstall. Memory is really cheap these days.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
You have to figure out what's wrong first. Do a virus scan, do a chkdsk, do a memtest, etc.
any free antiviruses?

one thing that happened 2 years back, my pc was still shit, technician came over and added a new motherboard and graphics card along with windows 7, game performance or performance in general did not improve.