What's new

Guide - Mournful Mournful Variation: Strategies and Combos r'Us

Hey Everyone,

NeoRussell here to bring some report about Mournful variation. I won a preday launch tournament with this variation. Seems like a fair variation but definitely could be improved.

My impression is that the variation is definitely not better than Royal Storm or Assassin. Mainly because she loses out on fan combos. The highest corner no bar combos I came up with was going on 28% only. But this is only my 2hr experience with her.

Mournful Special Move breakdown:

Glaive Throw - This is real useful on the ground but in the air, it's just good from a distance. From jump distance, if they block, they can run and punish you. The EX is great but the lack of combo potential after the glaive returns is saddening.

Shadow Kick - This move is a high. Really should only be used for as combo enders.

Staff Grab - I love this move. It hits from a distance and is a great long range tool just in care the opponent flickers when trying to get in. I use to send them to the corner.

I also found a bug about her EX Glaive:
-if you do 21 EX Glaive in the corner, it will miss 95% of the cast.
-if you do 21 EX Glaive mid screen, it will miss on women characters. Sad to miss combos on Cassie.

Things to Tweet boon about:
-This bug i found. Weird hitbox returns.
-Regarding Air Glaive, she really should fall down on the ground while the glaive is thrown and coming back. We should be able to combo after this move.

I will share combos tonight but again, 2hr Kitana. I'm sure people will find more. I'll list what I have with more testing.

Let's make this the best version of Kitana. i'm not even gonna touch the other variations. Share your thoughts.

Mournful Combos:

Basic Starters
f11
21 (I like this one)

Combo enders
Shadow Kick
Staff
f111

Mid Combos
f21, lift, move forward, neutral jump 2, f43, combo ender

Corner Combos
f22u4, float (db2), 2, 212, fan lift, f43, d1, shadow kick
f22u4, float (db2), 2, 212, fan lift, uppercut, d1, staff

EX Combos
21, ex glaive, 21, fan lift, neutral jump 2, combo ender.
21, ex glaive, f43, 21, fan lift, neutral jump 2, combo ender

A few more but these are the ones i can remember off top of my head. We'll do more testing tonight.

NeoRussell

Hitbox bug. Really hurts Mournful a lot due to the extended combo not hitting in corners or women mid screen. Need this fixed.

NeoRussell

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier

Hitbox bug. Really hurts Mournful a lot due to the extended combo not hitting in corners or women mid screen. Need this fixed.

NeoRussell
This is the kinda stuff I wonder if got missed in QA testing, or they just left it in because it would mess up a buncha other stuff.

To me this makes the variation useless.

Most damaging combo I can find mid screen, 1 bar
f11, ex glaive, f43, f43, f43, (tricky) d1, lift, (timed) 21, bf3 - 38%

I'm playing around with some run combos, seems we can be creative with her combos due to the glaive coming back.

NeoRussell

DBC

Noob
I'm new to NRS games, but I believe noticed a bug with EX Glaive. If you throw an EX immediately after throwing regular Glaive, it will not return.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I noticed this too. Seems to happen on a distance when you throw EX Glaive. I got 4th in my local tourney with Jadana. She definitely feels like a Jade.

Matches:
(57:59)
(Beginning)

2nd video got cut. I'll try to upload complete.

NeoRussell

ExoticAbuse

★Two Hands★
Most damaging combo I can find mid screen, 1 bar
f11, ex glaive, f43, f43, f43, (tricky) d1, lift, (timed) 21, bf3 - 38%

I'm playing around with some run combos, seems we can be creative with her combos due to the glaive coming back.

NeoRussell
Have you tried doing f33 instead of f11?