What's new

Movement Data

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Walking Back:
How i'm i doing this?
A: I record every movement and then run on the adobe premiere, where i can set both screens to start at the same time on the exact same input, and measure by the time one starts and one ends, once i discovered the fastest walkbackwards speed (Kitana) and the fastest Walk forward( Kotal) i compared all the rest, by measuring how long i takes (frames) for the them to fully reach fullscreen after kitana reaches the goal. (it takes a lot of time)

So yes, some characters initial steps are faster, but the speed to reach fullscreen doesn't change at all, Kitana is the most notable character with initial steps covering so much ground that makes you think it can be proportional to a backdash, while Ermac and Lao barely move at all.

Character:

Kitana : 100
Liu Kang: 97
Jacqui: 96
Johnny: 93
Kenshi , Cassie: 91
Kung jin: 90
Raiden: 89
Takeda, Sonya, Reptile: 88
Goro, Kano: 87
Tanya, Mileena: 86
Sub-Zero, Tremor, Jason: 85
Scorpion, Kotal Kahn: 84
D'Vorah 83
jax, Shinnok, Erron Black: 82
F/T, Quan Chi: 81
Predador 80
lao 77
Ermac 71

Walking Forward Ranking
Kotal 100
jacqui 96
Predator 95
Kitana 94
Liu Kang 94
cassie 94
Johnny 90
Tremor 90
Kenshi 88
goro 88
Mileena 88
Takeda 88
raiden 86
Reptile 86
jax 84
Sub-Zero 84
kano 82
Sonya 82
shinnok 82
D'Vorah 82
jin 80
Tanya 80
jason 80
Quan Chi 80
Scorpion 78
Ermac 78
F/T 72
lao 66
Erron 64

Dash Forward
Reserved

Dash backwards
Reserved

Jumping Backwards
Reserved

Jumping Forward
Reserved

Optional Data:
Time left after Kitana reaches fullscreen:
Kitana: 0
Liu Kang: 3
jacqui: 4
Johnny: 7
Kenshi: 9
cassie: 9
jin: 10
raiden: 11
Takeda: 12
Sonya: 12
Reptile: 12
Goro: 13
Kano: 13
Tanya: 14
Mileena: 14
Sub-Zero: 15
Tremor: 15
jason: 15
Scorpion: 16
Kotal: 16
D'Vorah: 17
jax: 18
shinnok: 18
Erron: 18
F/T 19:
Quan Chi: 19
Predador: 20
lao: 23
Ermac: 29

Total Frames to fully walkbackwards
Kitana 52
Liu Kang 58
jacqui 60
Johnny 66
Kenshi 70
cassie 70
jin 72
raiden 74
Takeda 76
Sonya 76
Reptile 76
goro 78
kano 78
Tanya 80
Mileena 80
Sub-Zero 82
Tremor 82
jason 82
Scorpion 84
Kotal 84
D'Vorah 86
jax 88
shinnok 88
Erron 88
F/T 90
Quan Chi 90
Predador 92
lao 98
Ermac 110

@AK L0rdoftheFLY sorry for taking so long, i'm on the internet crisis again, so this is what i have for you now.
Gommenasai minna

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The internet i'm using can stop working at any moment, sorry for the mess, if you guys feel is way too messy, just ask a mod to arrange up a bit, i will post the rest next time i enter online.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Thanks eddy!

So eddy has been working on this for a long time, analyzing every characters walk and run speeds. This is a long process but he shared some data with the Tanya players a while back. This is certainly interesting data to me and I'm greatful someone is putting the time in to have it documented.

@Eddy Wang can you preface the OP with some writing that explains what your goal is with this and how you measured? Thanks homie.

@coolwhip i love eddy wang!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
An interesting mechanic MKX has is the first step of some characters is faster than the normal walk forward/backward. Is there a way to look at this also?

Aren't alot of characters walk speed slightly different at the very beginning of their walk?

Edit: It's also like this for running, if I remember correctly EB's run is slightly slower at the start while DVorah's is faster.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
I've always told people that Scorpion's walk speed is ass but of course they know better.

Also Erron's forward walk speed is the worst in the game #BuffErron

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
So Kotal and Kitana are the bars set at 100. Sub-Zero walks forward 84% as fast as Kotal. Right?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Thanks eddy!

So eddy has been working on this for a long time, analyzing every characters walk and run speeds. This is a long process but he shared some data with the Tanya players a while back. This is certainly interesting data to me and I'm greatful someone is putting the time in to have it documented.

@Eddy Wang can you preface the OP with some writing that explains what your goal is with this and how you measured? Thanks homie.

@coolwhip i love eddy wang!
I record every movement and then run on the adobe premiere, where i can set both screens to start at the same time on the exact same input, and measure by the time one starts and one ends, once i discovered the fastest walkbackwards speed (Kitana) and the fastest Walk forward( Kotal) i compared all the rest, by measuring how long i takes (frames) for the them to fully reach fullscreen after kitana/kotal reaches the goal. (it takes a lot of time)

So yes, some characters initial steps are faster, but the speed to reach fullscreen doesn't change at all, Kitana is the most notable character with initial steps covering so much ground that makes you think it can be proportional to a backdash, while Ermac and Lao barely move at all.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So Kotal and Kitana are the bars set at 100. Sub-Zero walks forward 84% as fast as Kotal. Right?
Sub is 85, Scorpion and Kotal are 84 when it comes to walk backwards

The numbers are determinted in comparision with the fastes walk, so certainly doesn't mean that sub walking forward with 84 is as fast as kotal walking backward with 84

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Wow this is amazing work man. good stuff. I would of thought Reptile was more up there on backwalk speed. He just just get that bust initially.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
Walking Back:
How i'm i doing this?
A: I record every movement and then run on the adobe premiere, where i can set both screens to start at the same time on the exact same input, and measure by the time one starts and one ends, once i discovered the fastest walkbackwards speed (Kitana) and the fastest Walk forward( Kotal) i compared all the rest, by measuring how long i takes (frames) for the them to fully reach fullscreen after kitana reaches the goal. (it takes a lot of time)

Character:

Kitana : 100
Liu Kang: 97
Jacqui: 96
Johnny: 93
Kenshi , Cassie: 91
Kung jin: 90
Raiden: 89
Takeda, Sonya, Reptile: 88
Goro, Kano: 87
Tanya, Mileena: 86
Sub-Zero, Tremor, Jason: 85
Scorpion, Kotal Kahn: 84
D'Vorah 83
jax, Shinnok, Erron Black: 82
F/T, Quan Chi: 81
Predador 80
lao 77
Ermac 71

Walking Forward Ranking
Kotal 100
jacqui 96
Predator 95
Kitana 94
Liu Kang 94
cassie 94
Johnny 90
Tremor 90
Kenshi 88
goro 88
Mileena 88
Takeda 88
raiden 86
Reptile 86
jax 84
Sub-Zero 84
kano 82
Sonya 82
shinnok 82
D'Vorah 82
jin 80
Tanya 80
jason 80
Quan Chi 80
Scorpion 78
Ermac 78
F/T 72
lao 66
Erron 64

Dash Forward
Reserved

Dash backwards
Reserved

Jumping Backwards
Reserved

Jumping Forward
Reserved

Optional Data:
Time left after Kitana reaches fullscreen:
Kitana: 0
Liu Kang: 3
jacqui: 4
Johnny: 7
Kenshi: 9
cassie: 9
jin: 10
raiden: 11
Takeda: 12
Sonya: 12
Reptile: 12
Goro: 13
Kano: 13
Tanya: 14
Mileena: 14
Sub-Zero: 15
Tremor: 15
jason: 15
Scorpion: 16
Kotal: 16
D'Vorah: 17
jax: 18
shinnok: 18
Erron: 18
F/T 19:
Quan Chi: 19
Predador: 20
lao: 23
Ermac: 29

Total Frames to fully walkbackwards
Kitana 52
Liu Kang 58
jacqui 60
Johnny 66
Kenshi 70
cassie 70
jin 72
raiden 74
Takeda 76
Sonya 76
Reptile 76
goro 78
kano 78
Tanya 80
Mileena 80
Sub-Zero 82
Tremor 82
jason 82
Scorpion 84
Kotal 84
D'Vorah 86
jax 88
shinnok 88
Erron 88
F/T 90
Quan Chi 90
Predador 92
lao 98
Ermac 110

@AK L0rdoftheFLY sorry for taking so long, i'm on the internet crisis again, so this is what i have for you now.
Gommenasai minna
great stuff eddy, i have always liked your content, i am sending over what data i have on hand, to add to yours:) hope this helps... btw whats wrong with your interent, maybe i can help?

VaderFett

Cry-o me a river!
Interesting, but seeing as people mostly run and dash everywhere, I dunno if this might be useful. I do hope it is.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
great stuff eddy, i have always liked your content, i am sending over what data i have on hand, to add to yours:) hope this helps... btw whats wrong with your interent, maybe i can help?
Its not an exact problem, is just that our current company is giving us too little for a too high price, so we decide we don't want to invest our money on their services anymore, so everyone in the house is paying the price, no internet for anyone in house, i have no communication with the outside world, currently unreachable by internet by anyone in the world unless of course on glimpses like this one, so is kinda pointless to start a discussion now since i can't follow it.
But i have stuff to talk about as i told you before by PM, a second hand might actually be good to go trough this as a whole.
Interesting, but seeing as people mostly run and dash everywhere, I dunno if this might be useful. I do hope it is.
Walkspeed is the most important data, ppl that dash and run all the time are yet to be intercepted by jabs and anti-backdashes strings which covers a good portion of the screen, by knowing how fast your character can walk either backward or forwards, it improves the usability of playing neutral game, bait out pokes, avoiding strings and so on depending of their tools, is basically the first line of defense on a footsie game.

If you see KL, he has a very slow walkspeed, that's because he has a spin, so his main game is to threat ppl to risk for trades, it works great with tempest and buzzsaw actually.

BigMacMcLovin

B2s and Birdarangs
Kudos to you Eddy. I started learning Jacqui yesterday and I thought she'd be up near the top with fastest movement.

Great work