What's new

My perspective of being the most hated MK player and how I look at it

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
what the hell? I think you're one of the top 3 most beloved players in the community. You and CD. CDjr.. not very well liked from what I've seen. Everyone was rooting for you to beat CDjr.

Reactions: REO

Matix218

Get over here!
You are not hated Reo. We all love watching you play. Don't let the opinions and comments of a few people in the community make you feel like the most hated player by the whole community. Most likely you are more peoples favorite player then their most hated.

Matix

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
REO this is gonna sound gay but you're my favorite player in the MK community. Much love for you, bro. I still remember officially meeting you at SJ after ECT2.

Fuck the haters... they all have a fucking excuse when they get a proper beat-down.

Good read!

jokey77

Character Loyalist
NDC-pressure by Reo may very well be the coolest thing to watch in MK tournement-videos... :)

I guess, there are not as many haters as you think. However a few may be enough to cause negative feelings... It´s the same with 16bit, Shujinkydink (or what he´s called) or Tom Brady. You guys just polarize, but if you leave all the hyped-up conversations out, there can be no doubt about the fact, that you guys are skilled and absolutely important for the community.

swag1

EX smash solves all
Glad you decided to say "fuck it" to the community. I use the HitBox myself (don't play Kabal, though). Don't worry about it. You haven't unlocked your full potential yet as a player until you go back. You're still the best though. But that shit was INSANE!

Spirit Guide

Friend Gang
I don't usually suck up to celebrities but I feel that you (REO) are a Top 5 tournament MK9 player and have been ever since the game came out. People hate what they can't conquer, so being affected by what you view as negative is just a waste of time. You're also very fun to watch which is why I'm blessing you with my compliment.

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
Wow, I never even knew Reo got hated on all like that. I'm actually surprised to hear about this. Oh well, h@yterz/h8ers/haters gonna h@te/h8/hate. See you at MLG, Reo.

Spirit Guide

Friend Gang
what the hell? I think you're one of the top 3 most beloved players in the community. You and CD. CDjr.. not very well liked from what I've seen. Everyone was rooting for you to beat CDjr.
Why is CD Jr. not liked? He's my favorite to watch on Streams when he uses Jax. Otherwise, I don't want to watch him. lol

He seems like a nice lad, what is the beef with him?

Hitoshura

Head Cage
Looking at my entire career in MK9 and all of the controversies I've started, I just feel I should recap and explain how it's made me a better and stronger competitor today. I hope this helps players out there who are going through a current situation or have been that is similar.

Starting things off and my first impression

The day of Power Up came and I got to show off my Kabal. My positive presentation of Kabal was quickly put to an end after a couple games in pools. I had a player refuse to shake my hand and look at me like I was a joke. It wasn't brought to my attention until the end of the day, day before top 8 that my character had a block infinite and it was the only reason I was getting rounds off of people. The word was quickly spreading and people were labeling me as a scrub. At this early stage in my competitive career, I was letting it get to me so I dropped Kabal and went with a secondary (CSZ). I placed top 3 and during the stream and in result thread posts there were a lot of people labeling me as a "dive kick spammer and one trick pony".

I don't know why I was letting all the negativity and hate get to me. Maybe it was because I wasn't used to the exposure and mass effect the opinion of public can have on someone. If I could go back in time, I would've just stuck with Kabal and used the block infinite. Regardless if it caused the game look bad or make me look like a scrub. It wasn't my fault, but I'm glad I inspired players like MichaelAngelo and Erik Warda to get into Kabal.

Getting rid of the "Honor" mindset

When I was watching the CEO stream, I had the most known player at that time publicly embarrass me on stream. I won't mention his name, but he said something along the lines of "Oh, REO? REO is far behind everyone" when a commentator brought up my name. I was actually thinking of quitting the game right after I heard this, but instead it set me off. Every bit of honor I had with refusing to use the characters I wanted, and to play with "fairness" was immediately thrown out the window. I picked up Kung Lao and a couple weeks later confronted the player at Empire Arcadia tournament and won. It felt really good, even though later on he claimed I only won because of a breaker vulnerability his character had.

"Mashing" and "sneaking" my way to EVO grand finals

This was mostly all I read about and heard for the longest time. I had to constantly listen to people rag on me for abusing a "braindead" hitbox glitch that made me "impossible to hit". People were sending me messages on various sites that they were losing respect for me because all I was doing was d+4, d+4, d+4, d+4, and sai spamming and that I was better than that. I had a certain champion claim the match up was 7-3 in Mileena's favor because of said glitch, and that it was a godsend he overcame it to beat me. All of these claims that were completely false, and people were actually believing it.

I even had well known players from other communities saying "REO is trash and I have no idea how he snuck his way to the grand finals". "REO had every advantage in the match up and still lost". It just kept stacking up until finally dying down a few months later. All of this did anger me to an extent. How was I getting people to believe Mileena was insanely broken when deep down I knew she wasn't? At this point I had no choice but to show people what an extremely good character truly looked like.

The hitbox dilemma and Kabal is insanely broken delusion

I finally got to win a major. After all the hard work and practicing I put into my new character, it paid off. Getting home and reading comments and listening to other players talk about the event just disgusted me.

I had countless things said to me as to why I won this major such as:

"The dash nerf made Kabal broken, REO is lucky"
"Kabal iAFB is autipilot and dumb, anyone can win like that"
"Hitbox needs to be banned"
"Kabal has no bad match ups and beats everyone in the cast 7-3, 8-2"
"Kabal needs to be banned"
etc.

It was already bad enough I had to listen to side comments like these all day at the actual event. But to come home and have to read it all over again? It was whatever, I started not to care at this point about anything haters had to say. I got tired of proving people wrong, and have no reason to do so anymore. I never talked shit about other players or stated how everyone got three chances in the tournament but me.

When the next major came and I got 2nd at SBV with "broken unbeatable hitbox Kabal", a lot of people were ridiculing me. I got a lot of comments saying "That's what REO gets for abusing a broken character and controller". "Wow, REO lost to a low tier character, he sucks and is garbage". "How can anyone lose to Jax with Kabal? Kabal wins that much just iAFB spamming". It was okay though, because at this point I was growing immune to the trolling and going along with some of it for fun.

Fast forward to today. I got my fair share of hate at Final Round XV, like "REO had to countperick to win, what a scrub" and the typical Kabal bullshit. But you know what? In the end it's a great community filled with some of the best people you'll ever meet. EVERYONE, and I repeat, EVERYONE, gets hated on, no matter who you are. At the end of the day, it's your choice of letting the haters get to you. Anyone who is thinking of quitting the game of has had a thought of doing so because of haters. My advice is to just hang in there and ignore them, because it'll just make you a better player and stronger competitor in the longrun.
Tim Static said it the best

Hate=Jealousy

Their all jealous b/c your GDLK at the game and got that swag button.

Tbh not only r u hated but so is Altaire, CD jr, Maxter, etc.

Your doing the right thing taking tht hate and using it to fuel ur competitive drive

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
This was an interesting read, I always wondered why your Kabal went AWOL between PowerUp 2011's Top 8 and EVO 2011, and LOL at the Mileena complaints, especially that one guy who had the worst, insanely free matchup against her going for him, but this isn't the place to talk in depth about that, amongst other things that you brought up, as you aren't disclosing names.

You said it yourself though REO, embrace the hate, it'll only provoke the better player within you. You continue to be a major influence on the MK community and I don't think anyone could disagree that they'd be lost without your presence, keep it that way.

KamikazeJD

Makes women fap
Freeo and his freebox are two of the biggest reasons on why I would rather play Mahvel and league of legends instead mk9. My league friends get so hype when I tell them 'yeah, freeo made me LOL'
Somethin about you east coast players make me wanna nuke the mk community.. I dunno..
Aside from the fact that you are a funny ass guy, knowledgable player, and a great player (all of which I sadly had to experience personally) you are still a trashy WHOOP WHOOP noohb. You use the freebox and break characters with it. And we all say 'freeo needs it!'

In all seriousness though, keep doin work bro. U a coo ass cat n high school drama should b shrugged off. See u at evo man, ima money match you an if you win ima break that bitchbox.

REO I'm glad you didn't let the shit talkers get to you. Next time you hear someone talking shit about you, take it as a blessing. If you've noticed when those popular figures talk shit about a player, they usually end up getting blown up by that player. I find that so hilarious when that happens. To me it almost looks like they are jinxing themselves or the players they root for. If I ever play you in tournament or anywhere else, please use your hitbox and do what ever this game allows you to do. Its not your fault or any other players fault that NRS can't get it right. When I get blown up by resets, glitches, D4s, or whatever else is stupid in this game, I never feel resentment towards the player but rather disgust in the game. The community should put the developers on blast not the players.

daddydab32ho

KANO, KANO, KAY-NOOOOOO , KANO (DRAKES VOICE)
Looking at my entire career in MK9 and all of the controversies I've started, I just feel I should recap and explain how it's made me a better and stronger competitor today. I hope this helps players out there who are going through a current situation or have been that is similar.

The day of Power Up came and I got to show off my Kabal. My positive presentation of Kabal was quickly put to an end after a couple games in pools. I had a player refuse to shake my hand and look at me like I was a joke. It wasn't brought to my attention until the end of the day, day before top 8 that my character had a block infinite and it was the only reason I was getting rounds off of people. The word was quickly spreading and people were labeling me as a scrub. At this early stage in my competitive career, I was letting it get to me so I dropped Kabal and went with a secondary (CSZ). I placed top 3 and during the stream and in result thread posts there were a lot of people labeling me as a "dive kick spammer and one trick pony".

I don't know why I was letting all the negativity and hate get to me. Maybe it was because I wasn't used to the exposure and mass effect the opinion of public can have on someone. If I could go back in time, I would've just stuck with Kabal and used the block infinite. Regardless if it caused the game look bad or make me look like a scrub. It wasn't my fault, but I'm glad I inspired players like MichaelAngelo and Erik Warda to get into Kabal.

When I was watching the CEO stream, I had the most known player at that time publicly embarrass me on stream. I won't mention his name, but he said something along the lines of "Oh, REO? REO is far behind everyone" when a commentator brought up my name. I was actually thinking of quitting the game right after I heard this, but instead it set me off. Every bit of honor I had with refusing to use the characters I wanted, and to play with "fairness" was immediately thrown out the window. I picked up Kung Lao and a couple weeks later confronted the player at Empire Arcadia tournament and won. It felt really good, even though later on he claimed I only won because of a breaker vulnerability his character had.

This was mostly all I read about and heard for the longest time. I had to constantly listen to people rag on me for abusing a "braindead" hitbox glitch that made me "impossible to hit". People were sending me messages on various sites that they were losing respect for me because all I was doing was d+4, d+4, d+4, d+4, and sai spamming and that I was better than that. I had a certain champion claim the match up was 7-3 in Mileena's favor because of said glitch, and that it was a godsend he overcame it to beat me. All of these claims that were completely false, and people were actually believing it.

I even had well known players from other communities saying "REO is trash and I have no idea how he snuck his way to the grand finals". "REO had every advantage in the match up and still lost". It just kept stacking up until finally dying down a few months later. All of this did anger me to an extent. How was I getting people to believe Mileena was insanely broken when deep down I knew she wasn't? At this point I had no choice but to show people what an extremely good character truly looked like.

I finally got to win a major. After all the hard work and practicing I put into my new character, it paid off. Getting home and reading comments and listening to other players talk about the event just disgusted me.

etc.

It was already bad enough I had to listen to side comments like these all day at the actual event. But to come home and have to read it all over again? It was whatever, I started not to care at this point about anything haters had to say. I got tired of proving people wrong, and have no reason to do so anymore. I never talked shit about other players or stated how everyone got three chances in the tournament but me.

When the next major came and I got 2nd at SBV with "broken unbeatable hitbox Kabal", a lot of people were ridiculing me. I got a lot of comments saying "That's what REO gets for abusing a broken character and controller". "Wow, REO lost to a low tier character, he sucks and is garbage". "How can anyone lose to Jax with Kabal? Kabal wins that much just iAFB spamming". It was okay though, because at this point I was growing immune to the trolling and going along with some of it for fun.

Fast forward to today. I got my fair share of hate at Final Round XV, like "REO had to countperick to win, what a scrub" and the typical Kabal bullshit. But you know what? In the end it's a great community filled with some of the best people you'll ever meet. EVERYONE, and I repeat, EVERYONE, gets hated on, no matter who you are. At the end of the day, it's your choice of letting the haters get to you. Anyone who is thinking of quitting the game of has had a thought of doing so because of haters. My advice is to just hang in there and ignore them, because it'll just make you a better player and stronger competitor in the longrun.

etc.

most def inspirational and you can relate this to so many aspects in life other than mk... great post man...

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Most of the people loves you. You are using the most difficult character to play. Those cancels are insane. I would like to see your fingers. :) About the Hittbox.......I have one, but never use it. It is easyer with pad , cause of the block button. I don't think is wrong if you use it if it helps your game. Everyone want to be in your place( so god like with their character). You don't see many good post about you , cause people thinks '' Oh Reo is in the Grand final AGAIN. Nothing new. This guy is kick ass.'' But the hater thinks'' But he didn't win. If he win ,there must be some cheeting. Shit i have ti find something.......oh yeah the Hittbox..aaa.the character....maybe the contra pick'' Fuck that man ........you are Godlike. Keep it going!

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I didn't even know all of that happened. To hate on Reo is pretty dumb. When I watch VSM I always hope Reo is there because he is so entertaining to watch. No offense to anyone on VSM. He so talented and gdlk with characters you can't help but feel inspired by him.

I definitely see Reo as the overall top Mk player because of everything he has shown and accomplish.

G4S Claude VonStroke

@MK_ClaudeVS on twitter
Let's see.. Reo is imo in the top 3 players in the world. He's got unreal execution and amazing reading ability combed with extensive knowledge of the game. ANYONE who hates on him is either Jealous, a complete noob, or is just being an asshole for no reason.