What's new

General/Other - Scorpion My first impressions about MKX and Scorpion

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hey everyone, as you guys know we're in about 2 days of street release, and yes i can finally confirm you, that Angola too managed to have the game before the Street Date, and some of us locked themselves inside the house with nails, barricades, alarm systems, lasers, eletrofences, warned the family to not look for us, and everyone is hitting a lab week not caring who has and doesn't have the game at this point.

So i can finally give you my first impressions of the game, and who i have been playing since i touched the game.

The first thing i noticed, and i'm sure you guys will, is movement, the controllers are so responsive, but it will take some time to become a really dynamic player, props to the Fatal 8 who gave us a great presentation in two days with the game short.

Running and cancelling with precision will take some time, but will be highly required, a lot of stings are negative on block be carefull when throwing out there, MKX input windows are much thighter than MK9, if youre relaxed doing a string into a special it might drop before you finish the string, or before you connect the special.

But those are peculiar things that will be overcomed in short days or not, the real challenge will be the exploration of the meta game, the game heavily relies on footsies, most attacks seems to have a good chunk of recovery frames, MITDJT punishing things fullscreen with EX teleport is a legit thing, i'm already asking myself how much buttons will be pressed in evo days, the game doesn't play like MK9, doesn't play like Injustice, it plays like MKX, everyone challenge in this game now is how fast you can become a dynamic player, if you saw Sonic Fox and MIT, PL, Ryan Hart and Tyrant, that is what a dynamic player is.

I will not talk about further general game mechanics from this point torwards, because there is a LOT going on, from air to ground, and i want you guys to feel it in your fingers, altho so far i've tried, Johnny Cage, Erron Marksman and trolled smith with riffle shots and caltrops to stop him from comming while trash talking and trolling saying things like "i'm with the Zoning academy fool", i realized how hard is to be trying different characters this earlier, so i will focus initially in 2, Scorpion who is definitely my main character, and i'm still undecided between Kenshi and Takeda, i've tried both and enjoyed playing with both characters a lot.

I'm not necessarily discarding Cassie and Johnny C Right now, but i have to get familiar with the game before i pick a roster of.. 3x4 = 12 characters at disposal.

Lol at cage's F3 being named "Dizzy Knee" hahahah.

As you may or not know, i've been playing Scorpion, but man no character in this game is easy to pick, and what variation might feel easier for you might feel harder for me.

The go variation for me 100% is Inferno, while MIT is Ninjutsu mostly, but i'm sure he will agree, both of us found really hard to use Hellfire, i think some of you might find around similar problems, so i figure that variations will cover playstyle weakness of people who picks them.

I have no proper idea of how to use hellfire yet, yes it has all the same strings Inferno has, but using fireball, flame aura and demon fire is a challenge, i came across trying to reset character from 2, 1 string juggle... into hellfire and having a fireball coming out due the input timing be equaly thigh with buffer in the strings

If that doesn't change for the community,we could try to talk to Colt so the input command to be changed from DB1 into BD1, because as for now i feel like is having a conflict with demon fire since both are DB.

Scorpion has some really good mobility in this game, in the right hands he is a really nice character, but sometimes you will feel helpless too when you get knocked down or locked, but he has an amazing range control, a good float jump and a decent walkspeed,

214 is his best string to start combos and punishing moves that lands too close on him when blocked.

B3~ spear can be tougher to connect, but are things in the game standing 2 doesn'treach even when those moves are punishable on block with a slight pushback, sometimes B3 will cover that.
123 felt really hard to connect in sitiations where i really nedded, i haven't tested if 12~spear is a true combo link.
B2 has different roles, in Ninjutsu is one of the most used, because the juggle window is more relaxed, also give scorpion extended range to punish moves midscreen on every whiff because this move has a wider hitbox, a scorpion player with good reflexes will make your life miserable by not letting you jump at thim at all, its also kind of annoying to punish this regularly without an advancing fast normal or special, so max ranged upslashes might be pseudo-safe.

In Hellfire and Inferno the role of this move changes, its safe even upclose and you can bait out strings with backdash, but it has much less range, and less active frames, hitting characters on ground allows socrpion to sneak a teleport on a really thigh window to perform a regular bnbs from it, but when it hits characters in the air, it sometimes gives you time to run into it and do a high damaging combo, or jump kick into tele combos.

To me, i still believe this is one of his key normals in the game, i've used against characters running towards me, but haven't converted the damage it offers due the thight window.

His D4 is an excelent low profile move, goes under highs and pushes them away from scorpion

EX spear can be MBurned in all 3 variations resulting into the Hellish Spear, smith said he couldn't break those,but spend two bars.
NJP in Ninjutsu has extended range.

Hellfire Specials.

Those are hard, not to execute, but to find out the roles of each move in the match is what makes this variation harder for me, i confess i'm this weak using hellfire now, that the only thing coming for me is the use of flame aura.

Flame aura sets scorpion on fire and he will deal damage overtime into his opponents, Flame aura combo window is incredibly thigh, and if scorpion gets touched by a hit the aura disappears.

Ex Flame Aura, has a wider hitbox and can anti-air characters out of the air just by aproaching the heat it provides when executed and put them in the ground for a free hit, catches players running at scorpion, it last longer than the regular version and the window for combo is much more relaxed, it also deals much more damage over time, can't remember if it disappears when he gets hit out of it.

Demon fire is a slow but unblockable special attack it doesn't track

Fire ball - can be charged and can be dash canceled.

Inferno Specials

My favorites, the minions might be slow when used single, when used fullscreen they're dangerous, upclose you can put some mixes that involves using the minions to jack some trades when they think its their time to attack, or bait the attacks with a backdash, to be fully explored.

My most favorite feature of the Inferno, is that a longer recovery attack from fullscreen can be punished by the minion, and you can throw a spear to bring them close to you instead of you running into them, sure you will do less damage by using two capture moves before juggles, but you can still do some insane stuffs from it.
Without talking that has the longest combos extender among all 3 variations.

In general i think Scorpion is awesome, and i think playing MKX won't be as easy as it was playing MK9, bonding with a character will take time, knowing matchups will take time, i already have something to discard of the table, i used to jump with 2 to do combos, in MKX scorpion Jump 2 is really hard to connect on ground characters, and doesn't autoface as J1, now i have to educate myself to jump with 1.

I've developed a training routine with him, to focus on a single variation a day and get familiar with, now we do ft10 sets, 3 sets a day, so in each set i will pick one var and will not change until its over independent of the outcome, so i can dominate this character.

In MK9 i took a day and grinded the entire roster figuring how to play and use combos with every single character in the roster, in MKX i haven't passed scorpion, you saw a machine like Tony-T dropping combos at Fatal 8, that is how hard MKX can be.

2 days left USA, just hanging in there.

Last edited:

FOXSOLID

Noob
Are you going to be playing on PS4? I'm looking to spar and learn.

This of course being if the net code is working well.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Are you going to be playing on PS4? I'm looking to spar and learn.

This of course being if the net code is working well.
Netcode is good, but internet in my country is still crap, there is no speed above 1Mbps and with 4 i'm sure the ping would be enough to play against Qwark at least.

But i'm sure we will be able to play national so there is no excuse to not use online.

FOXSOLID

Noob
Netcode is good, but internet in my country is still crap, there is no speed above 1Mbps and with 4 i'm sure the ping would be enough to play against Qwark at least.

But i'm sure we will be able to play national so there is no excuse to not use online.
Ohhh, didn't even know you weren't from USA.

It's cool though, we'll see what happens.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I have a question. Not sure if answered.
But if you capture with the minion, then why not telescape to them instead of wasting a capture?
Not sure if stamina comes back from hitting them. But it could reward damage i suppose.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I have a question. Not sure if answered.
But if you capture with the minion, then why not telescape to them instead of wasting a capture?
Not sure if stamina comes back from hitting them. But it could reward damage i suppose.
If you get hit on a trade, and you cancel a teleport afterwards to get a combo you risk not getting in time to get a punish with 0 stamina.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
If you get hit on a trade, and you cancel a teleport afterwards to get a combo you risk not getting in time to get a punish with 0 stamina.
Oh. I didnt think too far into that one. Just thought it would be an idea.
Sorry about that.