What's new

Question My Fellow Rain Players | Who do you struggle the most against?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, I use rain as one of my secondaries and more casually. Not super serious when I use him.

I have to say though, IMO KL, Mileena and Sonya really give him a hard time. Especially Mileena, her kick seems to always beat my teleport it's not as fast as Raidens...Raiden is hard too.

Abtin

My soul is yours?
@MKF30

dude rains tele is NOT safe and in fact punishable, although if you manage to catch him with d1 or whatever, it is considered an air combo which is always good but still....

Mileena's tele is not safe EVEN with the sais, i punish it after the block with 1~1, 43 bubble to whatever you want...
the only way that she can get away with a tele is to do EX tele to EX sai which is not worth it.

if she is zoning, as bodam said EX tele should do. Mileena has very good air control which always give rain some problems.

if you do get hit by the tele, she can apply more pressure after wards

her EX roll is an over head ( somee people dont know this)

if you see them going for two u4's you can uppercut or poke before the second one ( hell you can even do it at the first one)

pig of the hut has some useful information on mileenas forum about her reset ( sorry i cant remember the full details)

in my opinion its a 4.5-5.5 in her favor because of her mix ups

QUESTION:

HOW DO YOU PLAY AGAINST A GOOD NOOB SAIBOT? i can dash cancel through some shadows or EX tele but i have only 3 bars. what should i do next?how can i stay close?what strings can i punish? how to avoide his resets?can i wake up after the EX shadow knee?if i get hit by a shadow, do i HAVE TO block the next one?

tnx guys for helping me :D

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
Hello my fellow Rain player!

Hear is my two cents on the Kabal, and a bit more money to throw on the JC match up

Kabal:

Now, i describing this because i just played a very good kabal (KILLA_Lone if you see him on PSN) so he really didn't do anything like throw out random Nomad Dashes, or anything else that was like Hey! want free damage!....any who

Kabal can pretty much keep Rain in check with buzzsaws, and IAGB's ( instant air gas balls ) making this MU a bitchhhhh
Ps His buzsaw has a hitbox behind him so if you teleport you can still get hit ---.---

They way i play this match up is pretty simple because i felt it was the only thing i could do that was close to safe
1 Try to keep the meter lead ( very hard to do i know ) by using Ex Bubble

2 DON'T JUMP EVER ( unless it's a cross up, ), i know you could jump over saws, but getting hit with a IAGB, to combo/dash cancel pressure doesn't seem worth it IMO

3 Lighting checks, and teleports can be useful, but don't get to slap happy with them. Kabal can dash, to buzsaw too, and that will beat out lighting every time.

4 He can Ex Nomad dash between RH cancels, making pressure hard. The only thing i can say is mix it up,try 3 RHC, 4RHC, back 2RHC, 43, and 33.RHC

and 5 This is what is the ace in the hole IMO
The one thing i fell like Rain has over Kabal is Damage sooooo when you do get that burnt jerk, and can get off this combo, or drain enough meter to use this combo, because it dose 51% with only one bar =)

Jip 43 Ex bubble ( place the bubble right above Rain's head ), down 2, 43 lighting, RH, 43 water gun 51%

Im not saying this is the best way, just they way that worked for me after losing like 15 games straight haha

Johnny Cage!

This match up is still hell haha, but something that helped me was using down 3, and 1 as my goto pokes, because i go crazy with down f4 since you can get a 43 after it, but that seems to get raped by johnny. lots of armor helps too haha

thats all for JC ( Dont know if it's useful, but o well =) )

Hope this helps someone! Keep on Raining guys :p

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
QUESTION:

HOW DO YOU PLAY AGAINST A GOOD NOOB SAIBOT? i can dash cancel through some shadows or EX tele but i have only 3 bars. what should i do next?how can i stay close?what strings can i punish? how to avoide his resets?can i wake up after the EX shadow knee?if i get hit by a shadow, do i HAVE TO block the next one?

tnx guys for helping me :D[/quote]

From what little i know as playing Noob as my secondary

- if you get hit with one shadow you have to block the next one
- Baiting out his up knee is something that always kills me
- lighting seems pretty tradeable
- and don't forget you can empty jump shadows, and bait out teleports :D
- to avoid his reset, you can use wakeups( maybe geyser kick im not 100% on that ) or just jump the shadow.

ps I'm not a noob pro, or do i clam to be one, this is just what little i know haha

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
This is really embarrassing for me but if anyone can help me [ BookBurning Abtin @A F0xy Grandpa UsedForGlue ]

What the hell can Rain punish Baraka's Blade Charge with?
I was thinking B2-RH but I'm not sure if this is the best/most safest option.

Also, any ideas on the Reptile & Kung Lao fight?
I've been trying to punish Reptile's Dash with 3~RH; is this Rain's best option? Never block low I take it unless you smell a Low Slide coming? ...Or am I all wrong about this? Kung Lao; on the other hand just gives me fits. Armored dashes? Do I block low? I have a hard time here.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Well, I use rain as one of my secondaries and more casually. Not super serious when I use him.

I have to say though, IMO KL, Mileena and Sonya really give him a hard time. Especially Mileena, her kick seems to always beat my teleport it's not as fast as Raidens...Raiden is hard too.
One thing I'll tell you against Mileena; if you're playing as Rain -- just 4-3~RH her Teledrop if she doesn't follow up with a Sai. If she does just standing-1 into 1~4-3~whatever (I like Bubble or Lightning). Punish every Ball Roll with 4-3-Roundhouse Kick or B2, 1+2~Bubble for good damage.

Abtin

My soul is yours?
One thing I'll tell you against Mileena; if you're playing as Rain -- just 4-3~RH her Teledrop if she doesn't follow up with a Sai. If she does just standing-1 into 1~4-3~whatever (I like Bubble or Lightning). Punish every Ball Roll with 4-3-Roundhouse Kick or B2, 1+2~Bubble for good damage.
Does she have some kind of frame trap? she does that :bp,:fk move to tele and you have to block it?

MKF30

Abtin, yeah dude I know his teleport isn't safe but it is rather useful when used wisely, my beef was some moves in the game such as Mileena's teleport apparently track you, which I hate...it pretty much makes teleports useless when that happens. Online if she does the sais she's more often safe then now, offline I'm sure it's different story. I definitely think though that it's 6-4 Mileena if not more against Rain, it's just a hard match up for him imo.

Yeah, I've noticed if she does the normal telep on block, that's good I've also done the lightning right after that but if she does the ex version it's a pain lol. I wish his teleport was a tad faster. I rarely if ever use his B2, 1+2. I prefer his 12, F+4, repeat into lighting, bubble combos etc or his 43 bubble as you stated . If it's laggy though and sometimes she can't be countered, I play it safe with his hop kick. That is one of my fav moves, especially on wake up.

Abtin

My soul is yours?
Abtin, yeah dude I know his teleport isn't safe but it is rather useful when used wisely, my beef was some moves in the game such as Mileena's teleport apparently track you, which I hate...it pretty much makes teleports useless when that happens. Online if she does the sais she's more often safe then now, offline I'm sure it's different story. I definitely think though that it's 6-4 Mileena if not more against Rain, it's just a hard match up for him imo.

Yeah, I've noticed if she does the normal telep on block, that's good I've also done the lightning right after that but if she does the ex version it's a pain lol. I wish his teleport was a tad faster. I rarely if ever use his B2, 1+2. I prefer his 12, F+4, repeat into lighting, bubble combos etc or his 43 bubble as you stated . If it's laggy though and sometimes she can't be countered, I play it safe with his hop kick. That is one of my fav moves, especially on wake up.

yeah man.if its laggy then good luck punishing the normal tele. she has such good air control. i feel like her tele follows you, i cant escape it. but if i were you, i would definetly give b2, 1+2 a chance, i punish the jump ins with it( just dash back and do it). it not fast but the hit box is ENORMOUS and makes up for it. beside its his only over head.
Up close you can cancel b2 to round house dash cancel for mix ups ( i do it and it throws people off) also b2 b3 is really fast.
1,2,f+4 can be pokes out of , since the first punch can be dodged ( beside because of negative edge if you notice that tey jump out after12 and want to do a round house after 12 most of the times it comes out of 12 lightning( can be fixed though !!! ) )

i do 43 RHC (round house cancel) to 4 RHC and then 4 round house
or 4 RHC to b2 b3, once they respect your b2 b3 you can cancel 43 RHC to b2 1+2, this way if they jump away they are going to get hit not to mention again, its an over head.

i think i the most damage you can get out of her tele EVEN if she does the sais is to do 1~~~1, 43 bubble to what ever.....
YOU ARE right, the EX tele is a bitch to punish online, i wont even bother with it, but for the record, you can punish with d1 to 43 bubble,43 lightning to aqua splash or 43 tele for oki setups.

MKF30

yeah man.if its laggy then good luck punishing the normal tele. she has such good air control. i feel like her tele follows you, i cant escape it. but if i were you, i would definetly give b2, 1+2 a chance, i punish the jump ins with it( just dash back and do it). it not fast but the hit box is ENORMOUS and makes up for it. beside its his only over head.
Up close you can cancel b2 to round house dash cancel for mix ups ( i do it and it throws people off) also b2 b3 is really fast.
1,2,f+4 can be pokes out of , since the first punch can be dodged ( beside because of negative edge if you notice that tey jump out after12 and want to do a round house after 12 most of the times it comes out of 12 lightning( can be fixed though !!! ) )

i do 43 RHC (round house cancel) to 4 RHC and then 4 round house
or 4 RHC to b2 b3, once they respect your b2 b3 you can cancel 43 RHC to b2 1+2, this way if they jump away they are going to get hit not to mention again, its an over head.

i think i the most damage you can get out of her tele EVEN if she does the sais is to do 1~~~1, 43 bubble to what ever.....
YOU ARE right, the EX tele is a bitch to punish online, i wont even bother with it, but for the record, you can punish with d1 to 43 bubble,43 lightning to aqua splash or 43 tele for oki setups.
Yeah, good air control is an understatement with her lol. Yeah, perhaps I'll try that more in the future, he does have the B2, 3 which is good up close since it's so fast at times but not saying that's good for a punisher lol. I just like using that for my own game. Yeah, I forget how the negative edge works with Rain's moves. Isn't the whole point of NE reverse move tracking with certain moves in the game? Unless I'm thinking of something else lol

On other thing I've noticed (online anyway) is his 43 RH doesn't always connect online, often the 43 will but his RH will whiff which frustrates me a lot lol. I do like his enhanced RH which has armor up close can be useful. I have to play around more with him and that match up. I still think a good mileena vs. good rain, the rain player will often struggle with that match up lol but it's not in the realm of impossible.

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Rain seems to be the perfect counter for Mileena, at least in my experiences. Everything she can do; Rain has an answer for. I'm surprised that's not a 7/3 match-up but I suppose it isn't hopeless.

Abtin :
How do you do against her with Rain?

MKF30

I'll tell ya one thing, lol Smoke fucking schools Mileena...he's my answer to her now days ;) and I must say, I now know why...

MKF30

Us self-respecting players like to steer clear of him... ;)
lol, I may feel the same way if Mileena didn't have such an edge online and besides, Smoke isn't even top tier ;) I beat Smokes all the time with Ermac, Scorp etc lol. Just saying, sometimes you need to fight fire with fire lol.

Abtin

My soul is yours?
Rain seems to be the perfect counter for Mileena, at least in my experiences. Everything she can do; Rain has an answer for. I'm surprised that's not a 7/3 match-up but I suppose it isn't hopeless.

Abtin :
How do you do against her with Rain?
if they zone i just move forward and duck block between them in case she teleported then punish with full combo.
i dont jump that much cuz im scared of her tele, as i said before, itmay sound weird but her tele follows you around.
if i EX rund house her tele i take the hit but mt round house whiffes, if you are fast you CAN dash cancel her EX tele and punish it ( you can also uppercut which is not possible online)
as far as her u4 and the low kicks go, i never had suck problem with them, IMO they are easy to see ( her low hits might be a little harder :)

what im afraid of is a very risk taking mileena, the one that commits to the EX roll, it always messes me up.
i havelost to people that constantly jump over me, half way through her string and do a mix up or grab

but i think rain has the advantage in this match up, but not that much.Mileena is kinda fast for rain and lets not forget that rain has problem against zoners. how do you play against her?

MKF30

rain can not connect 43 to round house unless u catch them mid air, the whole point of doing a 4 to round house i that ,if they let go if the block, 4 to roundhouse WILL in fact connect and you can do a full combo.
just like 33 round house that will not connect but 3 round house does :)

BTW tom brady came up with a new tier list the other day and smoke is A tier, LOL. its hard to find good smokes now days:(

MKF30

Abtin, yeah that's what I mean the mid air lag will usually determine that I've noticed lol. But I also should practice it more. I use rain once every 20 matches maybe lol so I should probably use him more.

Where is this tier list? It always changes anyway, Smoke A tier? I find that hard to believe, unless it's because the reset. He's not that overpowering though. I use Smoke, we should play you'll see ;)

Abtin

My soul is yours?
Abtin, yeah that's what I mean the mid air lag will usually determine that I've noticed lol. But I also should practice it more. I use rain once every 20 matches maybe lol so I should probably use him more.

Where is this tier list? It always changes anyway, Smoke A tier? I find that hard to believe, unless it's because the reset. He's not that overpowering though. I use Smoke, we should play you'll see ;)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AkOCnfkQ4mX6dHRuNTNRUkNYaDBFRTFvOU1nOV9qNXc&output=html

whats your GT? im on XBL

MKF30

Just found his list, some people disagree with his list. I do with some of his match ups, I don't think Smoke is THAT good. He's good, but top 5 is a stretch just like QC and Cage aren't NEARLY that low as he has them lol, no way...QC is still deadly as long as he has that damn zune trap

I'm MKF30, xbox ;)

Abtin

My soul is yours?
This is really embarrassing for me but if anyone can help me [ BookBurning Abtin @A F0xy Grandpa UsedForGlue ]

What the hell can Rain punish Baraka's Blade Charge with?
I was thinking B2-RH but I'm not sure if this is the best/most safest option.

Also, any ideas on the Reptile & Kung Lao fight?
I've been trying to punish Reptile's Dash with 3~RH; is this Rain's best option? Never block low I take it unless you smell a Low Slide coming? ...Or am I all wrong about this? Kung Lao; on the other hand just gives me fits. Armored dashes? Do I block low? I have a hard time here.
the blade charge is safe as far as i know, but the EX one isn't, ALSO you can duck the spin and punish it

i wrote sum stuff about reptile in this thread :)
but you are doing the right thing, you should punish dash with 3 round house, but online.........
i have problems with reptile too,none of my characters are that good against reptile, making him very annoying to play against :(
he can close the distance SOOOOO fast with the dash and the jump ins, or with the forceball dash pressure.
his 321 string is SOOOO good, i dont know if i can poke, or roundhouse or jump out ( probably not)?
after he does the 321 to overhead, he immediately dashes in for more pressure.
but his only over heads are slow and not the starter so its easy to see, after his strings its a 50/50 since you cant see it coming.
but in midscreen, sure block low here and there to tell him that, you are always ready for the slide, but watch out for jump ins.you can do standing 1 after you blocked the dash IF AND ONLY IF you know they are cheap and going to cross you over after it :| ( you recover fast enough to anti air them, same with kitana's f2 starter)
but please share any anti reptile tech, cuz im awfully colse to breaking the game

kung lao is god tier.....

BookBurning

Voidwards
My brother plays Rain, he struggles against Kitana, Sonya, Kenshi, Sub-Zero and Kung Lao.
Sub-Zero in all honesty is beginning to feel like a very slow paced 5-5 as time goes on. I'm still completely open to it being 6-4 in Sub's favor but I'm no so positive anymore.

Kenshi, Sonya KL and Kitana all do well against Rain, Kenshi particularly because you can't get in on him whatsoever. Kitana I'm not so sure about, on paper it's a 6-4 in her favor but I've always had this weird hunch that it's a 5-5. I wish I was a little more in depth on why, but I don't even know yet haha.

Abtin

My soul is yours?
BookBurning , BodamEscapePlan

do you guys find sindel annoying to fight against or its just me? there is something weird about her wake up, does that over head has priority over other moves? should i even try to jump at her, or she can anti air pretty easily? how to you guys get over the fire balls?

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Abtin , BookBurning

Yeah, man...
Sindel gives me a very hard time. I haven't fought a good Sindel in awhile so I'll have to update this with a proper strategy when I remember how to fight her. All I know is that wake-up "Step-Up" move can be a real pain to deal with... I know I used to NJP it though a lot. It's really kind of hard to get the timing down but it seems to work best. Not sure what Book does.

Nemesis240

yeah that's me in a Rain costume :p
Kitana, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kabal, Kenshi
I struggle the most with Kitana! uuuuggghhhhh f2 1 launcher is a pain and d1 if i blocked it. and IAF (instant air fans) zoning can be hard. I try using naked bubbles to catch her while she does them, but her rush down overwhelms me still.

Raiden is just raiden. that teleport is so fast and he either cross over jump punches, kick combo, grabs, or supermans. sometimes ill NJP and eat his kick combo, the guessing game sucks with him.