What's new

My initial Thoughts of Full MK PS3 Version from a MK + SF Lover. Minor Spoilers...

Taken from my Website www.ceogaming.org.(PS Mortal Kombat 9 is an official tournament at CEO 2011 Fighting Game Championships. There will be a 1v1 Singles Tournament and also a 2v2 Team Tournament with 4 human players. So practice up with a friend you trust :).)

My Initial Thoughts about Mortal Kombat 9 Full PS3 Version

Quick Backstory, Before Street Fighter Competitively in the early 90’s I was more of a Mortal Kombat player since day one. Fast Forward to Cvs2 from Capcom being my first real SF competitive game. And with SF4 being my favorite tourney fighter I have a lot of experience in appreciating fighting games as a competitor and a straight up gamer. So take that for what it’s worth when reading my thoughts on MK9.Currently I'm a Tournament Organizer in charge of one of the Largest Fighting Game tournaments on the East Coast and I'm really going to push MK9 and really hope it gets the respect I think it deserves.

I’m just gonna flat out say it, this game is the best Mortal Kombat since Part 2 BAR NONE imho. Just gonna run though the fun stuff first. Minor Spoilers ahead…

The Story Mode is AMAZING. It takes all of the best storylines and plot elements from the history of Mortal Kombat and molds it all together. Definitely worth playing through right away. With that said Quan Chi is an unlockable character which I haven’t unlocked yet, but the story mode has a lot of cameos from other characters so keep an eye out.

Every Character so far has 2 fatalities a Pit and a Babality. Stipulations are back, To perform a Babality it has to be the final Round of the match. Didn’t seem to have any button restrictions and every character has a unique Babality animation.

Under Moves list only one fatality is shown by default. Either perform another fatality(If you see it online or a strategy guide) or finisher and it will then show up and stay there over the ??? or buy it in the krypt and it’ll also unlock in your moves list.

Krypt is Huge, I’ve bought up about 25% of stuff already with everything being Fatality codes, Art, and Music so far. There are alternate costumes you randomly unlock throughout the game.

The Challenge Tower will take you weeks to complete. I’m only at challenge 30 after about 2 hours of time in it. It’s a great mode and has some cool gimmicks that aren’t overly cheesy.

4 Player 2v2 Mode with 4 Human players is the most fun to ever hit a fighting game period. I’m sure it’s been in lesser known games before, but it works really really well in MK9. Both characters have to lose all their life to lose a round so someone can just hog and fight until they die then their partner come finish the round. Still very early but I’m sure there’s potential for great tag tactics and assists. No way to snap in an opponent’s partner and life does not regenerate. Hopefully you won’t have 4 people using a stick since PS3 only has 2 usb Ports lol. Wireless controllers could pose a problem for big tournaments for PS3 Pad Players.

Character wise from a tournament standpoint. I really think this is a mostly well balanced game from 10 hours of playing and just initial assumptions. Of course there’s so much to be seen in high level play and I can’t wait for it. But the sheer enjoyment of playing and watching this game is gonna be extremely high at tournaments. I just hope it’s not overshadowed cause NetherRealm really did an amazing job on this game.

Capcom should take note on all the amazing one player modes in this game.

So far personally I’m really digging and seeing a lot of play from Kung Lao, Sindel, Smoke and Knightwolf. I think Sheeva is one of the worst characters in the game.

Unless a certain character has a teleporting attack, fireball abusers can really zone out characters without said attacks to get around fireball spam.

Online mode I couldn't find any opponent obviously but you can even go online and fight co-op with someone in the same room as you(Not online co-op but more of a you and a friend go online and play another team of 2). Had quite a few modes and options so I see a lot of replay value.

About the PDP Stick. It’s an amazing piece of work and very well built, but with that said, it is the biggest Arcade stick on the market and not practical at all for traveling players to take to tournaments. As a Diehard Street Fighter player I can only ever use a Arcade stick such as the Madcatz TE for Street Fighter games, but with MK it’s different, you can be very comfortable on a PlayStation pad and still have great execution.

So do I think the PDP stick is worth buying, I think so if you buy it with the game for 150 total, but as a standalone I can’t really recommend it on the fact that you can’t really travel anywhere with it comfortably.

Other Tourney Tidbits from an organizers standpoint. Just pray a lot of people stick to the default button setup 1. It might slow things down when people have to switch the presets then switch back. Should be a standard 4 different setup saved to every console and people should know them ahead of time hopefully.

Overall I really really recommend this game, and I don't think I'll be surprised when all the gaming websites review it and give it 90% or higher scores. MvC3 was clearly a rushed game to meet a deadline. MK9 was definitely not rushed. NeatherRealm Studios and the MK team put so much thought into this game that if you were on the fence of them making another bad MK game you will be pleasantly surprised. This game is a MUST BUY for anyone who's ever enjoyed Mortal Kombat. Hopefully they don't go overboard with too much DLC since it''s been announced there will be DLC fatalities and DLC Characters.

Feel free to leave any questions or comments below and I’ll be glad to answer them.

The game seems very /too teleport and juggle centric. The characters lack a unique 'feel', with the 'look' of their respective moves being the only distinguishing factor. The bosses (the only seemingly unique-ish characters) only being playable in a limited capacity, accentuates this 'same-same-y' feel also. The Tower 'reward' is a joke and a middle finger raised to fans after all the hyper surrounding it. The mini games are only worthwhile on their hardest difficulties as easer 'Test Yours...' are pointless.

Overall, the game is indeed better than most past MK's, gameplay-wise; but what does that amount too in real terms when most past MKs have been joke fighters?

7/10 IMO.