What's new

Most & Least Hype Characters to Watch in Tournament

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Put on your spectator hat here and forget who you love or hate to fight against when you are playing the game. Which characters do you think are the most and least hype to watch in tournament and why?

For me, the least hype is Kobu Tanya - just so incredibly REDUNDANT. Kung lao is on the low end of the hype spectrum as well, not because his play style isn't interesting to watch (it can be), but because ppl just use him so damn often.

Most hype: shaolin jin (my main and you rarely see him in top 8s), Goro (reo's TF in particular was very hype at NEC), and any other low tier characters that ppl have the balls to use in tournament.

Wild card: Quan chi - while he is S tier and accordingly annoying as hell to fight as a player, I actually think that some of his combos, particularly in summoner, are among the most creative and beautiful combos in the game. For that reason I don't mind watching him in tournament, as players like Mike are really able to create some elegant and very evil bat-related trickery with him.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
You know how this goes.

Least hype to watch- same top tiers you always see/face winning.

Most hype to watch- low tiers/underused characters performing well or winning.

That's the case in most fighting games though.
there are exceptions to that though, which is why I mentioned Quan. He is obviously top tier but I don't mind watching top Quan players fighting in tournament

i enjoy watching good predator players also

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I don't get hyped for characters, just for matchups. Like I'll watch Tanya all day if she's fighting a good Ferra/Torr. But Tanya vs Lao or Cassie vs Cassie will put me to sleep. It's always so satisfying to see a weird character beating up on a top-tier.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
there are exceptions to that though, which is why I mentioned Quan. He is obviously top tier but I don't mind watching top Quan players fighting in tournament

i enjoy watching good predator players also
Maybe because I fight Pred on a regular basis, but watching him turns my stomach lol.

For me least hype is Tanya. Just an ugly playstyle to watch. Second is Lao. How many times can you watch pow pow pow EX Hat Spin pow pow?

Most hype? There's a lot of hype characters. All Jax, Spec Ops Cassie, HT Jacqui, Gunslinger Erron, all Kitana, Ferra/Torr, etc.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Least hype for me is easily Tanya. I think Sonicfox is awesome and I always root for him but at NEC when he and Dragon both picked Tanya it was just antihype lol

Most hype - Jason gets me hype, im a huge fan and he also doesn't get a lot of representation so seeing people play as him gets me hyped, but I get hype whenever I see somebody using some of the characters you don't see a lot though. I don't even like Ferra/torr much but seeing somebody use him at a tournament was awesome. Oh and Reo using (and winning with) Goro, that had me hype af lol

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Most Hype: Jax, F/T (Biased), Impostor Shinnok, Stunt Double Cage

Least Hype: Kobu Tanya (I think the other two could be really hype.), Erron

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Maybe because I fight Pred on a regular basis, but watching him turns my stomach lol.

For me least hype is Tanya. Just an ugly playstyle to watch. Second is Lao. How many times can you watch pow pow pow EX Hat Spin pow pow?

Most hype? There's a lot of hype characters. All Jax, Spec Ops Cassie, HT Jacqui, Gunslinger Erron, all Kitana, Ferra/Torr, etc.
at least we agree on tanya. and I'm really only referring to kobu of course, I never see anyone use the other variations so I keep an open mind with those.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Tanya is my least favorite. Not because I disagree with her as a character, but she's so boring to watch. It speaks volumes about a character that when she uses any move but rekkas everyone is amazed.

I'm not saying she is or.isn't easy to.play, just that she's boring.to watch

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Hypest.. Ive always liked watching Jax when he gets rolling. Not just saying that because he's my new main either, he's just brutal and fun to watch when he's on a role. Quan can be fun to watch, his vortex is just entertaining. I like seeing how the Quan mixes it up and the opponent reacts.

But hypest period? Blood God Kotal. NO ONE is hype like BG. The possibility of combos from the 60's through the 90's just screams hype. Imo he's in a hype tier by himself.

I find some Lao matches hype personally. KL can be played very batshit crazy and that can make him entertaining. GM Sub is hype from a technical standpoint.

Other unhype characters.. Jason. He's hype to see WIN but his matches usually don't 'look' cool. Kano is another one.. It's weird. Again , I think he's hype to see win becauae I love the character, but Kano, from an aesthetic nstandpoint looks like he's going to work. Just matter of fact ass whooping. On top of that most successful Kano's play a patient, footsie type of game which, while I totally respect it, ismt crazy hype to watch.

Hm, who else.. Shinnok isn't terribly fun to watch unless it's Necromancer. The flick is.hilarious. Predator is meh and his screamy growly sound effect thing grates on my nerves.

Last edited:

SoapBar

My pussy, my rules
All the people listing Kobu Rekkya as anti-hype. <3

But on topic:
Hype-Jax/Kotal.
No hype-Kobu Rekkya.

Desperdicio

Tell me, do you bleed?
Actually, it goes this way:

Hype to watch: Characters you play.
Not hype to watch: Characters that you don't like for any of the following reasons:
1) The character's design or background is bad, so you simply don't like the character, regardless of their gameplay.
2) Someone is beating you with that character.
3) You don't know anything about the character.

The most common are 2 and 3, though people will tell you: "It's just that they aren't fun to watch", because they aren't willing to admit their ignorance.