What's new

My Opinion on Holding Down to block (DBack Not needed)

So, one feature this game has present is by pressing simply down, blocking of any attack but overheads is possible.

In other fighters with the hold to back to block, one must be holding Down+Back to block, in Injustice, you can still do that, but holding down is simply enough in most situations.

Some people want this removed, and I strongly DISCOURAGE this.
I know the game is still VERY young, but if this is removed, the zoning would be even MORE powerful.

With this feature, one can sit and bait projectiles, but MORE importantly, GET IN zoners with easier reactions to block. Of course, transition to back when blocking overhead projectiles.
Walking forward and shifting to down, instead Dback is personally easier for me

In my opinion, up close, I would consider blocking Down+Back for crossups (overheads) so that releasing down is the only thing to do.
So, without this feature, zoners would have the upperhand by far due to the person trying to get in having a harder time to come in.

It's really hard to explain, because I know Down+Back stations you, but there's something about just needing to hold down that makes the spacing easier to deal with zoners.

But most importantly, this avoids crossup setups (non overheads), and simply holding down will block either side as REO showed with Batmans setup

Mr. Mileena not to be a dick but, wtf? Holding down+back and holding just down is the same thing. Down+back is exactly how you crouch block in all other fighting games, I really don't understand what you mean when you say that zoning would be made more powerful if you had to rely on down+back. You will never walk backwards when holding down+back, go try that in AE or Skullgirls and you'll see that you don't move when doing that... am I missing something?

I do agree that down to block all but overheads is cool, and I think it should stay. But... I don't really get what you're trying to say here either lol

Mr. Mileena not to be a dick but, wtf? Holding down+back and holding just down is the same thing. Down+back is exactly how you crouch block in all other fighting games, I really don't understand what you mean when you say that zoning would be made more powerful if you had to rely on down+back. You will never walk backwards when holding down+back, go try that in AE or Skullgirls and you'll see that you don't move when doing that... am I missing something?
No I know it stations you in place, it's just a lot of people already want this feature removed.
It's hard to explain Frothy, I know I make no sense right now, but it's bugging me.

To me, it's quicker to walk forward and shift to hold down. Not to mention, it also avoids ambiguous crossups (non overhead setups), such as REO stated with Batman's

No I know it stations you in place, it's just a lot of people already want this feature removed.
It's hard to explain Frothy, I know I make no sense right now, but it's bugging me.

To me, it's quicker to walk forward and shift to hold down. Not to mention, it also avoids ambiguous crossups (non overhead setups), such as REO stated with Batman's
Ah I think I get what you're saying. You mean that it's faster to transition from F to D than it is from F to D+B. Makes sense, but man that's such a small thing lol. I guess it's not a problem for me because I play on hitbox so I just instinctively hit both buttons simultaneously anyways.

To expand on this blocking GL's air fireballs annoys the crap out of me because they're overheads. I have to give up ground blocking them early becuase lawlonline and lawllaggymonitor. But I suppose that complaint is completely on me and not the game lol

Ah I think I get what you're saying. You mean that it's faster to transition from F to D than it is from F to D+B. Makes sense, but man that's such a small thing lol. I guess it's not a problem for me because I play on hitbox so I just instinctively hit both buttons simultaneously anyways.
Yes, I'm drinking a bit of wine, and I re-read my post, GOOD GOD I did not mean to word it in that sense.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What zoning characters are you talking about?

Look at the frames for the projectiles. Aside from two characters, everyone has ASS projectile recovery frames.

Special moves like Aquaman's Trident Spike and Raven's Soul Crash are all -20 on block (or worse). You have plenty of time to block and do a full dash without any consequences.

Look at the frames for the projectiles. Aside from two characters, everyone has ASS projectile recovery frames.

Special moves like Aquaman's Trident Spike and Raven's Soul Crash are all -20 on block (or worse). You have plenty of time to block and do a full dash without any consequences.
Right, and that's when you move in.
DeathStroke, Superman, Sinestro, etc

But yes, Raven is -20, but a Raven that spams that constantly will not be very successful in keeping them out.

Yo Mil, you should make a guide for Raven or something. Like, in video form in possible. Interested in picking her up but too busy with grundy and doomsday at the moment to put any serious thought into her ;_;

Yo Mil, you should make a guide for Raven or something. Like, in video form in possible. Interested in picking her up but too busy with grundy and doomsday at the moment to put any serious thought into her ;_;
Okay, but in a couple of weeks when I figure more things out. Still too early at the moment.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Right, and that's when you move in.
DeathStroke, Superman, Sinestro, etc

But yes, Raven is -20, but a Raven that spams that constantly will not be very successful in keeping them out.
Sinestro's zoning game is not even that good. Superman's is OK.

Kabal's, Kenshi's, and Freddy's zoning game is at least twice as good as anybody's in Injustice.

Sinestro's zoning game is not even that good. Superman's is OK.

Kabal's, Kenshi's, and Freddy's zoning game is at least twice as good as anybody's in Injustice.
But you have dash Block in MK.
You can't commit to a dash here because as we all know, it is not able to be canceled.

It's much more difficult at the moment to get in on zoners, the game is new.
Bottom line, I just wanted to say holding down is just an extra feature, and who knows, it may serve a bigger purpose as the game evolves or it might not.
But for people to complain and want it out, it just bugged me.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
m2dave Who do you personally think is the greatest honorable character to defeat coward zoning? Raven? Ares (lol)?
No one.

There is no Smoke in this game. Just like there is no Freddy/Kenshi in this game.

I genuinely believe there are only two full screen zoning characters in Injustice. Everyone else has to play footsies sooner or later.

Is Batman's dive kick still not an overhead in the full version? Almost every single aerial move is, including projectiles.

With that being said holding down to block is fine.

Lol could you imagine the Joker doing a cross up, low chattering teeth and doing a doing a same side overhead? At least down to block eliminates one of these options. Plus it's a pretty unique. mechanic.

McNasty

Moist.
the easy mode crouch tech is a lifesaver for someone like me still working on the back to block mechanic in general. Not to mention how important space control is with the great zoning tools and especially meter burn versions that have a lot of push back.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler

Deathstrokes projectiles recover quicker, the frame data is incorrect on them on block

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
No one.

There is no Smoke in this game. Just like there is no Freddy/Kenshi in this game.

I genuinely believe there are only two full screen zoning characters in Injustice. Everyone else has to play footsies sooner or later.
Hey dave , dont forget that two of the best zoners in mk were dlc characters ;p lets wait for injustice DLCs ;p

So after testing , still aquaman main ?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator

That's true for some attacks, but the frame data for almost every move that hits multiple times is wrong. So Deathstroke's gunshots, GL's minigun etc, all wrong. It lists the frames from the first hit; but you actually only have the time from the last hit to punish, which is a much smaller window or actually semi-safe in some cases.

Everyone thinks all the zoning attacks in the game are -infinity on block because of the frame data.. But in several cases, it's incorrect.

Anyway.. Carry on.