What's new

My story/mindset as a casual gamer + questions to the community

Well guys, let me first start off by saying that for the time I've been a part of this community, it's been great getting to know some of the folks on here, even if it's only been via private messaging or reading some of your posts on the forums, as I've never met any of you personally. Which reminds me, even though I don't follow the tournament scene as closely as many of you, I have become aware of many generally recognized players from different communities. And you guys know I love seeing all the drama that naturally ensues in the front page comments, forums, podcasts and all other outlets.

Anyways, I know that this is a competitive fighting game hangout and a place to go for MK, IGAU and now KI strategy info. But that's kind of why i don't post a lot. You see, growing up in the 90's (I'm 30 now) I became a fan of martial arts films and MA's in general. Big Trouble in Little China, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Best of the Best, American Ninja and the list goes on. And this whole modern take of East meets West of course made an easy transition to games since both industries fed off each other. For games there was Bad Dudes, Ninja Gaiden, Pit Fighter, etc. And of course the fighter's we play today.

But back then I feel much youth didn't know how to actually play those games, nor did the developers actually know how to design them all that well. Now i could be wrong here, but I don't believe balance was top priority for the game industry when it came to the cash 'n grab kung fu craze of some 90's arcade games. But now that many of us grew up with these games that lived on through sequels, we've come to expect more out of them. Not just all 'flash'. So in comes more depth to the tactics, more tweaking and more improvements.

Truth be told guys, I didn't know that balance could even really exist in a video game. That is until I went on the MKO forums and read how people were calling the then new 3d MK's 'broken'.

But even at the moment I still have a lot I need to go over (read) when it comes to understanding general fighting game fundamentals. Honestly, I would love to sit down with many of you and just discuss why some thing would and could not work in a fighter in terms of innovation. As well as getting to the core elements of what makes a game balanced and their design philosophies.

Actually I've had a lot of passion for drawing and just design in general since I was young, which easily carried over to video games. For the longest I wanted to be at the least a concept artist working on a vision for game ideas I've had. But to yet my surprise publishers don't want to work on your idea, but the idea's they already have set aside due to popular demand in our culture. Plus I don't have a track record. So that was a huge letdown finding that out.

But I wanted to ask you guys some questions. Do you play all competitive games regardless if you hate the way everything looks in the game? Why will you play one and won't play another, if this is the case? Do graphics really not make a difference? And if so would you be okay with modern games having stayed with pixel art? :p No, but seriously, I feel like a a lot of players don't give their dues to the artists and only care about mechanics.

Also, those of you who play competitively, what is the reason for doing so? Do you do it for the passion of learning and testing you skills against other players, for money, etc..? What about those of you who play competitively and don't partake in tournaments? What is your reason for learning and practicing the game to such a high level?

Personally I really can't get into a game unless it has some sort of appeal visually. And I don't mean the poly count on models. Well for instance a lot of people say MK is dark. And yes while in most cases that is true. Many of them do have a lot of comedic aspects, which does remove the serious tone of the game Like Bo Rai Cho throwing up and having a farting fatality, or just the comedic and unrealistic finishers in general... but that's MK. And MK9 was pretty serious in most respects. It was really the first fighter I got into as deep as I did. Even though I'm not that good at it, I don't really have a purpose to get good. I don't attend tournaments but I love to learn about what makes a game tick, mechanics wise.

I unlike many prefer more realism in games, since that sort of thing is few and far between. And it wouldn't hurt every now and then for RPG's and even fighters that showcase light trails, sparks and other effects to remove that aspect. One of the few genres that has moved away from this is FPS and i don't play those. Honestly, I don't mind fantasy, it's just too easy to find that sort of game within such a saturated market.

Well thanks for listening to my life story guys. Don't beat me up too bad because of it, lol. No, but I really do love this community and the scene in general. I feel people who play fighters well are very knowledgeable and can react well under pressure and to mind games.

Anyways, I'm out. And take it easy on each other here. There really is enough true evil in this world to go around forever.

zuurrkk

World's worst GL
The style/concept of the game usually makes me want to play it. Not just the mechanics. This may or may not be an unpopular opinion because I remember a while ago everyone was saying "why are you playing this game? Skull girls is out go play that. Why aren't you playing skull girls? Etc." because it was super balanced or had cool mechanics I guess? Idk

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
i skimmed your post.

i play competitively to challenge myself. the opponent is no challenge. it is possible to beat everyone. you must acquire the control. you must overcome yourself. some people see competing as one guy vs the other guy. i see it as two guys playing not against each other but against themselves. with acquired knowledge and execution and going deeper into strategy, every action has a reaction. the more actions you learn, the more reactions you learn, the better your train yourself to summon the solution to every problem, the more reward for you. i also play single player score and time based games for the same reason. the deeper you go the higher i feel rewarded.

so TL DR im feeling myself. im feeling myself about myself tho, i surpass myself if i win, i lose to myself if i lose. to me thats the game. overcome yourself.

also i feel it keeps my mind sharp and i learned a lot about myself playing fighting games. might sound dumb to others but they can fuck themselves.

i will add that Beating the opponent is more about involving Ego. "Im gonna beat this guy cos he beat me, im gonna teach him a lesson, im gonna show him im good." this is all folly of the ego. however id be a fucking fool if i said im not corrupted by this in many times in my career. ive played out of anger to beat the opponent. i won and it feels great to show that guy. i lost and i feel like fucking shit because of the ego involved and i gave my opponent power over me.

but because in tournament i have quite a strict "me vs myself mentality" i have never really experienced tournament nerves. I know myself, im not afraid to meet myself in tournament.

yeah, its all about me, so sue me.

PainForge