What's new

Mortal Kombat - The story thus far + story based character speculation

Noob
Well, apparently the story is similar to this: (taken from trmk.org)

The game takes place after Armageddon: "So we're kind of doing a Back to the Future type of thing, where Raiden is about to be killed by Shao Kahn, and just before he delivers the last blow, he sends a mental message to his earlier self, so the camera rewinds back to Mortal Kombat 1. The Raiden from back then gets a message and he doesn't know what's going on, but he knows something bad's going to happen, and the game spans Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3, retelling the story with an enlightened Raiden, and he's changing the course of things, so everything you've seen happen before – Liu Kang winning, the guys turning into cybernetic ninjas, are changed around, so you might see a character become cybernetic who wasn't before, and so you see a different version [of events]."
I think this is how they will retcon the storyline of alot of people to clear up certain characters' existence in UMK3 and MK4... and possibly wipe the slate clean(or change the events) of MKDA through MKA.

If some ninjas aren't cybernetic, we may lose R.Smoke entirely and just keep H.Smoke. Or the complete reverse...we lose H.Smoke entirely and R.Smoke remains. We see Cyrax regains his soul, so he may not even be cybernetic at all. We see no Usub, because he has no scar, but since the game spans MK1-3, I think it might be before he got the scar. There's also the chance that SZ in the trailer is Classic SZ and his brother(USub) went cybernetic(instead of escaping while Smoke was caught).

I think there's a definite possibility that Quan Chi will be in the game because he was retconned into the storyline in MKM:Sub-Zero and that is canon to the story because it's when Classic SZ and Scorp first meet and where CSZ kills Scorp. This is all prior to MK1, actually, so if there is some change of events, then Quan could very well make his way into this game.

Boon is talking about a roster of about 26 characters, which is about the same as UMK3(23), so we aren't talking about too many changes from from classic chars that made it into MK-UMK3 with some possible differences.

Confirmed:
Scorpion
Mileena
Reptile
Sub-Zero
Kung Lao
Johnny Cage
Nightwolf
Sektor

Suspected: - I see no reason why these characters wouldn't be included, story wise.
Raiden
Smoke(in some form)
Ermac
Cyrax(in some form)
Sonya
Jax
Stryker
Kitana
Jade
Sheeva
Shang Tsung
Kabal
Kano
Liu Kang
Sindel

Possibilites
Quan Chi
Usub(in some form)
Noob(if the SZ in "Confirmed" is Usub already, then this is CSub in wraith form)
Rain(remember, MKT storyline supercedes UMK3 which supercedes MK3)
Shao Kahn - though, possibly not playable

And, as stated in the quote, it's possible that Liu Kang never wins MK1... maybe Raiden does, or even Goro/Shang Tsung. If either of them win, then the events of MK2 would never need to actually happen, and the invasion of Earthrealm would start immediately after MK1, making MK3's storyline happen before MK2... seems plausible because that would mean we could get USub pre-scar(MK2 doesn't happen, and we can only assume that the scar happens somewhere between 2 and 3), and CSub in the form of Noob.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Ooooh, I likes ^_^

After reading that, I am 99.99% positive that Quan Chi is in. He was ready for DLC in MKvDC but Midway broke so it never happened.

Noob
Konqrr said:
Ooooh, I likes ^_^

After reading that, I am 99.99% positive that Quan Chi is in. He was ready for DLC in MKvDC but Midway broke so it never happened.
I have always loved the MK storyline...even though some of it never seems plausible... Raiden's earlier self telepathy? Anyway, I think that this kind of speculation is fun and will help us really see who could make the cast.

GoldenOreos

Arcade Tech
sweet, i hope ermace makes it, i dont see why he wouldnt though. a human cyrax could be cool depending on how his specials are etc

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
1. I guarantee Ermac will be in it. He is easily one of the most popular characters in the entire series. Without him, even DLC, it would be a GIGANTIC disappointment and I know I don't speak for myself.

2. With all the rumors and hints from Boon, Cyrax pretty much has to be human or the audience is going to be shocked. I mean, all that talk and it doesn't happen? Something awkward there.

3. It's strange to think that Baraka was actually only in one of the MK titles between 1-3 (not including Trilogy), but it shouldn't hurt his chances to be in MK9.

4. It may be very likely that Shang Tsung is old like in MK1 if Goro wins/won MK1.

5. Stryker better not look like a cop out of San Fransisco again...

6. I wonder about Kintaro and Motaro?

Dreamcatcher said:
4. It may be very likely that Shang Tsung is old like in MK1 if Goro wins/won MK1.
Well on one of the stages it appears that shang tsung is sitting there in the background as his older self :)

If a PS2 disc can hold these much players:

Why can't MK9 give us all the characters up to MK3? If what Boon said in the interviews that MK9 will kinda go back to MK1 to MK3 then we shouldn't see the newer characters such from UMK3? Its possible the new comers like Ermac and Noob Saibot even Sub-zero's brother would be DLC. The original characters in the game would focus on MK1-MK3. *Just my IMO..*

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Well, Boon confirmed in this newer interview I found... that this MK is NOT a reboot...but rather retelling of MK1-MK3 and Raiden sending himself a message from the future to his past self will alter a few things but nothing crazy I reckon...

He also didn't rule out returning characters from other MK games as well as newer ones all together ;)

But that will be keep on the downlow...you know the MK team lol. They love to surprise us :) and he also said the story element will surprise the fans too so I can't wait!