What's new

Strategy Most Efficient Trait Usage

SEV

Noob
I have noticed that many Flash players, myself included, use trait almost exclusively off of our low and overhead strings when there are other, and arguably better, times to use it. So this is a little write up about the most efficient usage of trait, at least in my opinion. Below is some simple data and my thought process behind my opinion.

Flash's trait allows us to extend our combos for ~14% more damage, and is generally done from five different strings: D1, F2, B2, B/F3, and D2. Below is a comparison of these combos(all strings using LK(MB) as launching special due to general usage and BnBs).

F2 Combo: 54% for 1 Bar of Meter for a 13% damage bonus, up to 18% for 59%.

D1 Combo: 53% for 1 Bar of Meter for a 14% damage bonus, up to 19% for 58%.

B2 Combo: 56% for 1 Bar of Meter for a 14% damage bonus, up to 19% for 61%.

B/F3 Combo: 52/53% Meterless for a 14/15% damage bonus.

D2 Combo: 42% Meterless for a 14% damage bonus.

LK x7 Chip: 14%

Of all the damage bonuses the most realistic numbers to pay attention to would be the LK(MB) as that is the most commonly used launcher, with the exception of hit confirming B22 into Sonic Pound.

Currently trait is used almost exclusively off of special launchers, mainly LK, which will give between 13-19% more damage for the cost of 1 bar of meter when it could be used off of a B/F3 or D2 for a 14-15% damage bonus, realistically an equivalent damage bonus, without have to spend any meter. Also, many Flash players still use the 21-22% D2 combo instead of the 28% due to the strict timing it requires so depending on your combo it could be a 20-21% increase.

Although doing 53-61% damaging combos may seem godlike and demoralizing, us Flash players need to start viewing trait as free ~14% damage(similar to BA's trait) rather than a 53%+ combo. Because of this, it is my opinion that Flash players need to start reprioritizing their usage of trait so that we use it off of B/F3 and D2 if it is available and optimal as it gives the same damage bonus without having to spend any meter, meter that Flash builds slowly :cool:, and potentially leading to more trait up time in a match due to possibly using it more frequently.

So let me know what you guys think.

BoricuaHeat
Zyphox
AYSAMO
LEGEND
SaJa
Xenrail
Solo_
SidTheHaze
AK Harold

AYSAMO

Noob
I just think trait is way too valuable. You really only get to use it once a match properly, twice if you're super lucky and they don't clash/for some reason didn't clash upon trait activating. If it had a much shorter cooldown this would be acceptable, but being able to completely flip a match around with 61% is too good. His traitless BnBs are already really good. Any of his starters off a MB LK can still get you 40% or more. And you're always going to be sitting on meter in this game.

Although in certain matchups, like vs superman, I might want to start using trait after a d2. Since that is definitely your main source of damage outside MB LC in that MU.

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
I always use trait at the start of the round if I hit them with a b22 on block or hit, free 50/50 mix ups without having to worry about push block.

As for the second round I am trying to find the best unclashable set ups but their is only so much you can do with a mere 6 seconds.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I'm using my trait to take some advance for the first round and then in 2nd round I deal my trait with their wagger (they actually clash even if they have 95% bar life so it's kind of waste but they have no choice).
So my 2 traits will take off +50% & wagger from my opponent. Look legit (^^;

SEV

Noob
As for the second round I am trying to find the best unclashable set ups but their is only so much you can do with a mere 6 seconds.
I'm starting to feel that trait usage second round either needs to be used on first touch for the chance to have it back up a second time that round and to make them waste their wager, or just keep doings traitless BnBs and save trait until after they clash. Unless if they're half life and sitting on their clash it seems like I take more damage, letting them gain on me, trying to prevent the clash.

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
I'm starting to feel that trait usage second round either needs to be used on first touch for the chance to have it back up a second time that round, or just keep doings traitless BnBs and save trait until after they clash. Unless if they're half life and sitting on their clash it seems like you take more damage, evening out the match more, trying to prevent the clash.
I always use trait twice during a match and everytime I get clashed, with the meter advantage but I just wasted my pressure options so I don't have to worry about clash, which just doesn't seem worth. Unclashable combos are a pain online.

SEV

Noob
I just think trait is way too valuable. You really only get to use it once a match properly, twice if you're super lucky and they don't clash/for some reason didn't clash upon trait activating. If it had a much shorter cooldown this would be acceptable, but being able to completely flip a match around with 61% is too good. His traitless BnBs are already really good. Any of his starters off a MB LK can still get you 40% or more. And you're always going to be sitting on meter in this game.
I didn't have the damage posted at the time but it's still 53% from B/F3, which is what you're gonna get from your average trait BnB, and from D2 it's still 42%, which is still a half life meterless combo. I see what you're saying though but my reasoning behind making this is that I will watch Flash players connect with D2 or F3 with trait available and not use it even in times when they're opponent is half life without clash; in other words it doesn't even register as an option. I am trying to look at it as ~14% free damage(similar to BA's trait) and it should be used whenever it is optimal and available so that we can use it again as soon as possible after the 20 second cooldown. I am not saying that we should save it for D2 and F3 combos so we never have to use meter, just saying that if we can get the bonus damage without having to spend the bar of meter for it, why not?

SEV is correct in thinking this way. it is the reason I promote trait on meterless targets when they block or using trait for nonclash damage. it is bonus damage and should be utilised on cooldown to maximize damage. essentially varying how you deal the 15% damage is critical to forcing a player make bad decisions too. there is no good flash yet bc our trait is op but we do not capitalize on it yet. we really should see 4 trait a game instead of usual 2. great job on damage comparisons, add 14% block damage on trait kick x 7 assuming they block.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
They do lose meter for doing that though and two reads and you've made up your damage.

1 meter against a 20sec trait which could do 60% is a fucking good trade imo. Ofc flash's trait allows him to dodge pushblock but it's not that viable in real game.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
1 meter against a 20sec trait which could do 60% is a fucking good trade imo. Ofc flash's trait allows him to dodge pushblock but it's not that viable in real game.
Yeah. MB kancel if you read it too. lol.

I think it's good for pressure though. Krayzie is better at using it that way than I am.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Yeah. MB kancel if you read it too. lol.

I think it's good for pressure though. Krayzie is better at using it that way than I am.

I'm not saying it's bad or useless but better doing big damages (I guess if people complain about it it's the greatest xD) or kill their wagger.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm not saying it's bad or useless but better doing big damages (I guess if people complain about it it's the greatest xD) or kill their wagger.

Well if you think about it the way the OP put it, you're not sacrificing that much for this and kan make it up with pressure.

If it's going to kill it's better to go for damage though.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I've got 54% from b/f3 doing trait, LKx4, b22, LK, b22f3 charge.

For b3 just walk forward a bit before using 4.