What's new

My thoughts and opinions on reptile. + sonya matchup help

WayoftheFist

Cold day in hell...
I need to just play Kenshi like everybody else. I think the opponent simply hovering over Kenshi after someone's selected Sub Zero is enough of a psychological factor to make them quickly de-select the character and play someone else lol. Whaddya think WayoftheFist ?
Hide that cursor if you play Sub and make sure they have to consider you having a Kung Lao or a Kabal backup. The Kenshi players just get it too easy if they know you're Sub Zero. Kenshi is the #1 reason I've dropped Sub for tournament play because to a good Kenshi player that's almost a free win. Kenshi can eat shit, I would rather fight Kabal. The matchup is so bad I don't even consider it a loss for me personally since it's like pulling out a .357 to deal with a tank.

Yeah, I play that MU pretty regularly. God is it boring. Rivals Sub mirrors and the JC vs SZ MU. SZ is just a boring dude, I don't get why people enjoy playing him. I mean, if he hit hard like Ermac, okay...but he hits like a damn tricycle.
I play him because I've always played him. There's also just nothing like when you finally corner some annoying character and you know they're done. You know they're pissed off but what can they do? Die slower, or die faster. And that is why it's fun. Laming people out is fun too. You can see the frustration. You know they want to smash their controller, or choke you, or scream obscenities at the top of their lungs but nope.... all they can do is watch the clock tick down.

Seapeople

This one's for you
I still don't hate Kenshi enough to counterpick him (as Sub Zero). Kenshi is manageable. The Kabal matchup is 100 times more difficult imho. But I'm getting off topic here lol.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
reptile top five? nah he has way too many bad matchups
sonya
liu kang
kung lao
sub zero
cyber sub
freddy
mileena
kano

some are debatable but this is my opinion

others that could posssibly be bad are jax and jc
I can say I don't really have much kano/kang MU experience but I don't agree with cyber sub, sub or freddy. I Don't see what kano has that would make it in his favor against reptile also. Also KL could be even or maybe a slight advantage to KL.

THTB whats the deal with the feddy match up?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I'm on the fence about it, tbh...right now it's a tough one. Pretty much if you're full screen, good luck. Any closer, and it's not too bad. It's just too easy for Freddy to send you there, if you run into a ground spike, is the issue. It works as a wakeup, as a general dash stuff, combos from his normals, etc.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I can say I don't really have much kano/kang MU experience but I don't agree with cyber sub, sub or freddy. I Don't see what kano has that would make it in his favor against reptile also. Also KL could be even or maybe a slight advantage to KL.

THTB whats the deal with the feddy match up?
yea i mean its all opinion based man people play reptile very differently hence why people experience different bad matchups..
maybe kano is more of a personal thing but i really believe cyber to be a bad matchup.. the dive kick and parry neutralize the dash and can go over fbs.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
sub (ithink) is a bad matchup just because fb trade isnt good anymore and exslide is extremely baitable and punishable.. in the corner its game over

sub (ithink) is a bad matchup just because fb trade isnt good anymore and exslide is extremely baitable and punishable.. in the corner its game over
Thank you. I keep hearing "Bro, its 5-5". I can't see it at all.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Use his walkspeed and try to outfootsie her. The idea of 'playing random' was a Muffin Muggers idea, which basically just turned games against him into combo videos

THTB

There's ranges where you can spit in your favor. Also you can forceball in a way where a freeze trade isn't favorable still.

All moves are baitable...that doesn't really apply. They have respect it because Sub loses positioning in the corner if it hits. Then that opens up everything else for Reptile to allow him to fight his way out.

There's more to the move than what it does itself. It's everything around it.

I am going to be hard to convince that rep sub is even. If you don't start spit or forceball as soon as he clones, he can start bucking ice back to back and it is nearly impossible to do anything. Once the clone runs out you still have to be cautious due to another ice clone possibility, another ice ball, ex ball, or armored slide. I haaaaaaaate this match.

THTB

I am going to be hard to convince that rep sub is even. If you don't start spit or forceball as soon as he clones, he can start bucking ice back to back and it is nearly impossible to do anything. Once the clone runs out you still have to be cautious due to another ice clone possibility, another ice ball, ex ball, or armored slide. I haaaaaaaate this match.

The fact that he has to clone all the time to even try to limit you causes problems for him in predictability. You know he's eventually gonna clone. If you duck a freeze from full screen it's a free dash, and the startup is slow as hell, you can walk a little to give yourself options. Any closer, and he has to respect the spit because it's in your favor or try to counter it. Which opens forceballs. If you're iffy, EX forceball.

Sub's normals aside from d4 are way weaker than your own. He just survives by having clone to stop counterpoking. d4 can be countered by f3 or b4. f3 leads to hell for Sub also...that is a knockdown where clone isn't gonna help at all.

It's not an awful matchup...judging from the matches I've seen of you, Tread, you're not patient enough overall which may be why this matchup gets to you so bad. Too bad you don't live closer...cuz I'd help you for sure.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
yes but a good sub player that knows the mu will stay at a distance right infront of full screen where all trades will be in his favor.. and obviously all moves are baitable but some more than others like the ex slide which is used in more specific situation than other specials. and its not an awful matchup.. i think this is the matchup i have the most experience with since ive played kobra probably in the hundreds but its is a bad one.. probably 4.5-5.5 maaaybe 4-6

and like you said theres more to the move itself its the fear of the move. a clone that is not on screen creates more fear than one already present and a good sub will know that

GhosT

Noob
I thought this was a Sonya vs reptile thread? Anyone in here want to play this match up with me on xbl tonight? Let me know

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk

THTB

yes but a good sub player that knows the mu will stay at a distance right infront of full screen where all trades will be in his favor.. and obviously all moves are baitable but some more than others like the ex slide which is used in more specific situation than other specials. and its not an awful matchup.. i think this is the matchup i have the most experience with since ive played kobra probably in the hundreds but its is a bad one.. probably 4.5-5.5 maaaybe 4-6

and like you said theres more to the move itself its the fear of the move. a clone that is not on screen creates more fear than one already present and a good sub will know that
I don't have to go for a trade though...if I feel like it, I'll just advance and wait for clone to go out, then react to the clone you have to put up.

Fear of clone is scary, but if there's no clone on screen, Sub can't make Reptile play in a way that rapes him. It has to be out all the time.

THTB you are 100% correct in saying I am impatient haha, that's a fact.

I know sonya is probably the worst for rep but my play style males the sub match far worse. I literally never consider using another character for any match up aside from sub.

Also, I'd love to play with you sometime as well. I have absolutely no scene here. I only play offline with one friend, and online is useless. Tournaments help me level up so much but I can only drive 7 hrs. Every so often haha.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
I thought this was a Sonya vs reptile thread? Anyone in here want to play this match up with me on xbl tonight? Let me know

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Green Tapatalk
I'll play you, add me if I have room, if not just send me a message on XBL and I'll add you A F0xy Grampa (with a zero)