What's new

My first PDP Stick mod

I made the jump and got a new joystick and buttons for my PDP stick. This was my first time tearing something like this apart so I thought I'd post pictures and my thoughts for other amateur modders.

I got all the parts today from the good ole USPS, bought from paradisearcade.com. Yes the bottom left is chocolate they sent me!

Step 1: Removed the box, easy enough only 8 screws.

Step 2: Removed the dust cover, lost count of screws.

Step 3: Took apart the Joystick. This was a little tricky, i used a flat screwdriver to pry off the end and the stick shot out the bottom, forgot it was spring loaded. Carefully took the switches off. I left the bracket on since they are both the same and I didn't want to tear into the case itself to get that out.

Step 4: I got caught up changing out the buttons, but my method was to remove the switch, drop the button, put the new button in, and replace the wires one at a time. Those quick connects aren't too easy to take off even with a pliers.

Step 5: All done! I put in 4 screws to hold the dust cover on and did a quick button check before full reassembly just in case something didn't work.

All in all it took about 90 minutes. All the screws made things really tedious and the quick connects were difficult to work with otherwise I could have had this done in 30 minutes or less. I also took a few minutes to look up how the joystick was put together because it looked a little complex to me.

Hope you guys enjoyed this, and I apologize for not showcasing more than how to use a screwdriver and a pliers. The new stick feels really sensitive and the buttons activate just looking at them so hopefully I can get used to them quickly. Now I just need to finish researching how to construct a hitbox and I can start another more complex project for you guys!

Tim Static

Adminerator
I have buttons for both 1 MK9 PDP and 1 of the retro PDP's, and i have the black and red IL's on pre-order to match. Cant wait to make my PDP's feel like my machine gun (aka AIAB) :headbang:

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
If anyone is curious, taking that last plastic piece of the stick off, like in step 3 of the process shown here, like if you are going to try to put a sanwa in or something, is a giant pain in the ass. Those screws are not meant to come out. I got mine off last night but had to resort to a hack saw and physical strength. Be prepared for a headache.

hamjay711, this is great. I used your post as reference when doing my mods all week :)

Thanks Johnny! I've been paying a lot of attention to your mod too. Is there any chance you could post some pics of the underside of your stick for my reference? I'm on the hitbox waiting list of doom, and I'm thinking I can just take out the cherry switches and drop the stick so I can get a more traditional layout. I'd also look at using the LB for jump and adding it back somewhere else.

doomfarmer

unorthodox
My new stick and buttons should be coming in the mail by friday. I've never replaced anything like this before. If anyone else has any more tips about doing this feel free to leave some advice for me...

Sounds like hamjay decided to "wing it" and his turned out good, so I think I should be okay.

Yes all IL parts. I spent a good hour just examining the wiring and buttons (having never seen an arcade push button alone) to see if it looked like something I could easily undo if I messed up. As long as you go button by button so you don't connect the buttons to the wrong inputs, you should be very fine. My next project (if I find the time in the 15 free hours I get a week) is going to be a homebrewed hitbox.