What's new

Need help with homework on MK

Should I do a speech on MK frame data?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shamwow0w0w

Steam / Twitch: Apsasu
Hey guys I'm in a Comm 225 class at a community college and I have to give an informative speech on the 27th of this month. It has to be 5-7 minutes long.
My teacher told me I need to be more excited when I give speeches so I'm considering giving a speech on MK.
I was thinking on doing it on the math behind Mortal Kombat
Such as frame data
(I'm sitting in class while typing this up so I'm just trying to get the basic idea out, don't hold me to everything I say)

My basic outline would be
Intro- Talk about the gore in MK, all the blood and fatalities to 'pull the audience in'.

First 'paragraph'- explain how frames work. give an example of the difference between Quan Chi's U+3 and Sektor's 1. Explain the importance of D+3/D+4.

Second 'paragraph'- Talk about hit/block advantage works and how stuff like Cyrax's F+2 gives +11 which leads into a free block string

Closing- Blah Blah.

I would appreciate any and all input on this. If you guys think this would be worthy of atleast a B I will do it. If you think this would be an F speech then I'll just do it on terraforming Mars.... lol

What points do you think I could add, and I need atleast 2 sources. I asked my teacher if I could use a top player as a source and he said I could use one of my sources as one. Anyone know of any articles for frame data or the engine that Mortal Kombat uses?

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
You need to simplify it a lot. Saying things such as d3 will lose a lot of audience because they won't know what that means. I suggest you talk about fighting games having frame data in general. And then use Mk as a example. Say things like "remember as a kid when you mashes uppercut with ryu?, what if I told you there's actually very suffisticated math behind every single action you did. And go on explaining the basics of frames. You have to make sure to use examples that relates to a casual audience.

If you really want to do that, go for it. But I'd listen to Cat's advice and generalize it to be more broad. SF and MK are probably the most culturally recognizable fighting games to non-video game players.

Just be aware that unless you are the biggest fucking alpha male on earth, you are likely committing social suicide by doing this...

Cat

This guy looks kind of tuff...
It can be done. And i think it will be interesting topic to a lot of ppl who don't know how deep a fighting game can be played. I would end it with mentioning competitive tournaments for fighting games and that top players use this frame data info as well as other things like spacing and reading an opponent to succeed.

Ppl always say. Fighting games like street fighter can be played like checkers. But then can be taken to another level like chess.

It can be done. And i think it will be interesting topic to a lot of ppl who don't know how deep a fighting game can be played. I would end it with mentioning competitive tournaments for fighting games and that top players use this frame data info as well as other things like spacing and reading an opponent to succeed.

Ppl always say. Fighting games like street fighter can be played like checkers. But then can be taken to another level like chess.
Yeah, chess at lightspeed, maybe -_-

I wouldn't say social suicide, just to be to abrasive about it, my entire school knows all about my fighting game obsession, but I do just fine. I would say generalize heavily, throw in a lot on Frames per second and how they appear in all types of games, MK can be one of your examples.

London Lust

Lagleena Player
lol if I was in college and heard this speech I'd be like "ERR MAH GERD ANOTHER MK PLAYER!"

edit: Idk how people other normal people unlike myself would react to this though... :/

double edit: don't look at your friends during presentations, a lot of time they act likes idiots and try to make you laugh. lol and make sure to look at your audience, I always forget that.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Instead give it more of a focus on how Psychology and Mathematics play a role in fighting games. You can use MK as an example.

I've taken a speech class before and its important first and foremost that you read your speech OUT LOUD. It doesn't have to be to anyone but doing that will prevent sputtering on and what not.

CYracks

Command Grabber
Don't focus on the math part of it or you will lose your audience. I'd say since most everyone knows about the game Mortal Kombat focus on fatalities, gore, uppercuts, scorpion and sub-zero. Think about what the point of your speech is, is it to try and teach people to learn MK or like MK? an use slides/video projector? Try showing off MK on the big screen. Most people don't like MK because of how it plays. They like it because of the violence.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Don't focus on the math part of it or you will lose your audience. I'd say since most everyone knows about the game Mortal Kombat focus on fatalities, gore, uppercuts, scorpion and sub-zero. Think about what the point of your speech is, is it to try and teach people to learn MK or like MK? an use slides/video projector? Try showing off MK on the big screen. Most people don't like MK because of how it plays. They like it because of the violence.
The part of an informative speech is to inform. Keeping an audience entertained is important but be sure to utilize both aspects.

Visual aid would help GREATLY in this speech by showing off hype little moments and stuff but thats all up to how much room your instructor gives you to experiment with.

Shamwow0w0w

Thank you to everyone so far for your contributions.
I plan on simplifying it down verrrry much. I won't be talking about the numbers as much, but more of what the purpose of those numbers are.
For my visual aid I was planning on using a video of Kung Lao's fatality to pull the audience in, and maybe make a 15 second video of some frame traps and then take a minute to explain why Sub Zero wasn't able to jump out of Cyrax's forward lunging attack of death (F+2). The outline I wrote in the original post was my first attempt at writing it out and it was done on the go.

For the social suicide post - the professor plays World of Warcraft and makes everyone stand up and shout out tongue twisters. Their isn't much cool points I can lose at this point.

What points do you guys think I should cover in the speech?

Shamwow0w0w

Just thought I would let you guys know. I did my speech today... As soon as I got up there with my little Mortal Kombat pictures I realized not one person in that class gives a single fuck about MK... Killed my confidence and I froze lmaooo. But on the bright side I told them I'm hosting my first tournament (in AZ) and a couple of them seemed interested in coming.

Just thought I would let you guys know. I did my speech today... As soon as I got up there with my little Mortal Kombat pictures I realized not one person in that class gives a single fuck about MK... Killed my confidence and I froze lmaooo. But on the bright side I told them I'm hosting my first tournament (in AZ) and a couple of them seemed interested in coming.
You tried your best, dude. You fought your homework with honor! How good was your grade score?

Too bad I live very far from Arizona.

Damn, sucks that i just found this thread. i could have helped you so much with this :/
I've been in public address/debate for 8 years and from personal experience i can say that it is possible to get 100% on literally any topic in any speech class. I once bullshitted a speech to someone who wrote their masters dissertation on the topic i was speaking on and got them to buy into everything i said. lol, the power of rhetoric.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
Well did you present video or just photos? Also, it goes to show that even if "everyone" knows about something mainstream, no one really does. Every person in one of my classes was highly decorated and just overall and above average student/person. They get to me "well not to be outdone by class presidents and super volunteer's, I uhhhh...play starcraft." Thats literally what happened to me.

Shamwow0w0w

Dang DJ L Toro I wish I would have known that. I might do another speech on Mortal Kombat if the opportunity presents itself, if so I will definitely come to you first.

Killphill, I didn't have a video. I had cards of characters that are about 9 inches tall.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
1. I would start with the facts and the statistics. ~ This will give the speech weight. (1 minute.)
- Mortal Kombat is the world's most famous fighting game, one that changed the gaming industry forever with the blood and gore so much that there needed to be censorship and basically it was the game that brought along the game age rating thinger.
- Mortal Kombat had 9 episodes plus specials a total of X games in 20 years. All of them best selling titles.
2. I would follow with explaining how the game works. (2 minutes.)
- Two players facing off in a combat stage with unique characters which all have their own special moves, kicks and punches.
- Terminology as in blocking means defending, there is a left punch, right punch, left kick, right kick and there used to be a run button.
3. All about frame data (4 minutes)
- What frames (execution frames, active frames, startup frames, recovery frames, invincibility), hitbox, hurtbox mean.
- Anything else about frames you wanted to say.
3+1 Conclude the speech by why this is important to you and what your goal with mk is whether you want to win a tourney or just play for fun with your friends at home.

Shamwow0w0w

1. I would start with the facts and the statistics. ~ This will give the speech weight. (1 minute.)
- Mortal Kombat is the world's most famous fighting game, one that changed the gaming industry forever with the blood and gore so much that there needed to be censorship and basically it was the game that brought along the game age rating thinger.
- Mortal Kombat had 9 episodes plus specials a total of X games in 20 years. All of them best selling titles.
2. I would follow with explaining how the game works. (2 minutes.)
- Two players facing off in a combat stage with unique characters which all have their own special moves, kicks and punches.
- Terminology as in blocking means defending, there is a left punch, right punch, left kick, right kick and there used to be a run button.
3. All about frame data (4 minutes)
- What frames (execution frames, active frames, startup frames, recovery frames, invincibility), hitbox, hurtbox mean.
- Anything else about frames you wanted to say.
3+1 Conclude the speech by why this is important to you and what your goal with mk is whether you want to win a tourney or just play for fun with your friends at home.
I am going to relate all my speeches to MK if I have the opportunity to so I will definitely use this thread for future assignments as well.
Thanks a lot.