What's new

Match-up Discussion Need advice on some Sonya MU's

redeyes

Button Masher
Edit:

As i plan on going to NEC i want to have as many match ups covered as i can going in.
now my practice will be online but that doesn't matter much its still practice.

What i need from you guys is help on a few certain match ups. weather it be from a player who plays who im having a bad time against or from other sonya players. i just need advice.

So as of right now i feel lacking in these MUs:

Liu Kang (sorta)
Kitana
Cyrax
Noob
Smoke
sektor
Shang
Skarlet

advice at all would be greatly appricted. just tips on how to over come these MUs or where there characters lack so that i can take advantage of them.

in b4
oh just d4 MS....

thanks guys <3

Reptile is a fairly good matchup for sonya, you can divekick forceballs on the instant that reptile tries to do them. Also, when reptile is full screen and is going to dash and jump immediately, njp or kiss and go into a combo. The only thing for kabal that I have found to help is when you are full screen and he is iagb'ing the shit out of you, use ms forward 1 into cartwheel or ex cartwheel or if you are feeling frisky, ms forward 1 into kiss. Hope this kinda helps brotha.

Sent from my PC36100

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I have a feeling I'll need to review the Liu Kang match-up thoroughly, it's kicking my butt as of late (fuck you MyGod and MIT).

Not really sure on Skarlet, either. But I do know about the other match-ups you've designed and may have a few pointers.

Kitana - d4 beats Kitana's Wake-Up game as long as you do not cancel into either a cartwheel or Military Stance. If you do so, you're bound to be caught by a Fan Cutter, or worse, a Fan Lift which leads to a combo. Play this match very lame by getting the life lead and forcing Kitana to come to you. You'll have difficulty cornering her thanks to that Square Wave Dash, since Sonya doesn't really have an answer to that if Kitana uses it at the right distance.

Smoke - this match-up is dangerous. One combo started by anything, be it an anti-air or Smoke Bomb, will lead to the risk of eating resets and losing nearly 80% of your health. Smoke Bombs don't take any chip on block unless enhanced, so just approach carefully...and don't jump to do that. Smoke can punish a jump with his teleport punch from anywhere on the screen. Also, don't bother with projectiles, his Shake beats them and his Smoke Bomb can make the trades in his favor. Once you are up in his face, have fun abusing Military Stance mix-ups, but do be careful of that EX Shake if he has meter.

Cyrax - it's a bit of a similar situation with Smoke. Be wary of using projectiles as one poor trade results in you eating a net followed by resets that take over half your life bar. Keep that EX Cartwheel on hand for if he tries to pressure you, as he's got great rushdown and command grab mix-ups.

Noob Saibot - this match-up can be hard if you're too overwhelmed by his shadow mix-ups. Dash-block in and fuzzy-guard. Only trade with projectiles if you have the life lead. If you get corner control, make sure your positions don't switch or Noob will murder you there. He doesn't have armor, so he has poor options when you're up in his face. Don't bother using d4 to approach unless you are at just the right distance from him, as he can punish whiffed d4s with a shadow every time.

Sektor - eh, I'm not much of an expert on this one, but I don't really see Sektor being a threat to Sonya unless the player is intelligent. Perhaps IKizzLE can chime in since he's played me.

Any more questions, ask and I'll try to clarify.

Justice

Noob
I can help a little with some of these :D

Skarlet: STAY GROUNDED! Most of her shenanigans can be blocked low and D4 will make her tele whiff over you. After that it's the usual shenanigans while keeping an eye out for Tele and Dash Uppercut.

Smoke: I'll tell you what every Smoke player has told me: WATCH YOUR FEET! Like Blake said, one Smoke Bomb can lead into very painful resets.

Cyrax: Spacing is imprtant here. Watch your feet for bombs. This is one matcup where Sonya almost wants to zone since the recovery on rings is fast enough that Cyrax struggles with them. Stay away and zone while watching for nets and bombs. Always be ready to punish a tele as well.

Shang Tsung: If you're not in close, try to stand inbetween upskulls. Not easy but doable. Once you're in, shut him down with cancels and shenangigans. :exKartwheel will be your friend here.

All I can say for the rest is stay grounded and force them to come to you.

Not much help I know but I hope it helps some :D