What's new

Mortal Kombat Trilogy Tournament (Venezuela) 12/10/2006

dreemernj

Ambassador
A casual tournament in MKT N64 works if the players agree not to just pick the really powerful characters and abuse them or to simply abuse the brokenness of the game. Noob can win by getting 1 projectile. Rain can win by getting one roundhouse. Sheeva has huge damage combos and the easiest corner inf in MK history.

And you need to ban the bosses as well since they are...bosses. They do too much damage and their block+uppercut is broken.

Mario

Noob
dreemernj said:
A casual tournament in MKT N64 works if the players agree not to just pick the really powerful characters and abuse them or to simply abuse the brokenness of the game. Noob can win by getting 1 projectile. Rain can win by getting one roundhouse. Sheeva has huge damage combos and the easiest corner inf in MK history.

And you need to ban the bosses as well since they are...bosses. They do too much damage and their block+uppercut is broken.
I know about that corner infinite, but if anything, that would give N64 Trilogy a tad more balance. It can make the lowest tier character at least a threat in the corner. I don't think it really takes away from the game. And that Sheeva player didn't use it once and still won against God-tier characters, convincingly. The opportunity to perform that infinite never presented itself anyway, so seeing it in actual combat would probably be a rare sight.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
There are things about the engine that were changed, so basically for anyone who hasn't really played it but is good at MKT on PSX or UMK3 arcade, they would have to compensate for things they shouldn't. It's almost like it's a different game. Recovery times are cut all over the place too.

Lex

MKKhanzo: Ded is from Bulgary jahha
it would be more entertaining if we could understand all the smack talk going on in the foreign vids =D

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Her ducking HK is so fast that you can actually miss it in between hits.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
well, they banned noob and rain from their tournament and they abused the gameplay proficiently. They all are serious players so the game definitively can be taken seriously, if people really are into the game.
I agree with shock, it's almost a whole different game, I've thought that from the start. every home version of mk it's just another game to me...there's no point of comparison imo.

dreemernj

Ambassador
DAVE101 said:
dreemernj said:
Sheeva has huge damage combos and the easiest corner inf in MK history.
I guess we don't count MK1 for super nintendo.
I find Sheeva's easier but I haven't played MK1 for SNES in a while. The recovery times in N64 are just cut to bits.

dreemernj

Ambassador
Mario said:
dreemernj said:

I know about that corner infinite, but if anything, that would give N64 Trilogy a tad more balance. It can make the lowest tier character at least a threat in the corner. I don't think it really takes away from the game. And that Sheeva player didn't use it once and still won against God-tier characters, convincingly. The opportunity to perform that infinite never presented itself anyway, so seeing it in actual combat would probably be a rare sight.
The problem with that is Sheeva isn't considered low tier because of the damage she can do. 2 autocombos wins with her. In other versions of the game it's mostly due to her size and vulnerability. It's different in N64 because the entire game is different.

The inf is just a result of their cutting down recovery times. That and frame cutting happen all over the place on that game which really changes it into a game where things are safer to do across the board. Less risk and less depth. And it also creates this situation where the D+HK is fast enough that pretty much everybody can get at least 3 in the corner. Most people can get 4 or 5 and Sheeva and Shang have the infinite.

And that's an infinite that, if tried for, is actually pretty easy to get. It just takes a popup near the corner. The opportunity didn't appear to present itself because the person using her wasn't trying to win by any means necessary. He was just playing. And MKT for N64 or PSX is fun for that sort of thing, but neither is a game that can really be taken all that seriously.

Once upon a time it was nice having MKT for PSX because if you ignore the additional content, it's basically UMK3, which was great before there was a good way to play UMK3. But in the end, like the N64 version, it is a broken game and it requires characters be banned (which automatically cuts down how serious it can be taken). It's a fun game that is good for casual play.

NinjaGrinder said:
well, they banned noob and rain from their tournament and they abused the gameplay proficiently. They all are serious players so the game definitively can be taken seriously, if people really are into the game.
I agree with shock, it's almost a whole different game, I've thought that from the start. every home version of mk it's just another game to me...there's no point of comparison imo.
This is exactly how I felt about all home versions of MK myself, and why I never really played them. Play on an arcade machine pretty much daily, then try and deal with a controler, missing frames, choppier graphics, and yea the games are completely different when it come down to the nitty gritty. I never even owned trilogy, mainly because there wasnt any competition on it except for the computer (none of my friends really play). That plus the games change in pace and moves... totally different game. But that doesnt mean it cant be played competitively. Video was definetly cool to watch.

Mario

Noob
dreemernj said:
Mario said:
dreemernj said:

The problem with that is Sheeva isn't considered low tier because of the damage she can do. 2 autocombos wins with her. In other versions of the game it's mostly due to her size and vulnerability. It's different in N64 because the entire game is different.

The inf is just a result of their cutting down recovery times. That and frame cutting happen all over the place on that game which really changes it into a game where things are safer to do across the board. Less risk and less depth. And it also creates this situation where the D+HK is fast enough that pretty much everybody can get at least 3 in the corner. Most people can get 4 or 5 and Sheeva and Shang have the infinite.

And that's an infinite that, if tried for, is actually pretty easy to get. It just takes a popup near the corner. The opportunity didn't appear to present itself because the person using her wasn't trying to win by any means necessary. He was just playing. And MKT for N64 or PSX is fun for that sort of thing, but neither is a game that can really be taken all that seriously.

Once upon a time it was nice having MKT for PSX because if you ignore the additional content, it's basically UMK3, which was great before there was a good way to play UMK3. But in the end, like the N64 version, it is a broken game and it requires characters be banned (which automatically cuts down how serious it can be taken). It's a fun game that is good for casual play.
I just tried doing a pop-up near the corner with Sheeva, and I can't get the infinite to work at all (the emulated N64 version). At best, just one duck kick will connect. If you're too close to the corner when you perform the pop-up, you'll just get pushed away. If farther, Sheeva does not seem to be fast enough to position herself appropriately for the infinite. Unless you're saying there is a way to cancel the push-out?

"The opportunity didn't appear to present itself because the person using her wasn't trying to win by any means necessary. He was just playing."

He was playing in a tournament. I think if it were easy for him to get in the heat of combat, he would have went for it. Especially since he was playing against a Kabal player.

dreemernj

Ambassador
You can do popup, walk in, D+HK inf as long as sheeva is closer than 1/2 screen distance from the corner when the combo starts. That's for standing. She can be farther away if the first hit is a JPS. Maybe you are walking in too far after the popup? Her D+HK has some crazy reach.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I think Sheeva can be farther than 1/2 screen, but the person she's doing it to has to be within 1/2 screen of the corner.

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
dreemernj said:
You can do popup, walk in, D+HK inf as long as sheeva is closer than 1/2 screen distance from the corner when the combo starts. That's for standing. She can be farther away if the first hit is a JPS. Maybe you are walking in too far after the popup? Her D+HK has some crazy reach.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, I think Sheeva can be farther than 1/2 screen, but the person she's doing it to has to be within 1/2 screen of the corner.
that's not happening on a close match. it's really not an "all time" type of situation...
and since he was playing vs kabal, he didn't want him to lock sheeva in the corner, nor kabal would allow sheeva to get him to his corner. the kabal player was attacking well. it's just the sheeva player was too good for him.
and I don't think that silly inf is "playing to win by any means necessary"...it was way easier for him to beat the kabal player the way he did. counter his runjab/jumps etc

Mario

Noob
dreemernj said:

I finally got it to work, but there isn't much leverage. A tad too close, and you'll get pushed away. A tad too far, and it doesn't work. It seems that you have to be at a precise distance for it to infinite. I don't think it would be easy to achieve in a heated match at high level play. You need a bit of luck.

dreemernj

Ambassador
NinjaGrinder said:
dreemernj said:

that's not happening on a close match. it's really not an "all time" type of situation...
and since he was playing vs kabal, he didn't want him to lock sheeva in the corner, nor kabal would allow sheeva to get him to his corner. the kabal player was attacking well. it's just the sheeva player was too good for him.
and I don't think that silly inf is "playing to win by any means necessary"...it was way easier for him to beat the kabal player the way he did. counter his runjab/jumps etc
Thats true, he didn't really need to push it too far since he was winning.

ded_ said:
there is mkt for n64? :shock:
not, there is Kamasutra for Nintendo 64 xD...
btw, sheeva rulz on MKT for N64, im playing with her, i´ll test my sheeva against hanzo just to see how high tier she are ^_^ i guess sheeva have to be in a good place in the top tier list (for N64)

ded

Elder God
rzp said:
ded_ said:
there is mkt for n64? :shock:
not, there is Kamasutra for Nintendo 64 xD...
btw, sheeva rulz on MKT for N64, im playing with her, i´ll test my sheeva against hanzo just to see how high tier she are ^_^ i guess sheeva have to be in a good place in the top tier list (for N64)
she is a little more changed yeah! does her new 4 hit combo has any usage anyway? LOL

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!! i forgot to put this shit on the new video damm it :cry: well i could put it in the Sadistict don´t you think puted_?

ded

Elder God
dont pretend to have a knowledge guys, you both forgot it because you are jerks... :wink:

That was great. If you guys have another n64 tourny plz record that one too. This is like the only good player matches I have seen for this version.