What's new

Need Character Help! :)

NHDR

Noob
So I know threads like these may be hated but I'm uncertain of what else to do. I'm a Street Fighter player looking to finally give MK9 a legitimate chance. I think its a great game. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the characters.

I've spent some time wandering the character forums looking for ideas but I figured I'd ask here for some input. I need a character to play. I'm thinking of either an extreme zoner or a close-range defensive character. I would also like a character who can I learn the basics of very quickly and whose execution is not too hard.

My choices so far: Freddy, Kenshi, Cage, Kabal, and Jax.

I'd like to learn Cyrax since I've always liked the character (since MK3) but he seems to have a very unique play style?? Anyway, thanks for all your help in advance!

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Why would these threads be hated?

Those are all solid choices, with Kabal being the hardest to pick up due to execution. Kenshi has the advantage of armor and safety, Freddy has frame traps at full screen, Cage has frame traps up close and arguably the best pressure too.

EDIT: I agree with Compbros, Kenshi's the best pick. No bad MUs and he rapes half the cast

NHDR

Noob
Does Jax have easy execution? He seems like a badass character to master. I bought the game on release, played it for about 20 hours, and then shelved it 'til now. So I've fiddled around with most of the cast to some degree.

I would also like a character who can I learn the basics of very quickly and whose execution is not too hard.
Sounds like a job for Liu Kang! He is your one-stop-shop for learning the fundamentals of the game, in one character. With him, you can learn: Rushdown (aggressive and defensive), zoning, anti-airs, armor-escaping, spacing, footsies, and instant-air projectiles! His execution is also relatively easy...except for those instant-air Fireballs, but they are for when you get yourself fully comfortable.

And why would threads like these be hated? I haven't heard of such around here.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
If you want the best character to learn the game with, it's Liu Kang IMO.

If you decide to choose some high execution characters as your first one, like Kabal or Skarlet, you'll be focused more on learning Kabal then actually learning the game.

But, to be honest you can go with anyone you want. All those chars you listed are good.

NHDR

Noob
Thanks all! These types of threads are hated over at SRK, hence why I assumed that might be the case here as well. I'm going to try Kenshi with Jax as a back-up. Might also flirt with Liu Kang.

Time to go buy that DLC!

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Thanks all! These types of threads are hated over at SRK, hence why I assumed that might be the case here as well. I'm going to try Kenshi with Jax as a back-up. Might also flirt with Liu Kang.

Time to go buy that DLC!

Well we're not SRK, we're TYM where we're better.....and somehow worse lol.

NHDR

Noob
Sorry for the bump but I'm curious: does Cyrax require high execution? My execution is decent but I really prefer simple characters. Thanks.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
Sorry for the bump but I'm curious: does Cyrax require high execution? My execution is decent but I really prefer simple characters. Thanks.
Depends.... his reset is easy as hell to land and he has great footsies.... he is easy to get lazy with though.... the best character for you to learn the game would undoubtedly be Liu Kang, the best character to use is Kabal...period, (IMO) the best zoner (excluding Kabroken) and an easy choice to pick up and win with would be Kenshi. Cage is (IMO) the best character to learn footsies with, Freddy is a great character to learn how to space properly and a great zoner, Jax is....the best way for you to rage at low hitbox characters

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
Cyrax is a bit of a complex character, but I agree with learning Kang to better understand the mechanics. My suggestion to you is to just play with every charcter a bit and find which one fits you, such as in my case I picked Mileena, Freddy, and Smoke one day and bam I instantly grasped them. A good way to learn the mechanics in this game not only to play through the story mode, but the challenge tower as well, these two modes will force you to learn and understand each and every character in the game, with the exception of the 4 DLC ones, which aren't to hard to understand anyway.

Never be scared to bump a thread especially your own. Also people here are generally way nicer than SRK so don't be scared of asking adumb question or aanything like that. Everyone is here to help and level up together, especially at the beginner level. No need to be apologetic, we're all here for the same reason :)