What's new

My Tournament Debut

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
So I went to my first offline tournament...

The tournament was a small one held in Helsinki, Finland. I registered online for Injustice over a month ago, after two weeks of them not putting my name to the participants list I sent them another e-mail asking why the haven't added my name to the list. I got a reply saying they missed my message and that they will now add it to the list. Another 1,5 weeks passes, still no name in the list. They had added a bunch of new names to the list but mine wasn't one of them so I sent them another e-mail, they said that they forgot. At this point I was already really pretty pissed off at the whole thing.

Fast forward to the start of the tournament.
Friday I got to play about 3 hours of Injustice casuals with a guy who I would later play in the tournament, we played a ton of Batman mirrors and I think I accidentally taught him some new tech. After the 3 hours when I came back to the PS3 that Injustice casuals were on it had been captured by DoA players. No Injustice casuals for the rest of the day. Spent my time watching my friend play Marvel for about 6 hours before heading to bed.

Saturday I watched Marvel being played for about 9 hours in a row, my head was about to explode I swear. Some guy practicing Zero's lightning loop for over 30 mins had me going nuts. Pools for pretty much every game started, no Injustice though due to the low number of players. The Injustice tournament wasn't even on the schedule. They told us that it would be played "when it was OK for the players". The schedule for pools was about 5 hours late, on Sunday however one of the staff members told me that they only had 2 guys running the pools and 2 guys extra who were also really busy with things, so it's understandable. The Injustice tournament was ran... off-stage... in a corner... at 10PM.
The tournament starts, TOs know nothing about the game and they're asking me if the tournament rules are good. I get to grand finals against the guy I played casuals with on Friday and for some reason I feel like picking Superman. I get bodied by his Aquaman and I then go to Wonder Woman, I beat his Aquaman. He then switches to Batgirl, I beat him pretty convincingly in that match. Next he goes to Batman, beats me in two matches and resets the bracket. I take a deep breath and proceed to 3-0 his Batman in the second set and win the tournament. I get my money and head to bed. Ggs to everyone who were there, it was nice meeting you.

Sunday was finals day (except for Injustice of course). That's all there was pretty much to it. Finals ran two hours behind schedule, but it's understandable.

I left the place with mixed feelings. I hated that there was no Injustice casuals for most of the time, only got to play for about 4 hours overall. I was about to have a seizure from watching all the Marvel. Honestly, watching and playing in the Injustice tournament was the only bit of fun I had there and that only lasted for about an hour or so. Not sure if the trip was worth it. I did make my gas money back and a little bit of extra from the tournament however. If there were more players for Injustice it might have been worth it but as it is, it was a frustrating mess.
Thanks for reading.

tl;dr - I went to my first tournament, I won Injustice, but I didn't enjoy my time there.

I highly encourage traveling with your own set up for major tournaments. If you're not blessed with an awesome girlfriend with amazing packing skills and a super durable suit case I'd suggest this

http://www.amazon.com/G155-Gaming-Entertainment-Mobile-included-Playstation-3/dp/B004XGN8W4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375130140&sr=8-1&keywords=gaems+g155

or

http://www.amazon.com/Vanguard-Personal-Environment-included-Playstation-3/dp/B00BEPFDM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375130222&sr=8-1&keywords=gaems+g190

That lets you either bring it down to set up and run casuals/money matches or set it up in your room and invite people back to your room that are worth playing.

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
I highly encourage traveling with your own set up for major tournaments. If you're not blessed with an awesome girlfriend with amazing packing skills and a super durable suit case I'd suggest this

That lets you either bring it down to set up and run casuals/money matches or set it up in your room and invite people back to your room that are worth playing.
I slept in the venue, couldn't afford a hotel room. It was my first tournament so I wasn't familiar with how things work.

Congrats man! In my experiences not many people can run local tournaments all that well
Thank you. :)

Crathen

Death is my business
Looks like it's all about that MAHVEL in finland lol , i'd call them out being free at Injustass #Kappa really tho , most mahvelheads dig that hypecallouts

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
Looks like it's all about that MAHVEL in finland lol , i'd call them out being free at Injustass #Kappa really tho , most mahvelheads dig that hypecallouts
Not really, Marvel had the 3rd lowest number of players. AE had the highest player number and a close second was Tekken Tag 2. It was just that my friend was playing Marvel so I stuck around there.

Crathen

Death is my business
Not really, Marvel had the 3rd lowest number of players. AE had the highest player number and a close second was Tekken Tag 2. It was just that my friend was playing Marvel so I stuck around there.
Then it's like the rest of EU AE > TTT2 > the rest , ya should have watched Tekken ;) way more entertaining to watch (imho).

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
Finland has a fighting game tournament? damn, seems like my country is a shitty place :(.
Yeah there is a really small scene here. Where are you from?

Then it's like the rest of EU AE > TTT2 > the rest , ya should have watched Tekken ;) way more entertaining to watch (imho).
I don't understand Tekken at all, I've only player Tekken 3 way back in the day for like 3 matches lol. At least watching Marvel I had some kind of clue what was happening.

Minh Giang

aka ChrsitianDMG on Stream
I''m from Vietnam, fighting games community in my country is garbage :p. I visited a SF Tounament 4 days ago, only 10 people competed lol. Tekken Tournament in here had only 32 players. I head MK/Injustice Community and really support it but the community itself sucks, only few people care about hardcore/competitve scene, other are just bunch of casual players who play for fatality and can't even beat Shao Kahn (Easy Mode) lol. Fighting games is nothing in my country :(.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink

I don't understand Tekken at all, I've only player Tekken 3 way back in the day for like 3 matches lol. At least watching Marvel I had some kind of clue what was happening.
wait, you dont understand tekken but you understand mahvel?? im hella confused now lol

AeroGrunt

Stay Puft
wait, you dont understand tekken but you understand mahvel?? im hella confused now lol
I've played Tekken for like 3 matches in my whole life lol. I've played some Marvel and its 2D so there's more of the same stuff as Street Fighter so it's easy to understand for me.