What's new

My review of the PDP MKX Fightpad (PS4)

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
This was the first 3rd party controller I've bought for fighting games. I'm going to keep this short(ish) and sweet:

The pros:

This controller fits really well in your hands. It feels good, and is very light. It's sturdy and feels like it was made with ergonomics and longevity in mind.

The d-pad is actually REALLY good. I was unable to replicate the issue that PL had in his video where the character jumps forward rather than neutral after moving forward. I feel like this is one of the best d-pads I've ever toyed with. I love it. I put it above the DS4 and WAYYYYY above the XB1 controller. It's smooth and doing your down to forwards or down to backs is easy. I could even do the DBF motion for Bane's command grabs with ease. In fact it felt easier to perform.

It's super easy to move from button to button to combo. This is also a con and I'll get into that later. However, the feel of the buttons is fantastic and responsive, you feel like you're inputs are registering, and it takes less effort than a DS4. You also cant deny having 6 buttons on the front being awesome. Way easier to throw and use interactibles in IGAU.

The USB cable is also super long and perfect for sitting back at your couch or in a chair at a tournament setting.

Unfortunately for me, this is where the pros end.

The cons:

Over button registration. PL said in his review that you had to really plink the buttons to get them to register...I dont know if this was some early model or what, but my findings is that it's way too easy to activate the buttons. I have big hands, but not massive hands. More long and slender. While doing any button combo where I needed to double up buttons, such as Aquaman's ender string, F2,1+3, I found myself hitting 4 around 75% of the time. Even when concentrating on hitting just 1+3, I would knick the 4 and my damn water shield would come out. The size of the buttons is fine, it's almost as if it's the angle at which the buttons are layed out. On a DS4 I RARELY drop a combo, and never have this "mashing" issue. Execution is really not the problem. You just barely touch it, and it activates. SUPER ANNOYING.

Placement of the bumper buttons. I LOVE R2 for block in MK9 and Meterburn in IGAU. The placement of that button is perfect for me. It was R1 and L1 that gave me issue. I always felt as if I had to really move my hand in order to throw or activate an interactible. It was the main reason I ended up buying the PDP Fightpad. Much to my dismay, I found that the placement of R2, and L2 was completely done away with to create the 6 button format on the face of the pad. So I still find myself reaching to block or meterburn. It's not quite as bad as the DS4's R1 and L1, but close enough to annoy me even further.

We all know there's also no mic port which is mildly annoying but whatever. Go buy a bluetooth mic you cheap skates.

Here's the deal killer...The missing track pad on DS4. Now, I dont have MKX so I dont know how the function works, but the second I went into IGAU's practice mode I realized I could NOT quick reset the player placements. On PS3 MK9 you would push Select, on IGAU on PS4 you push the track pad down. Without it you seemingly CANNOT quick reset play positionment and meter or whatever your practice settings are...WTF am I supposed to do NRS, Sony, and PDP??? Did you not think of this? You can't just fucking leave that out! If there's some secret trick or I'm an idiot please correct me, but I dont think there is a way to do it. FUCK. THAT.

I want to give this pad 2 ratings. One ignoring the missing track pad, and one not ignoring

Ignoring: 8/10. It's pretty nice pad and most of my cons wont even come into play with tournament play. The button issues I had could probably be remedied with just more time and practice on the pad. Everything else is pretty damn nice...especially that d-pad

Not ignoring: 5/10. I cant use practice mode....Fuck this pad.

So there's no alternative at all for the touchpad button not even the select button??? What a huge oversite. That sounds severely flawed.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
So you didn't like it cuz it's a six button layout and has no trackpad? Hmmmm
You misunderstand. I LOVE the 6 button layout. It's half the reason I got it. The bumpers still make me reach out of a comfortable position, and not having a track pad means I cant effectively use practice mode. Mix that with accidental button activation, and I don't want this pad.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
You misunderstand. I LOVE the 6 button layout. It's half the reason I got it. The bumpers still make me reach out of a comfortable position, and not having a track pad means I cant effectively use practice mode. Mix that with accidental button activation, and I don't want this pad.
Fair enough getting mine Monday hopefully I like it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
So there's no alternative at all for the touchpad button not even the select button??? What a huge oversite. That sounds severely flawed.
Exactly my point. It's such an oversight that I feel like I'm missing something on the pad (I'm not) or maybe MKX has another way to reset player positionment. BIG god damn flaw though.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Fair enough getting mine Monday hopefully I like it.
You wont be totally disappointed. I promise...but not being able to reset in practice mode is fucking super annoying when you're trying to test shit out or learn combos. That alone has me returning it.

C-Sword

Noob
There's no select button for the PS4 , it got replaced by Share. 3rd party pads aren't going to have a track pad. very few sticks have one. Having to pause the game and reset practice mode in GG Xrd was annoying at first, but I got used to it.

It looks like the only way to reset practice in Injustice is to set the AI to P2 and press the trackpad on a DS4. Obviously this won't work if you want the dummy to do anything besides stand there though.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
There's no select button for the PS4 , it got replaced by Share. 3rd party pads aren't going to have a track pad. very few sticks have one. Having to pause the game and reset practice mode in GG Xrd was annoying at first, but I got used to it.
The share and options button dont reset. In IGAU you have to go all the way back to the fucking Character select screen, or dash push your computer opponent around to position them over and over. Does that sound fun to you?

C-Sword

Noob
The share and options button dont reset. In IGAU you have to go all the way back to the fucking Character select screen, or dash push your computer opponent around to position them over and over. Does that sound fun to you?
I use a PS2 controller for GG Xrd, it has no track pad, I have to pause the game and select reset, it's not a big deal to me

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I use a PS2 controller for GG Xrd, it has no track pad, I have to pause the game and select reset, it's not a big deal to me
This option does not exist in MK9 or IGAU...It's possible it does in MKX, I wish someone could verify that.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I know I have a ps4. I'm talking about the huge button itself not the trackpad feature.
On ps4 pressing the touchpad replaces the select button of games on ps3.
Since the pdp controller has the select button I figured that should be linked to he touchpad on ps4.
There's no select button on this pad....I cant stop saying "wtf"

C-Sword

Noob
Like I said, it's a common thing for 3rd party controllers not to have a track pad and a mic port.

See....

Deal with it or stick with the DualShock 4.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Like I said, it's a common thing for 3rd party controllers not to have a track pad and a mic port.

See....

Deal with it or stick with the DualShock 4.
Yeah, that's why I'm going back to DS4. I cant even practice without becoming irate

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents of the PDP FightPad. I started out as a complete novice gamer with mk9, #pcmasterrace, So naturally, Xbox 360 controller was my first use. dPad sucked; I was jumping all over the place. So I investigated other options and found the precursor to the Razer Sabertooth, much better but still needed work. So I tried the Evil dPad modification on the Xbox remote, this worked for awhile but I found the buttons gunked up far too often. So then I went on to the actual Razor Sabertooth. This was perfect for me, but... it broke often (the dPad and triggers). So with research I was pulled towards the Xtokki Adapter and a PS2 controller. This is what I've been using here on out after 5000-6000 matches with mk9. Works wonderfully and is very durable as I haven't broken one. So naturally, I've been worried about my gameplay with MKX having to loose the PS2 controller.

So now that you know the back-story, I tried the PDP fightpad for one evening on MK9 and immediately saw an issue. When I would sweep from B D 4 for Mileena's ball roll, the button input would always register D B 4. I think maybe with time I could adapt, but this was a major issue for me with how I've learned to play. However, if you are more of the type of player not to sweep your inputs, the dPad and micro switches on the XYAB etc were awesome. The dPad itself was very quick to use, but a shame that the down would register before the back with how I've used to play MK9. The PDP fightpad placement of the select button to reset positions is quite odd, but whatever at least it has one.

Further more, I just bought xbone after trading in my x360. As far as my own enjoyment of MKX on the xbox, I'm very happy to see a major improvement over the xbone controller. dPad was very usable. No dropped combos here. I do wish the buttons on the xbone were micro switches for easier inputting and I'll miss the instant triggers.

So until I can use a PS2 controller, at least I'm happy with the xbone. PS, you might wonder why the heck I didn't buy a PS4 and just use the most similar controller to the one that worked for me. Well, #pcmasterrace and my friends on x360. Windows 10 + Xbox One integration will be sweet.

MrSoloLobo

I have a keen eye for all things broken.
Yeah the training mode thing in IGAU is annoying. I'm still getting used to the pad but so far I kinda like it.