What's new

Need a little TYM community advice

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
My PS3 finally bit the dust (original model) and I need to replace it but my friends here where I live keep telling me I should just buy an xbox instead. The MK scene in my area has been dead for years with no sign of life ever coming back so I don't get alot of chances to play off-line matches. I don't know that much about the 360 or XBL but I'm told the online is better on the 360. Does it matter at this point which system I choose or is one really better than the other for certain things. When my PS3 was working I noticed there is a lack of good competition on the PS3 is that also a problem on the 360?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I've been wondering if the comp is any better on 360 myself. The reality of the matter though is that you're probably not going to get more than 2-3 years (god I hope not) out of the correct gen systems because at this point they're so ridiculously behind hardware wise. The PS3 slim 160gb is $250 at the moment and you're still getting a blu-ray player, free online and netflix out of it...you'll have a use for the thing once next gen hits.

I just personally could not validate buying a 360 if my PS3 were to break tomorrow this late in the current gen.

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
i still never have problems findin people to play on x box just throwin it out there

GNG Iniquity

i still never have problems findin people to play on x box just throwin it out there
I don't think it's a matter of finding people to play, there's people to play on PS3, there's just not a whole lot of good people to play. You really have to seek them out. Not that I'm trying to sound like an elitist dickwad but I'm not getting any MU experience playing against inexperienced Scorpions who can't even manage the vortex. That's not asking too much.

fr stack

I don't think it's a matter of finding people to play, there's people to play on PS3, there's just not a whole lot of good people to play. You really have to seek them out. Not that I'm trying to sound like an elitist dickwad but I'm not getting any MU experience playing against inexperienced Scorpions who can't even manage the vortex. That's not asking too much.
yeah i hear ya at least on x box i have de option to play eu , u.s or anywhere in betweeen

GNG Iniquity

yeah i hear ya at least on x box i have de option to play eu , u.s or anywhere in betweeen
Canada is as far as I want to play, personally, that's a lot of distance to Europe. Really wish South America would l2bandwith; there's a lot of good players in that region but my god...their internet sucks ass over there.

fr stack

i kinda struck it lucky wit mk online i live in ireland so i can play nearly lagless games wit americans europeans etc for some reason my connect sucks against canadians tho:(

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
The online is all I'm really concerned about cause PSN is not that great and if XBL is better then I'm getting a 360. I paid to be a Plus member on PSN hoping it would make the online more stable but nope not happening. Since I have to play MK online at the moment I want to play on the more stable platform for online.

fr stack

your in the netherlands right ?? excellent connection for xbl over there every dutch person ive played has had a flawless connect

The Xbox 360 competition is fine. Youll find alot of good players in ranked, but go with what you like man. Do you have more games for the ps3, controllers, etc. PS3 is more expensive too. The 360 is laggy, but if you 1v1 private matches it is usually fine. It honestly just depends.

GNG Iniquity

PS3 is more expensive too.
PS3's $250 now for a 160bg slim. The 4gb Slim 360 (which won't run certain games due to the tiny flash HD) is $200. $50 difference for a substantially larger HD, blu-ray player, free online and a stock controller that's actually good for FGs. You're spending $250 buying a 4gb 360 paying for a year of live anyways.
I paid to be a Plus member on PSN hoping it would make the online more stable but nope not happening. Since I have to play MK online at the moment I want to play on the more stable platform for online.
That has no effect on your connection, but do me a favor and go to www.speedtest.net and tell me your DL/UL speeds. The netcode is no better for 360, if you've got a bad connection, you've got a bad connection.

GNG Iniquity

That's not too bad, man. Your games should be relatively smooth enough, the only snag I can think of is that you're playing people with really bad connections. I've got a 27mbs/5mbs connection and even I find unplayable games - unfortunately MK9's netcode is very dependent on both connections. I've played people in Canada and it's been smoother than people in my own state, the people in Canada had a substantially better connection though.

Ultimately, it's your decision between the two consoles! 360 has some benefits to it, but you're going to be spending more money and probably selling it once next gen comes along since it'll really have no use in the next 2-3 years.

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
That's not too bad, man. Your games should be relatively smooth enough, the only snag I can think of is that you're playing people with really bad connections. I've got a 27mbs/5mbs connection and even I find unplayable games - unfortunately MK9's netcode is very dependent on both connections. I've played people in Canada and it's been smoother than people in my own state, the people in Canada had a substantially better connection though.

Ultimately, it's your decision between the two consoles! 360 has some benefits to it, but you're going to be spending more money and probably selling it once next gen comes along since it'll really have no use in the next 2-3 years.
I normally have pretty good connection during matches my problem was the constant signing me out of PSN but it would do it in a fashion that made me have to restart my ps3 everytime and sign back in. I'm not even interested in the next gen consoles cause I don't believe we're done with the ones we have now and if I buy a next gen system it will be because MK 10 gets announced for it.

same thing happened to me, my ps3 randomly decided it was time to stop reading games. :(

anyway, i liked MK on 360 (the 2 days i played it) only because of all the hatemail i would get lol, but i prefer PS3 anyway so that's a bias statement. you can always try putting your console into your router's DMZ to speed up all online play in general. flip a coin for it? just keep in mind you're going to need to either adjust to the basic 360 dpad or get a 4-directional one. not to mention either paying for online completely or for extras on top of your already free online.

GNG Iniquity

I normally have pretty good connection during matches my problem was the constant signing me out of PSN but it would do it in a fashion that made me have to restart my ps3 everytime and sign back in. I'm not even interested in the next gen consoles cause I don't believe we're done with the ones we have now and if I buy a next gen system it will be because MK 10 gets announced for it.
The constant signing out is weird, I've never had that problem and I use mine really actively between games and netflix/hulu. I haven't heard of that happening honestly. Have you been using wifi for your PS3?

when your ps3 would randomly sign you out would your (for example) laptop connection drop as well? or was it only your ps3?

if it's the latter then it could've been a hardware issue or something with your network settings, if not it was almost definitely your router. did you ever try changing the DNS settings or anything (on your ps3)?

Sasarix

"Heaven Will Fall!"
when your ps3 would randomly sign you out would your (for example) laptop connection drop as well? or was it only your ps3?

if it's the latter then it could've been a hardware issue or something with your network settings, if not it was almost definitely your router. did you ever try changing the DNS settings or anything (on your ps3)?
It never affected my laptop just the ps3 and when i called about it Sony blamed my ISP and then my isp blamed sony so i was like whatever. I think it had something to do with my PS3 cause like I said it was the og model and it had seen its share of play. I'm not a fan of wireless so i never use it for gaming. I really believe it was the PS3 slowly creeping to its death.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room

135ms ping is very bad right?any way to fix it other than signing with another company?