What's new

General/Other My Time With Sub-Zero

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I believe you get 26% with 22 freeze... and to me that's a lot easier to land on a blocked teleport. You may only have one chance to punish a teleport in a match b/c most smoke's aren't dumb enough to throw random teleports out. So I like to take the guaranteed damage.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Isn't Kabal's zoning worse than Kitana's? I mean, Kabal rapes Kitana with his zoning, so I assumed it's even worse for Sub-Zero.

As for the Kenshi matchup, it's honestly easier said than done getting in on a really good Kenshi. And if he has Armor, cross-ups aren't guaranteed to work. I just based this on watching Pig of the Hut beat LionHeart. That looked painful.

And lastly, the Smoke vs. Sub-Zero matchup. Eh, this one I'm iffy about. Might be 5-5. But from my experience, I def think it's in Smoke's favor. He beats every single thing Sub-Zero does. Just on my battles, I'd say 6-4 or 5.5-4.5.
Kabal SZ isnt that bad, they cant just spam fireballs, untechable knockdown on slides is useful.

I'd rather play SZ or Baraka against a Kabal than some1 like Cage

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I dunno how I forgot that Sub can trap Kabal in the corner unlike with Kitana. Hell, if he iAGBs, he's basically dragging himself to the corner. Yeah, probably 5-5. Though Kabal may still have a very slight advantage.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
How do you get past all his stupid projectiles? I hate fighting Kabal.

I just always try to trade with ice ball. Harder than you think.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
How do you get past all his stupid projectiles? I hate fighting Kabal.

I just always try to trade with ice ball. Harder than you think.
Don't try to time trades. You put the iceball on the screen as a way to check Kabal. If he does anything other than iagb's (which you can dash and then crouch block beneath), he will get caught by the iceball but you don't throw out lots of iceballs per round in this matchup, anyway.

In general, the iceball is not in your arsenal for timing trades, it's there to occupy space on the screen.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Don't try to time trades. You put the iceball on the screen as a way to check Kabal. If he does anything other than iagb's (which you can dash and then crouch block beneath), he will get caught by the iceball but you don't throw out lots of iceballs per round in this matchup, anyway.

In general, the iceball is not in your arsenal for timing trades, it's there to occupy space on the screen.
well, damn... I try to trade iceball with everyone! lmao

So, if you can't trade iceball with him... what do you do? I can't dash block for shit. And with two different projectiles... it's just. ugh.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
well, damn... I try to trade iceball with everyone! lmao

So, if you can't trade iceball with him... what do you do? I can't dash block for shit. And with two different projectiles... it's just. ugh.
Establish the ground rules in your mind before playing him. When you're at fullscreen, your only concern is getting closer to him, do not throw iceballs from this distance as Kabal can easily react to an iceball with ex nomad dash and even if he doesn't, you're giving him free damage and meter off his projectiles because you'll never land a naked freeze in this way. The way you will win against Kabal is by methodically cutting the screen size down by dashing and low blocking potential saws which also means you avoid gas blasts and random nomad dashes. When you're at around half screen distance you have the option of throwing an iceball (which is difficult to react to with the ex nomad dash at this range), cloning, sliding, or jumping a buzzsaw, it depends entirely on the player you're against. Kabal will corner himself eventually if he opts to keep fireball spamming. Stalk him down like the cold ninja Sub is.

Sub plays this matchup around knockdowns so get your slide knockdowns either in open play or at the end of combos and make Kabal guess on his wakeup. If you jump the buzzsaw, you get a free combo. If you block the nomad dash, free combo, etc, etc. Once he's cornered, you want to keep knocking him down, as well, because he'll eventually try and blow up the ice clone with ex nomad dash. Bait it out and keep punishing.

its funny that you said D4 is underrated. Obviously you are new to the sub forum, that move is one of the best pokes in the fucking game. 8 frames down 4 is underrated? GTFO da here man lol.
I WANT IT

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
GUYS GUYS GUYS can we PLEASE keep this in the match up discussion?

Z-911-Z I don't understand the point of this thread? You're posting about online ranked competition which is pretty much a joke. I'm not trying to be a thread nazi by closing all these threads all the time but the Sub forum is quite the laughing stock.

A new thread should be posted if you have found something that you want to share, have a SPECIFIC question, or something along those lines. Character forums are for help with the character, not a personal blog. This can easily be put in the general discussion thread, there's a reason why they're stickied. USE THEM.

THANK YOU.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
GUYS GUYS GUYS can we PLEASE keep this in the match up discussion?

Z-911-Z I don't understand the point of this thread? You're posting about online ranked competition which is pretty much a joke. I'm not trying to be a thread nazi by closing all these threads all the time but the Sub forum is quite the laughing stock.

A new thread should be posted if you have found something that you want to share, have a SPECIFIC question, or something along those lines. Character forums are for help with the character, not a personal blog. This can easily be put in the general discussion thread, there's a reason why they're stickied. USE THEM.

THANK YOU.
I mostly made it as a way to experiment since I kept hearing about everyone saying he's so bottom tier, but if you believe the thread isn't productive then go ahead. I kinda figured it'd be something fun to do.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
its funny that you said D4 is underrated. Obviously you are new to the sub forum, that move is one of the best pokes in the fucking game. 8 frames down 4 is underrated? GTFO da here man lol.
I WANT IT
stfu. I want your lower (small) hit box.

It is retarded and its a get out of the jail card, but its not a free get out of the jail, she will eat a slide.

Which if I was a Kitana player I'd rather eat Slides than stay in the corner against Sub, right?

stfu. I want your lower (small) hit box.
Which if I was a Kitana player I'd rather eat Slides than stay in the corner against Sub, right?
LOOL what are you talking about, I think sub zero should have twice the hit box he has right now for that ice clone to be useful

ChuckFiasco

"I'm the 12th best Sub-Zero player in the world."
When a person gets their ass whooped by SZ their like "Damn bro...I just got pwned...".

Fatality_check

Never Gonna Give
Absolutely, disrespect Smoke's d1 at the end of the string and mash out 22 because the whole point of Smoke doing d1 at the end of the string is to establish a mindgame for mixing you up later with other blockstrings, throws or crossups. Also, do not be afraid to njp Smoke if he's staggering his strings and crossing you up. I used to lose badly to Smoke by respecting his offense too much, now I make him d1 me at the end of the 3d12 string.

For blocked telepunch, either do 212, freeze as he's landing or b12214, slide (do it early in the ball animation) for 29%
I was having a hard time against Smoke the other day. Just literally smoking away constantly, but I think i'm being and idiot and not considering life lead...rather, i'm just trying to chase him.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I was having a hard time against Smoke the other day. Just literally smoking away constantly, but I think i'm being and idiot and not considering life lead...rather, i'm just trying to chase him.
haha, welcome to the club man!

I swear, I play so stupidly. What? You mean I haz the life lead? RUSHDOWN TIME! ... wait... what? lmao

Faded Dreams V

Always remember that Smoke Away = approaching the corner a lot more quickly. That's exactly where Sub-Zero wants him. Also, NEVER EVER throw an ice ball from mid or full screen. Like, ever.

Fatality_check

Never Gonna Give
Always remember that Smoke Away = approaching the corner a lot more quickly. That's exactly where Sub-Zero wants him. Also, NEVER EVER throw an ice ball from mid or full screen. Like, ever.
Yeah, I usually slide to catch up but he's always too far away. When I do finally get there I don't know if he's going to smoke, jump, wiff teleport. Kinda hard to keep cornered. More practice I think.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Yeah the Smoke match is all about waiting him out and turtling from what I've played, his smoke aways will at some point just get him into the corner and he'll have to eventually try to fight you like a man anyway. Sub-Zero and patience are pretty much synonyms at this point for me.

But I like it, it's a welcome change from my Jax "IN YO FACE B****" Briggs and Cyblax.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
That isn't actually true, you can throw the iceball at Smoke occassionally, albeit very occassionally.

Faded Dreams V

Yeah, I usually slide to catch up but he's always too far away. When I do finally get there I don't know if he's going to smoke, jump, wiff teleport. Kinda hard to keep cornered. More practice I think.
Only slide if he jumps backward, or if he uses Smoke Away while close to you. Don't become impatient. Teleport whiffs can easily be punished with 22 or 2 1 4. If he jumps, ice clone. And if he Smoke Towards, you can punish this too. You just have to anticipate it.

That isn't actually true, you can throw the iceball at Smoke occassionally, albeit very occassionally.
If you throw an iceball from a long distance, you're f'd. They're slow, and Shake isn't the issue. Telepunch is--Sub-Zero's recovery after throwing an ice ball is awful. One telepunch, and Smoke is in. I dunno about other Smokes, but when I play Sub-Zero, that projectile is the #1 thing I look out for because it makes my life easier (next to slides, which a good Sub-Zero will only do on reaction).