What's new

My Setbacks?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Something I can't help but notice about my gameplay...

Whenever I'm winning consistently, I usually manage to stay in control. I can make good reads, I can keep my composure, and overall I feel quite content.

But as soon as I suffer a loss, be it due to lag or skill...it's like I just crumble apart and I can't play as logically as I know I can. This happens no matter who I play. Often I find myself just giving up when the round is too heavily against me and I know I can't come all the way back, yet some other players can and I never did understand how.

Can anyone explain to me what my problem is? I've tried hard to get a grasp on it, but I never could come to any understanding on what is going on.

Tim Static

Adminerator

Whenever I'm winning consistently, I usually manage to stay in control. I can make good reads, I can keep my composure, and overall I feel quite content.

But as soon as I suffer a loss, be it due to lag or skill...it's like I just crumble apart and I can't play as logically as I know I can. This happens no matter who I play. Often I find myself just giving up when the round is too heavily against me and I know I can't come all the way back, yet some other players can and I never did understand how.

Can anyone explain to me what my problem is? I've tried hard to get a grasp on it, but I never could come to any understanding on what is going on.
Are you talking on or offline? or in general?

Either way its 1 of 2 things, or probably both.

1. Lack of experience (especially in an offline setting, because its in your face, real and you cant pretend its not happening).

2. Some kind of mental block. This is something you'll have to explore more, but first thing is first: confidence. You are Playing to Win, not playing for fun (which is ok sometimes), and not playing to play. One goal: win. nothing else, nothing less, nothing more. See opponent, beat opponent. Suggest reading materials, especially this: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

jamessmk

I am your god
In general, sir. And thank you for the post.
I agree with Tim. In your face is different than online.

I suggest if you think you are going down. Remain steadfast and max meters for next round. For me it gives me a burst from depression :)
Plus opponent may be forced to use his meter to finish you off. Nothing wrong with losing, specially if you force a time up, good luck

Sasuga

Noob
I think it's mostly the fact that the way in which you concentrate takes a lot of your energy. A lot of this energy you get from the winning and the way in which you win. It feels really good to make good reads and you feed off of this. But once this cycle is interrupted, it's hard to get back into it. The harder you try the less you'll probably succeed.

But the more you play, the better you will understand when you play at your sharpest and you'll learn to play more like that without even noticing.

For me I'm at my best when I've not played for a couple of days and then after like, half an hour of intensive play. If I play several hours a day, every day of the week, at some point I'll play as if on auto-pilot.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

Dude, I do the exact same thing.
I tense my way into the victory surge, get comfy and start kicking ass...but the moment someone gets the better of me, it's like I'm right back at the bottom of the still, stabbing my way up with much greater difficulty than when I'd first gotten on the roll...it's all psychological. Some guys, who i fucking envy, they dont factor in defeat until theyre knocked on their ass, but some see death on its way and they cant help but let a little of the panic sneak in. Thats part of what really sucked about not being able to really play much at NEC; my whole purpose of going early was to have all that time to learn from the people and get all those jitters and worries out of the way, try and get a better mental hold on it so it didnt factor in at showtime, but it just didnt pan out that way :(.

You, my friend, need a case of the FuckIts.
Granted, I'm a little more accustomed to defeat and frustration (Dude, you are a fucking murderer, I wish I could swing a sword like you), but I think it's easier just to take the occasional bodying, be it legit or lag-induced, do the quick mental survey of "Okay, i screwed up this, this, and part of this, so next time I gotta try this, this, and maybe like 3 of these," and dive back in before the nerves get to you. That way, you're distracted by what you're trying to remember and adjust, and you wont have time to get down on yourself for losing to begin with because you're too busy turning it into super powers :).