What's new

My gameplay assumptions

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi,

From reading and listening to all the gameplay information I can assume one thing for sure.

This game will be imbalanced on character to character, judging from designs of certain characters (the flash for example) but made incredibly balanced only through arena choices.

Areans are a huge part of the character it seems, certain characters also use certain parts of arenas better than others, this means, we will already be set out with heavy advantages to who ever has the stage select advantage at high level or tournaments.

Not only will you have a character that heavily counters another character, but you will also have an arena of preference enhance your options and safety of that match up.

Does anyone else have any thoughts over this? I tend to think a lot about my choices and options, so I have a feeling this game will not let me down, from what little i know so far.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
If it has a strong zoner that doesn't look like a burnt pedophile I'll be happy
I'm sorry man, but the flash's actual design, will automatically make him a character that will completly null and void your footsie game, he is all speed, there will be a nomad dash type move, most likely as powerful as flash's dash in MKvsDC.

Enenra

Go to hell.
I'm sorry man, but the flash's actual design, will automatically make him a character that will completly null and void your footsie game, he is all speed, there will be a nomad dash type move, most likely as powerful as flash's dash in MKvsDC.
I was spared of MKvDC. I hope this time around NRS will learn from Kabal and Flash and balance it more.

Don't make them suck, I like the Flash, just make him balanced.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I'm really optimistic that they can make unique and original movesets for each character and make it balanced. MK9 was a bold attempt at it, as no MK character has much similarity to another, and it really didn't turn out that bad. They can improve on it, and with a good team of testers (including previously-unknown great players in their prospect pool) I really think it can work.

They know they fucked up with MKvsDC, but they didn't care about these kinds of things much at the time. Since MK9, they do.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Hi,

From reading and listening to all the gameplay information I can assume one thing for sure.

This game will be imbalanced on character to character, judging from designs of certain characters (the flash for example) but made incredibly balanced only through arena choices.

Areans are a huge part of the character it seems, certain characters also use certain parts of arenas better than others, this means, we will already be set out with heavy advantages to who ever has the stage select advantage at high level or tournaments.

Not only will you have a character that heavily counters another character, but you will also have an arena of preference enhance your options and safety of that match up.

Does anyone else have any thoughts over this? I tend to think a lot about my choices and options, so I have a feeling this game will not let me down, from what little i know so far.
Where are you getting this info? I would like to research more about the game. Do you have a link or something I can check out ?

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
How does it getting away from zoning make it more competitive when games like sf and kof have been about zoning for years until recently where people seem to wanna just go in without thinking of positioning, or anything else. I think It should incorporate all types of play, like zoning, rushdown, grapplers, fundamental, mix-up, spacing characters. I dont have high hopes for this though. I've always been kinda negative about new games as of late 06

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The stages now are destructives, something that will possibly made to the next Mk installment, i like it, i'll see how this development grows and if it finds worth it, maybe i'll buy it.

PND i2 Gaug3

NERF Everything, LEAVE Nothing
Where are you getting this info? I would like to research more about the game. Do you have a link or something I can check out ?
From the videos available couldn't you realize that much its gonna be bare options that you will need to consider for each character matchups and stages into the mix

Sent from the PND Haters Ball

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
My assumption is that the stage gimmicks will be useless in high level play, mostly just easily blocked one shot attacks with potentially bad recovery, and even if you do land them, they will do like 15% damage and you won't be able to combo off them.

I think the stage transitions will be really awesome, but be a bit repetitive and long, so if there is an option to turn them off, people probably will for tournaments.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
The DLC characters for MK9 proves they knew what they were doing when it comes to character design, minus the gratuitous armor on Kenshi, so I have high hopes for the character design, especially the Joker and Harley Quinn.

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker
Like i have heard many things that you have said that were intelligent that just wasn't one of them. If anything this game needs to focus on more defensive options that would be able to balance out what characters that would be inevitably be more powerful without a option like that. I'm not talking about combo breakers or advancing guard type of defensive options either. If anything the game needs to focus upon being more MK9-ish while actually making every character have the proper tools to compete.

In MK9 im gonna be honest characters win this game not players. Good players with Good characters dominate. anyone past under the top 15 have little chances of really going all the way simply because of how the the top 15 can either pressure them to death, have amazing armor, safe rushdown, ect. The risk/ reward for the top 15 is drastically imbalanced for the top 15 compared to the the lower 15. The game needs to people to actually put time into it, and not have easy win characters which there will inevitably be cause there is no such thing as a perfectly balanced game but with a defensive option that could counter what is going on offensively. Look at Darkstlakers not a very balanced game, but its one of the few games that have a great defensive option that allows the characters to compete b/c they even though on paper should be getting shat on they have something that could equal playing field when being pressured.

That's my opinion though, and I realize it may be wrong, or that people may not like a slower paced game where rushdown isn't the only way to win, or they can't have thier 3 frame fadc-able reversal/free mix-ups but todays fighting games need that if you fuck up your gonna die factor instead of the you can make mistakes cause your character says you can thing that's been popular since sf4 came out. MK9 was a great start on that by not having a strong comeback factor. NRS needs to continue and improve upon what they started.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I suggest waiting for actual gameplay footage and comments from people who are not Boon or generic game journalists.

Either way, like every other game that has stage differences, the tournament standard will likely be random stage.