What's new

My first Tournament Experience

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
So after being a member of TYM for the past two and a half years I finally decided, or should I say was able to attend a tournament. The cards just fell into place perfectly and everything worked out. For the past 9 months I had been bugging my girlfriend about taking me to one. She has a car I don't. We both work full time, and she's in school full time. We live in Alabama, and even though both of our families are in Cobb/Douglas county respectively it's still kind of hard to just take off. I want this post to either encourage or inspire anyone who's on the fence about attending a tournament. I'm going to tell you about how it worked for me, and hopefully it can work for you too. So the name of the Atlanta scene is AKA. I asked PIG when the next meeting was and he said something to the affect of Reno would be a better person to ask. I wound up exchanging numbers with Reno, and after I missed the chance to go during thanksgiving I was able to make it this past Thursday. Which by the way is cool that he has these things at his house. Really nice guy.

I got my little brother to drive me. It was a good 38 minutes, but Atlanta is a big city. You're usually driving at least 25 minutes to get somewhere anyway. So I get there and his wife was really nice also. He brings me to the basement. It's MK figurines that look super cool. He had this life size reptile poster. MK Flag... a bunch of monitor setups. Everything just blew me away! He even had a BIG TV that displayed the stream channel with the stream monster comments lol. That made me kind of nervous, but luckily for me I didn't play on stream. I wasn't ready for that. Elite Gooba was the first one there. We played a couple of casuals. I got bodied free. First thing I noticed was online & offline are TWO DIFFERENT worlds! The timing & competition are two entirely different beast. Also something to note is that even if you play with the default button layout make sure to remember what your buttons are because in person people play with different custom setups, and when they pick theirs it could affect yours. For example Goomba played on a stick. He used button layout 1. Me not knowing any better... I used 2 thinking it wasn't a difference, but it was lol. He wound up just letting me use 1 and him picking 2. Just a little note for when you go to your first one. After playing Goomba for a second Reno told me to expect to get bodied, but to not be down about it. I'm playing people that train together every week. Look at it as a learning experience which I did. I was just happy to be playing against people that weren't online lol. So Reno is still setting things up as more people start to show up. Blackula Saltface Jim lee RTD PIG Wound Cowboy Smarr... these are just the names I can remember off the top of my head. There was this tall black guy there in a black jacket that I played a long set with too, but unfortunately I cant remember his name to save my life. Everyone was super cool though! Everybody. Reno even invited us to eat upstairs. He didn't have to do that. That was nice of him. Smarr got there a little later, but I think he set up the bracket. My first match was against this guy using Green Lantern. I don't remember his name, but I was super nervous even though I had just played a long set just a couple minutes before. I wound up losing try to put him in a corner teeth into MB F3 setup, but he MB F3 and won lmfao. It was a good match. I used Joker against him. I was now in losers. My next match was against Goomba. Now let me say that I was mentally prepared to fight his Lex, even though I seen him using wonder woman again Blackula. When he picked her against me I didn't know what to do. He bodied my Joker FREE. I picked Batman the next match, and same thing happened. I was done. I spent the rest of my time there just looking at PIG & Wound commentate. Jim Lee really had a good night. I didn't get a chance to stay after the tournament because I had asked my brother to take me back to Alabama to get my check the next morning and it nearing 12:30 am. I do plan on going back as much as possible though. I hope to have my car no later than March. Soon as that happens I'll be at every AKA. I'll take off every Thursday if I have to. I see now more than ever that this is what I want to do. It's become more than a hobby for me. I love it. With enough training and leveling up with the AKA scene I'm positive I can become a force to be reckoned with a tournaments.

Here's my main points.
1. If you can please attend tournaments! It's helps expand the scene, and you'll become a lot better.
2. Be prepared to get bodied!
3. I can't speak for every scene in every city, but the guys at AKA were all really cool and nice people. ( I didn't have a fan out moment when I met Pig haha) I heard someone walk through the door, and heard someone yell out PIG, but I didn't look back even though I wanted to. I was super cool about meeting dude. He walked up behind and spoke. Nice guy.
4. If you have controllers, and or converters bring them.
5. Shout out to every one that was there. I was a fly on the wall. Quiet and just taking it all in. I plan on coming back and making a name for myself.
6. Reno has some humongous plans for the FGC. I guess he'll make his plans public on his own time, but when it happens it's going to change things for the better! Much respect that man and his dream.
7. I'm making a promise to myself that I'm actually going to use Joker in Tournaments. I'll only use Batman for his super horrible match ups. My first match gave me the confidence to do so.

Seriously man if you have the money to do it travel and go to tournaments. This was just a local, but I'm going to Final Round 17 in March too. I need ALOT more leveling up before that though.

AK Reno_Racks
AK rtd
AK Pig Of The Hut
AK Smarrgasm
AK elitegoomba
AK SaltFace

I don't know everyone's TYM name lol. Shout out to you guys again though! The whole scene. I really enjoyed myself. You guys made it a very pleasurable experience. Honestly man just being able to come play with yu guys was the best Christmas gift in a long time lol. See you sooner than later.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Glad to hear you got to go to your First Tournament. Its always exciting to go to your first one. I remember at my first i played against KDZ. I got Destroyed but sitll had an amazing time.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Checking this thread out since you piqued my interest, haha. This is a nice writeup. ATL is lucky to have Reno, and everyone is lucky to have each other.

Also, respect for anybody with the courage to play Joker :cool:

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
You better keep playing Joker!!! :p
Good shit on making it out to a local. They are great for the scene, great to level up at, and just a good time all around.
And as always, if you wanna talk Joker matchups, you know where to find us.:joker:

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
So after being a member of TYM for the past two and a half years I finally decided, or should I say was able to attend a tournament. The cards just fell into place perfectly and everything worked out. For the past 9 months I had been bugging my girlfriend about taking me to one. She has a car I don't. We both work full time, and she's in school full time. We live in Alabama, and even though both of our families are in Cobb/Douglas county respectively it's still kind of hard to just take off. I want this post to either encourage or inspire anyone who's on the fence about attending a tournament. I'm going to tell you about how it worked for me, and hopefully it can work for you too. So the name of the Atlanta scene is AKA. I asked PIG when the next meeting was and he said something to the affect of Reno would be a better person to ask. I wound up exchanging numbers with Reno, and after I missed the chance to go during thanksgiving I was able to make it this past Thursday. Which by the way is cool that he has these things at his house. Really nice guy.

I got my little brother to drive me. It was a good 38 minutes, but Atlanta is a big city. You're usually driving at least 25 minutes to get somewhere anyway. So I get there and his wife was really nice also. He brings me to the basement. It's MK figurines that look super cool. He had this life size reptile poster. MK Flag... a bunch of monitor setups. Everything just blew me away! He even had a BIG TV that displayed the stream channel with the stream monster comments lol. That made me kind of nervous, but luckily for me I didn't play on stream. I wasn't ready for that. Elite Gooba was the first one there. We played a couple of casuals. I got bodied free. First thing I noticed was online & offline are TWO DIFFERENT worlds! The timing & competition are two entirely different beast. Also something to note is that even if you play with the default button layout make sure to remember what your buttons are because in person people play with different custom setups, and when they pick theirs it could affect yours. For example Goomba played on a stick. He used button layout 1. Me not knowing any better... I used 2 thinking it wasn't a difference, but it was lol. He wound up just letting me use 1 and him picking 2. Just a little note for when you go to your first one. After playing Goomba for a second Reno told me to expect to get bodied, but to not be down about it. I'm playing people that train together every week. Look at it as a learning experience which I did. I was just happy to be playing against people that weren't online lol. So Reno is still setting things up as more people start to show up. Blackula Saltface Jim lee RTD PIG Wound Cowboy Smarr... these are just the names I can remember off the top of my head. There was this tall black guy there in a black jacket that I played a long set with too, but unfortunately I cant remember his name to save my life. Everyone was super cool though! Everybody. Reno even invited us to eat upstairs. He didn't have to do that. That was nice of him. Smarr got there a little later, but I think he set up the bracket. My first match was against this guy using Green Lantern. I don't remember his name, but I was super nervous even though I had just played a long set just a couple minutes before. I wound up losing try to put him in a corner teeth into MB F3 setup, but he MB F3 and won lmfao. It was a good match. I used Joker against him. I was now in losers. My next match was against Goomba. Now let me say that I was mentally prepared to fight his Lex, even though I seen him using wonder woman again Blackula. When he picked her against me I didn't know what to do. He bodied my Joker FREE. I picked Batman the next match, and same thing happened. I was done. I spent the rest of my time there just looking at PIG & Wound commentate. Jim Lee really had a good night. I didn't get a chance to stay after the tournament because I had asked my brother to take me back to Alabama to get my check the next morning and it nearing 12:30 am. I do plan on going back as much as possible though. I hope to have my car no later than March. Soon as that happens I'll be at every AKA. I'll take off every Thursday if I have to. I see now more than ever that this is what I want to do. It's become more than a hobby for me. I love it. With enough training and leveling up with the AKA scene I'm positive I can become a force to be reckoned with a tournaments.

Here's my main points.
1. If you can please attend tournaments! It's helps expand the scene, and you'll become a lot better.
2. Be prepared to get bodied!
3. I can't speak for every scene in every city, but the guys at AKA were all really cool and nice people. ( I didn't have a fan out moment when I met Pig haha) I heard someone walk through the door, and heard someone yell out PIG, but I didn't look back even though I wanted to. I was super cool about meeting dude. He walked up behind and spoke. Nice guy.
4. If you have controllers, and or converters bring them.
5. Shout out to every one that was there. I was a fly on the wall. Quiet and just taking it all in. I plan on coming back and making a name for myself.
6. Reno has some humongous plans for the FGC. I guess he'll make his plans public on his own time, but when it happens it's going to change things for the better! Much respect that man and his dream.
7. I'm making a promise to myself that I'm actually going to use Joker in Tournaments. I'll only use Batman for his super horrible match ups. My first match gave me the confidence to do so.

Seriously man if you have the money to do it travel and go to tournaments. This was just a local, but I'm going to Final Round 17 in March too. I need ALOT more leveling up before that though.

AK Reno_Racks
AK rtd
AK Pig Of The Hut
AK Smarrgasm
AK elitegoomba
AK SaltFace

I don't know everyone's TYM name lol. Shout out to you guys again though! The whole scene. I really enjoyed myself. You guys made it a very pleasurable experience. Honestly man just being able to come play with yu guys was the best Christmas gift in a long time lol. See you sooner than later.
Man it was really awesome to finally meet you and this write up was awesome

You've provided a lot of insight and encouragement for others looking to attend scenes

Please stay in touch and come by and hang anytime !!!!